Updating the Software?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Updating the Software?

Is there any way to get updates to the control software in our Escapes? I read about the 2008 Escape having a smoother transition between electric and gas, and also hear about the '06 Escapes having better fuel economy than the '05s.

Since they haven't changed the drivetrain, how do I go about getting this upgrade? Can I?

Just curious.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:55 AM
Default Re: Updating the Software?

Hi Salsbr

From talking to the hybrid sevice tech who reflashed my '05 FEH, and reading the '05 PCM/ED manual, I think Ford would have to make a special repair to the '05, to the "as built date" programming. If there was no problems with that program date like mine, they just retrieve the exsisting data in the PCM and reflash it in the operational portion of the PCM, I think.

My understanding is, added hardware and software such as heated seats, key anti-theft etc. with each build date, has changed programming. So reprogamming to update drivability without the modifications that have been made to the newer models could cause conflicts.

Another example, the tech said they have had a lot of problems with some electronic throttle body's on some FEH. Ford may have changed the design on the build date model's throttle body that works different than ours. So reprogramming may effect a lot of things.

GaryG

Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salsbr
Is there any way to get updates to the control software in our Escapes? I read about the 2008 Escape having a smoother transition between electric and gas, and also hear about the '06 Escapes having better fuel economy than the '05s.

Since they haven't changed the drivetrain, how do I go about getting this upgrade? Can I?

Just curious.
The thing about that (even going from '05 to '06--or sometimes even in the same model year by build date) is there could be numerous modifications that you don't know about to the vehicle. Just as an example they may have different oxygen sensors. Why would they make such a change? Cost. When they start building a new model year if they can find a supplier that will bid a cheaper part they might substitute it in. Its possible the new sensor might have a different response profile or different calibration. That would have to be in the software so the controller could account for it. So if you reflash your software to a newer model year... you might end up with an engine that runs poorly or not at all.

The techs will have no chance to know about all the little changes that may have occured to this build, model year etc. So for them flashing it could be a crapshoot that causes more trouble. Its likely they won't do it unless Ford SPECIFICALLY says the new software is compatible with the older builds.

You might ask how they could keep track of all this when they repair the vehicle... how would they know which part to use. They can type in the VIN and the system will point them to the right part number for that particular car because of its build date. But to do what you are asking they'd have to check and see alot of parts in the engine are all the same between the vehicles and which ones matter. I doubt they will risk it on a car that is currently running properly.

Last edited by TeeSter; 12-01-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I still like the idea, but you made some good points.