Warning Brake Lights - Grounding Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Warning Brake Lights - Grounding Problem

This morning, after travelling about 300 ft from start-up, in my 2006 Escape Hybrid, I hear a beep, then the brake warning light goes on and stays on until getting to my destination, about 4 miles away. The vehicle is still quite young - about 8,900 miles on it. There was no brake failure. The brake fluid level was OK. It's the same "beep" sound I hear when I engage the emergency brake. I tried this, thinking the emergency brake was not disengaged and still on. The light stayed on. A week ago, this similar problem happened - this time, right at start-up until I shut the engine off, again 3-4 miles away. I went to the dealership over the weekend and they told me that the computer said I had a "grounding" problem.
I'ld like to know if anyone has had this problem happen to them and Yes, what was the corrective action taken by the dealership.I'm not sure if this problem has anything to do with the emergency brake. There has never been any warning "message" displayed on the instrument cluster. Also, the problem has been intermittent - does not happen all the time.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Default Re: Warning Brake Lights - Grounding Problem

Originally Posted by jurdean
This morning, after travelling about 300 ft from start-up, in my 2006 Escape Hybrid, I hear a beep, then the brake warning light goes on and stays on until getting to my destination, about 4 miles away. The vehicle is still quite young - about 8,900 miles on it. There was no brake failure. The brake fluid level was OK. It's the same "beep" sound I hear when I engage the emergency brake. I tried this, thinking the emergency brake was not disengaged and still on. The light stayed on. A week ago, this similar problem happened - this time, right at start-up until I shut the engine off, again 3-4 miles away. I went to the dealership over the weekend and they told me that the computer said I had a "grounding" problem.
I'ld like to know if anyone has had this problem happen to them and Yes, what was the corrective action taken by the dealership.I'm not sure if this problem has anything to do with the emergency brake. There has never been any warning "message" displayed on the instrument cluster. Also, the problem has been intermittent - does not happen all the time.
There are a number of grounding cables my Hybrid Tech pointed out to me that often cause intermittent problems. He pointed out one for the brake module as well as others he made sure were grounding properly.

GaryG