Very High Engine Rev for Low Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast
Post Very High Engine Rev for Low Speeds

Hi folks, having a very odd issue with my 2005 FEH w/ 99k miles.

No fault codes were displayed.

Had the power steering go out and very high engine rev problem come up around the same time. Fixed the power steering issue by buying a new PSCM.

High engine rev is still occuring, thought it was somehow tied to the power steering.

The car is having very high engine RPM's when going up to 30-40 miles per hour. Its having to get close to 4500RPM just to reach those miles, which is unlike any issue I've ever dealt with before.

Drove it last week at night time and got the STOP SAFELY NOW message when I pushed the car more than 4000RPM. Turned the car off and back on to get home.

Took it to a local mechanic, he believes that the engine is not shifting into 3rd or 4th gear. Told me to take it to Ford.

Ford spent a few days with the car and found a code related to Electronic Throttle Body. Asked for $700 for parts and labor to change it. I changed it out myself and was told that I should bring it back to Ford to be "reprogrammed."

Brought it back to Ford, and they said there was "nothing to reprogram" even though high rev issue was still there.

Not sure what else I should do now.
  • MECS pump was changed
  • Battery was changed last year
  • No fault codes via Torque and Bluetooth OBDII adapter
  • Blend Door Actuator was NOT replaced. Can this be causing the problem?

Old 01-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Very High Engine Rev for Low Speeds

Get Forscan. Torque is great for what it is, but there's a lot it can't do.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had a brief episode of high revs the first day it got cold here. In my case, it was unrelated to vehicle speed or throttle input. The engine would rev as I braked for a stoplight, hitting 3500 RPM as I rolled to a stop, then settling down slightly as I sat still. After it warmed up it stopped. Has not happened since.

It sounds like yours is related to engine speed and throttle input though, right? Like a slipping clutch?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rex B
I had a brief episode of high revs the first day it got cold here. In my case, it was unrelated to vehicle speed or throttle input. The engine would rev as I braked for a stoplight, hitting 3500 RPM as I rolled to a stop, then settling down slightly as I sat still.
That is caused by a cold battery being unable to accept the charge from regenerative braking while stopping. The ICE gets spun up by the MG to use the power that the battery can't accept.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Get Forscan. Torque is great for what it is, but there's a lot it can't do.
Thanks for the input.

Got the Forscan App. Used with ELM 327 v1.5 adapter. Only code that showed up was C1524, which I think is something related to Brake Pedal calibration.

Not sure how much this is related to my issue.

I'm seriously very confused with whats happening with the vehicle. Its also odd that Ford has been incapable of figuring it out, they're telling me to bring it back when their transmission guy is back from vacation.

-------------------

EDIT: Does anyone know any reputable Ford Escape Hybrid technicians in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area?

Last edited by tecz0r; 01-10-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
That is caused by a cold battery being unable to accept the charge from regenerative braking while stopping. The ICE gets spun up by the MG to use the power that the battery can't accept.
Well that makes sense. But why doesn’t it do that every cold morning?

Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

I have a ScanGuage and when SOC is very low it does this until it charges up a bit. Especially in reverse which is electric motor only. Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would think a low SOC would want all the regen it could get. Maybe it was also low battery temp?

I guess I did not look at the scangage when that was going on, or I did not see anything that was a red flag. Anyone know at what point this happens? Under 40 degrees?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 AM
Enthusiast

Hey everyone; just wanted to make a quick update to this post.

Here's a video of the problem happening when I was driving home around 3/4am from work. The road was on a slight incline but nothing I would necessarily call a "hill".

Video Link:

As you can see, despite giving gas and the RPM going up to 4000, the MPH simply doesn't change. At one point, it hard shifts back down to 1500RPM.

I've also decided that now is a good time to purchase a ScanGauge II, it should be coming in at the end of the week so I can see what the battery temperature/charge state is.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hello everyone. Just wanted to update this thread with some ScanGauge II values.

This is after driving around town for about 20 minutes. The outdoor temperature was about 65 degrees.

I'm not sure if anything looks out of the ordinary. After comparing my results to numbers I saw in the Sticky ScanGauge Thread, these don't look out suspect. Is there any other information I can provide that would show that my Blend Door Actuator is bad or Hybrid Fans are not working?

Quick Reply: Very High Engine Rev for Low Speeds

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands