Tune-Up (100K mileage) on 2009 FEH 2.5 Ltr

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tune-Up (100K mileage) on 2009 FEH 2.5 Ltr

Did anyone tried doing tune-up on a FEH?
How do you do it? My FEH is nearing 100K, so I'm planning to do it myself to save money.
Thank you.
Leo

Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tune-Up (100K mileage) on 2009 FEH 2.5 Ltr

I just had it done to mine at the stealership as they told me "Calgary does not fall under normal operating conditions". They changed the plugs and reprogrammed the PCM as well as other components with the latest software and I have to admit, the vehicle does run better and switched into EV quicker and lasted longer before the ICE kicked back in.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Default Re: Tune-Up (100K mileage) on 2009 FEH 2.5 Ltr

Originally Posted by wbonville
I just had it done to mine at the stealership as they told me "Calgary does not fall under normal operating conditions". They changed the plugs and reprogrammed the PCM as well as other components with the latest software and I have to admit, the vehicle does run better and switched into EV quicker and lasted longer before the ICE kicked back in.
Hi Will

Sounds like the dealer ripped you off. The PCM has a reflash inactive program built into the PCM. This is so if the operating PCM program gets corrupted or damaged, the as-built original programming can be reflashed for the original equipment your FEH came with. Newer or older PCM programming will not work and if the inactive PCM programming cannot be retrieved, the dealer has to give Ford your VIN so they can provide the original as-built programming to be installed in a new PCM for your vehicle.

I had my PCM get corrupted in my '05 FEH and it had to be towed to the dealer. Ford determined that programming in the auto door locks in the '05 gas Escape caused programming conflicts in the '05 FEH. For this reason, auto door locks where removed in the '05 FEH. Somehow, my '05 FEH was shipped to me with auto door locks but I kept getting a bad burning smell until the auto door locks quit working. The burning smell never came back but the PCM later got corrupted and had to be reflashed from the inactive side of my PCM. The Hybrid tech told me he was not going to activate auto door locks per Ford again. The auto lock programming was changed in the '06 FEH and it works without problems. As you can see, programming constantly changes and that's why when you order parts, the dealer needs your VIN most of the time now.

GaryG