Useless USB

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Useless USB

Has anyone actually found a use for the USB port in the 09feh?

I have tried at least 4 different brands of usb drives with music on them, all I get is the not compatible message.

While I can play my Ipod nano using the usb, it doesn't charge using that port.

Please post the actual NAME and PART NUMBER of a usb drive that works for me!

Thanks
Sean

Old 12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Useless USB

All USB drives are basically the same, just a flash controller and flash memory connected to a USB interface. I would recommend you format the drive to FAT32 and see if you can get your music to play. FAT32 is the most widespread file system today, and the most compatible with multiple operating systems and devices.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Most usb drives come formatted as fat32, but some are encrypted and have software you need to run to use it on your pc. If that's the case, you'd need to format the drive to clean it up before using.

I always format mine as NTFS, which I'd wouldn't expect to work, but then I don't put music on it either.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

I keep my ipod nano plugged in via the usb and it stays fully charged throughout. Sounds like you may have an issue with yours if it is not charging.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

Mine works fine (charging the iPod). However, can you use the USB port to upload photos, or does that HAVE to be done with a CD?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Wink Re: Useless USB

Originally Posted by aGDevil2k
....However, can you use the USB port to upload photos, or does that HAVE to be done with a CD?
I tried both.... only the CD worked. yea that's what the manual said too...

PS The Sync site says the Ipod Nano does not work with sync... I think it's due to the ummm... USB not really USB hookup...

Old 12-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by way2muchkc4u
I tried both.... only the CD worked. yea that's what the manual said too...

PS The Sync site says the Ipod Nano does not work with sync... I think it's due to the ummm... USB not really USB hookup...
I guess mine must have a glitch (a Glenda the Good Glitch, I suppose) because my Nano works like a charm. It reads the directory and keeps it fully charged the entire time. In fact I charge mine after using it while running in the gym via my usb on my 09 FEHL.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I use my 60GB iPod (5th Generation) and it works fine. The only downside is if I update the playlists (I've got about 50GB worth of music on it), I have to wait about 15-20 mins for Sync to "index" my music & playlists (I assume it's not just reading it but also trying to build a voice-command list for everything on it). I can't play anything until it's done. I generally just leave that particular iPod in the car and rarely update it so that I don't have to endure the long wait.

I've tried my iPhone... says "not compatible".

Old 01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Useless USB

Well I posted this already but there is a small update that is fixing and adding some USB stuff to sync... Once I get it done I'll let you all know how it works out...

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Useless USB

Originally Posted by way2muchkc4u
Well I posted this already but there is a small update that is fixing and adding some USB stuff to sync... Once I get it done I'll let you all know how it works out...
Got the update... I now have V1.2 Sync.... almost 2.0 but not really....
Still not able to play my Nano. I think it's an iPod thing and not sync. But that's just my guess. Because if some of you can get the nano to work and I'm now updated but still no play back. It sounds like it's my ipods firmware... or some other tech thing I need to look into.

Enjoy the update!!

Quick Reply: Useless USB

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands