Vibration at 40-60mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Vibration at 40-60mph

I just bought an 07 FEH. It has 35k and is AWD. It has a pretty nasty vibration from about 40mph to 60mph. It gets better above 65mph, but is still there.

I had the tires replaced since the original tires were never rotated (fronts were chewed up). After replacing the tires and having the new tires balanced I still have the exact same vibration at the exact same speed.

I'm thinking it is some suspension issue, or drive shaft / half shaft vibration.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'd appreicate the help.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Vibration at 40-60mph

If you have a full size spare tire, I would replace each tire, one at a time, with the spare and see if the problem goes away. This would tell you whether you have a bent wheel. Warped rotors, sticking brake calipers, and delaminated emergency brake shoes can cause nasty vibrations. The warped rotors would be very obvious when braking.

Did the wear pattern on the front tires indicate any type of alignment problem? Any accident history?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by turbotaguy
I just bought an 07 FEH. It has 35k and is AWD. It has a pretty nasty vibration from about 40mph to 60mph. It gets better above 65mph, but is still there.

I had the tires replaced since the original tires were never rotated (fronts were chewed up). After replacing the tires and having the new tires balanced I still have the exact same vibration at the exact same speed.

I'm thinking it is some suspension issue, or drive shaft / half shaft vibration.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'd appreicate the help.
Try using a neutral glide test at that speed to determine if it's in the drivetrain or the wheels.

GaryG

Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok. I just finished doing the one wheel at a time replacement with the spare and it made no difference at all. I think I can safely count out the tires and wheels.

I have put the car in neutral at 45-50mph and it didn't make any difference either. I also tried different RPM's of engine operation at different speeds between 40-60mph and it made no difference. The vibration was still there.

I did a carfax and Autocheck before I bought the car and it has no accident history. I just looked through the front end and each fender and the hood all have the original sticker with the VIN number on it so I think they are all original.

Other than this vibration, the car drives great. It feels just like my '06 FEH did which I bought new. I am getting 28.5 average mpg right now which seems about right for this time of year and it being an AWD model.

I'd appreciate any other feedback.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Feral Engineer

If not wheels and tires, it is most likely the driveshaft. Look it over carefully for signs of damage, lost balance weights, or worn universal joints.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If it were me, I'd have the tires computer spin balanced at a shop other than the one you bought them from. I'd Also have a 4-wheel alignment check to see if there are some suspension issues.
Did your replacement tires have equal or better specs than the originals?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Feral Engineer

It is unlikely the problem is the wheels / tires if the one at a time test showed no difference. Alignment / suspension problems won't cause the issue as described.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Based on some of the research I've done I'm guessing it's the drive shaft, axles, or u-joints. I feel the vibration in my butt, and the stuff in the bottom of my center console makes noise (vibrates). I hope to be putting my new Premium Care extended warranty to work in the next couple of weeks.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

what was the problem? i have the same problem

Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Rear driveshaft. The dealer replaced it and it is much improved, but still vibrates a bit.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 40-60mph

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands