Trailer Hitch Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Trailer Hitch Wiring?

Well there is a "best way" and there is a satisfactory way.

U-Haul may go by Ford's recommendation.... the "kit" way.

Funny, even though I have the 2005 hybrid Escape, U-haul says it has the same towing capacity as the V6 Escape.

I "believe" that is true after field testing my Hybrid, but we all know that is NOT Ford's "recommendation" so you have to take U-Haul's opinions with a grain of salt.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Well there is a "best way" and there is a satisfactory way.

U-Haul may go by Ford's recommendation.... the "kit" way.

Funny, even though I have the 2005 hybrid Escape, U-haul says it has the same towing capacity as the V6 Escape.

I "believe" that is true after field testing my Hybrid, but we all know that is NOT Ford's "recommendation" so you have to take U-Haul's opinions with a grain of salt.
The U-Haul site's hitch finder doesn't even ask what engine one has with the FE, unless they changed it! Ford's specs for towing isn't the same for the I4 and V6.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

Just had a hitch installed with the wire running up to the battery.Pulled the trailer twice with no problem.Then today,I plug the harness together and the marker/tail lights come on on the trailer.Go up front to check the light switch and it's off.So I turn the park lamps on and the trailer lights go out.Turn and brake light on trailer work.Tail lights on the FEH work ok.Cecked fuse on batt wire and it looks ok.?????

Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Feral Engineer

I'd double check all my grounds. Trailer light problems are frequently a grounding problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

The guy that installed it thinks it's the electronic Modulite box,so he ordered another one.Grounds are fine.The trailer lights are coming on with no active light circuits from the vehicle.The only power source would be from the hot wire from the battery thru that modulite box to the trailer harness.So,we'll see.

Last edited by locknut; 11-21-2013 at 05:21 PM.