Transmission Dipstick on 2009 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Transmission Dipstick on 2009 FEH

Hi! Does anybody know where is the location of the Transmission Dipstick on a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid? I want to check the transmission fluid, but the dipstick is nowhere to be found.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Default Re: Transmission Dipstick on 2009 FEH

Originally Posted by thanksjc
Hi! Does anybody know where is the location of the Transmission Dipstick on a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid? I want to check the transmission fluid, but the dipstick is nowhere to be found.
There is no dipstick because that is a sealed transmission (eCVT). Also, there is no required fluid changes.

GaryG

Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

These days most automatic transmissions are sealed, no dipstick, no service interval.

The manufacturers have grown tired of replacing transmissions under warrantly simply because some owner, out of ignorance, or dealer, PROFITS, MUCKED with it, overfilled or underfilled the ATF.

Most of these new systems specify ATF fills to within plus or minus a half pint.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 PM
Enthusiast

TLDR: I'm searching for transmission maintenance guidance.

Hi, I own a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid as well, and I have a question about the transmission fluid. The vehicle seems to drive smooth. However, with age, it does seem to shift a littler harder.

Back in 2004, I owned a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT and I remember how the vehicle started to feel while driving as the transmission started to act up, especially in warmer weather. The transmission would kinda jump or adjust hard in and out of gears as it shifted. I never experienced it go out on me, but I knew it was on it's last leg. The shifting was generally smooth, except if I pushed the gas too hard and accelerated too quickly or if I attempted to brake too quickly. I could feel the vehicle reacting, or trying to adjust. Sometimes, it even seemed like it was about to blow the tranny out.

Anyhow, the reason I reference that experience is because I feel this slightly occurring in my FEH. It only happens sometimes, after I push the vehicle a little harder. I've gotten used to feeling out the transmission in the hybrid and can feel the difference between normal shifting and what seems to be unhealthy shifty. It doesn't happen often, I've only noticed it kinda harsh shifting maybe less then 5 times in the last few months and these could have been because of my driving those days was probably a bit more aggressive. I'm usually a casual driver and not too aggressive.

With the closed condition of the transmission, how do I remedy this if it does need a transmission flush or the fluid to be "updated". I mean, it's 8 years old and has 190k on it now. I'd prefer to be proactive if I can be, rather then waiting for something to break.

Any suggestions, input or guidance is appreciated.

Last edited by 09FEH; 05-19-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09FEH
TLDR: I'm searching for transmission maintenance guidance.

With the closed condition of the transmission, how do I remedy this if it does need a transmission flush or the fluid to be "updated". I mean, it's 8 years old and has 190k on it now. I'd prefer to be proactive if I can be, rather then waiting for something to break.

Any suggestions, input or guidance is appreciated.
There are some drivers who have successfully changed the e-CVT gear oil on Escape hybrids and claimed that it improved performance. If you search the internet you can probably find a how-to.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had a service garage change the transmission fluid on mine. I was trying to resolve a speed-related noise. Which eventually turned out to be a front wheel bearing. The garage reported no problem changing the fluid, and I thought it was a reasonable idea anyway because I bought the FEH used and did not know the service history.