Very strange electrical behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Very strange electrical behavior

Greetings

I have a 2005 FEH; I love this car. It it currently non-operational, and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Tongiht after driving for about 30 minutes, I shut it off and got some things from the cargo area. Upon closing the rear hatch I heard a loud click (location undetermined) and realized the car wasn't locking by the key remote.

Troubleshooting steps:

- I opened the door again and could hear a rapid clicking noise from under the dash. The interior lights did not come on. I tried started the car, and the battery light came on the dash. It did not start.

- Went through the manual and confirmed the power and fuel shutoffs were not a problem.

- I found a post on these forums suggesting a dead HV battery. Pushed the LV-to-HV jump button, and after 7-10 seconds the light went from steady green to a slow flash, and then out after 60-90 seconds.

- Tried jumping the LV battery. Left the leads connected for 10 minutes and then tried starting again. No luck. Tried the LV-HV jumping again (same behavior, slow flash after 7-10 seconds), and this time the interior lights came on, but it would not start.

From that point on, the yellow flashers and headlights have been flashing dimly at a very high rate, and the clicking noise under the dash has remained.

I have disconnected the negative lead on the battery which stopped all clicking/flashing, and have given up for the night.

Before I have it towed tomorrow, any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Very strange electrical behavior

Automatic reseting CB is causing the clicking noise.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by castleman
Greetings

I have a 2005 FEH; I love this car. It it currently non-operational, and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Tongiht after driving for about 30 minutes, I shut it off and got some things from the cargo area. Upon closing the rear hatch I heard a loud click (location undetermined) and realized the car wasn't locking by the key remote.

Troubleshooting steps:

- I opened the door again and could hear a rapid clicking noise from under the dash. The interior lights did not come on. I tried started the car, and the battery light came on the dash. It did not start.

- Went through the manual and confirmed the power and fuel shutoffs were not a problem.

- I found a post on these forums suggesting a dead HV battery. Pushed the LV-to-HV jump button, and after 7-10 seconds the light went from steady green to a slow flash, and then out after 60-90 seconds.

- Tried jumping the LV battery. Left the leads connected for 10 minutes and then tried starting again. No luck. Tried the LV-HV jumping again (same behavior, slow flash after 7-10 seconds), and this time the interior lights came on, but it would not start.

From that point on, the yellow flashers and headlights have been flashing dimly at a very high rate, and the clicking noise under the dash has remained.

I have disconnected the negative lead on the battery which stopped all clicking/flashing, and have given up for the night.

Before I have it towed tomorrow, any ideas?

Thanks!!!
You may have a shorted cell in the 12V battery or wiring harness. If you disconnect the 12V ground without the PCM properly shutting down all the relays you may be draining the HV battery now. Always pull the orange plug on the top of the HV battery when you disconnect a 12V ground for any length of time. Try testing the 12V battery as a start tomorrow and go from there.

GaryG

Old 11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Automatic reseting CB is causing the clicking noise.
Thanks! Is this something that is user serviceable, or will I be meeting the service folks tomorrow?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
You may have a shorted cell in the 12V battery or wiring harness. If you disconnect the 12V ground without the PCM properly shutting down all the relays you may be draining the HV battery now. Always pull the orange plug on the top of the HV battery when you disconnect a 12V ground for any length of time. Try testing the 12V battery as a start tomorrow and go from there.

GaryG
Thanks Gary! I'm headed down to the parking lot to do that now.