Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

I'll be buying a new car probably in the June-July range and I'm 90% certain I'll be getting a hybrid SUV.

I was seriously looking at the Highlander Hybrid at first, and have even test driven one. I liked it, but I also want a fully-loaded model on any of these, so the pricetag on that one was a bit high.

So now I'm really focusing my research on the FEH and MMH. Can anyone tell me in layman's terms the differences? Are they mostly minor or are there some big changes in the MMH 2008 model that the FEH doesn't incorporate?

I'm also a bit concerned on the power these engines have. Does anyone feel like it's really underpowered? The Highlander did have plenty of power, and that was nice. From the numbers here, it looks like the MMH and FEH are only getting a couple MPG better than the Highlander...so is the tradeoff worth it?

Does a tow hitch come standard? I haven't seen that option listed, so I'm guessing it does.

Also, I have seen a "Premium package" listed on some websites for the MMH, but the Mercury website doesn't have such a package for the 2008 model...so I'm wondering which is correct. Again, I'm looking to get most of the major options available - leather, NAV, etc.

Is the AWD worth the money? I'm moving to Southern California later this year so I won't be in very bad weather except on ski trips. I'd hate to have a car that I simply couldn't use on those trips...but I'd also hate to pay $3K JUST for those trips...

Thanks for all the help you can give me. I'm pretty young for the Mercury brand (29), but the car looks very nice.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

The differences between the MMH and FEH are strictly cosmetic. As to what they are, I can't really help you, but the underlying mechanics are the same.

The FEH hasn't yet come with a tow hitch, and I believe that is also true for the '08s. For the '07s and back you can easily order a hitch and bolt it on yourself for around $100. If the hitch companies don't have an '08 hitch yet, they will fairly soon.

About the AWD. That's really up to you. It works well, and I haven't had any traction problems with it. But, driving a front wheel drive vehicle on a ski trip shouldn't be much of a problem, and your mileage is affected. Since I live in CO, I have the AWD. If I lived in SoCal, it would have been more difficult to justify.

If you want more power, the Toyota is definitely be the choice for you. As for the power of the FEH, I find it to be enough, but it does bug me from time to time when the CVT revs the engine way up. I have towed ~1000 pounds plus a full vehicle over the mountains between California and Oregon without any problems. I don't think anyone will argue that it is overpowered, though.

Well, my two cents is up. Good luck!

BTW, after 40,000 miles and 2 1/2 years I still love mine.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've never felt my 07 FEH AWD was underpowered. And the last two vehicles I owned before this were saddled with over 400hp, so I have a pretty good frame of reference for fast and not fast. The Escape has never made me feel in danger due to lack of power to merge onto an expressway or anything. The only weird thing was getting used to the CVT. You keep expecting your body to be subjected to shift changes but they never come!

As for the AWD, I would skip it for SoCal. You'll save money on the sticker, you'll get better MPG, and you'll get a better tax credit (if you qualify).

Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm on crutches right now but after I'm back up and going I'm going to test-drive the FEH and MMH. I may stick with the FEH just so I can say I drive a FORD and not a MERCURY haha.

I don't think I'll need the AWD after reading a lot of stuff on here and other sites. It'd be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth $50 a month or so on a payment, not to mention a few more bucks a month in gas!!

Looking forward to getting rid of my Expedition and more than doubling my MPG!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnymack
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm on crutches right now but after I'm back up and going I'm going to test-drive the FEH and MMH. I may stick with the FEH just so I can say I drive a FORD and not a MERCURY haha.

I don't think I'll need the AWD after reading a lot of stuff on here and other sites. It'd be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth $50 a month or so on a payment, not to mention a few more bucks a month in gas!!

Looking forward to getting rid of my Expedition and more than doubling my MPG!
Main difference is that the inside materials used for the leather and things might be a bit higher quality in the MMH, and there might be some more internal amenities like lumbar support etc. Mechanically they are the same. Its more of a marketing ploy than anything... the MMH is supposed to appeal to an upscale suburbanite who will be driving in the city and such. The FEH is suppose to be the more "rugged" option is supposed to appeal more to someone who plans to do a little more outdoors stuff like camping. Thats why its called AWD in the MMH (refined luxury feature for handling) and 4WD (implying off road capability) for hte FEH, when its exactly the same system.

It all depends on which look you like better.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

We like ours. I drove the FWD and 4WD back to back. The 4WD handled much better, tracked like is was on rails. for only $1600. more it was worth it to us.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Enthusiast

The tow hitch isn't standard or recomended at least on the ford escape hybrid 4wheel drive. While I love my car it does feel a bit underpowered. I've never driven an expedition or highlander but I would think the highlander would be similiar to the expedition. Maybe you can buy one not fully loaded.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Drive a Highlander hybrid and you will really know what under-powered feels like. I drove one and then drove a camry hybrid. The FEH 4WD = crisp turn in and accelerates well. The Highlander is none of the above. Factor in what dealers want and it's a no brainer. Toyota rules the auto market, Ford doesn't. We chose the path of least resistance.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
Drive a Highlander hybrid and you will really know what under-powered feels like. I drove one and then drove a camry hybrid. The FEH 4WD = crisp turn in and accelerates well. The Highlander is none of the above. Factor in what dealers want and it's a no brainer. Toyota rules the auto market, Ford doesn't. We chose the path of least resistance.

Um, I have both a Hylander Hybrid AWD and a FEH AWD. As far as power and accelleration goes, the Hylander will blow the FEH into the weeds. (It will also outrun most other cars and trucks.) 0-60 in 7.2 sec, 15.23 quarter mile Hylander Hybrid vs 0-60 in 14.7 sec, 20.1 quarter FEH.

The FEH gets 3 to 6 mpg better mileage.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I've actually RUN my FWD 2005 FEH from zero to 60 in just over 10 seconds.
It is VERY fast from zero - 40, and then tapers off pretty quick.
But I think most will agree you need power mostly for daily acceleration from stops, and not for hauling trailers up mountains. This is not a work-horse, and I think everyone knows that. It IS excellent for daily driving.

I also have a life-time (36,000 miles) at over 37 MPG, and more like 42 MPG in recent months.

FWD did fine in the worst Colorado winter in 20 years.

-John

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on a hybrid SUV...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands