Warranty Repairs

Old 07-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Warranty Repairs

Has anyone had any warranty work done yet on their FEH? Specifically, what has gone wrong?

My cruise control stopped working last week and I took it in for a look today. After several hours, the dealer replaced some sort of switch. Apparently, the car was sensing "that the brake was on at all times" and would therefore not engage the cruise control.

I immediately asked whether the excessive time it took to repair, and the switch itself, had anything to do with the new hybrid technology. (One of my big fears about buying a hybrid will be the extra cost of repairs once it comes off warranty.) They kind of danced around the topic and told me the technicians just weren't used to working on the cars yet. They also mentioned that a similar switch has been a problem on F150s recently, that they've caused fires, and that they've been recalled.

So, just looking for any similar experiences and/or comments. Thanks!!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Warranty Repairs

Dear Fired Up,

I have searched both recalls and TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) at Ford and have found nothing in either 2005-2006 F-150s, Escapes, or Escape Hybrids that seemed related to your problem. I lurch or moderate at many Hybrid websites and have heard nothing about this.

I do not think you have much to worry about. Your 36K warranty will cover everything and if you think extending to 100k for about $2,000 is worth it you can exercise ESP before you get there.

The only thing I found in TSBs (from Ford Fleet) I reprint below but I have heard about probably less than a dozen people who have had this failure and it is more related to the ABS.

TSB
05-8-5 ABS AND BRAKE WARNING LAMP ON WITH DTC C1526 - DTC C1524 MAY ALSO BE PRESENT - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 2/11/2005

Publication Date: April 8, 2005

FORD: 2005 Escape Hybrid

ISSUE:
Some 2005 Escape Hybrid vehicles built prior to 2/11/2005, may exhibit the yellow ABS and the red brake warning lamps illuminating after the engine is started, and an increase in brake pedal effort. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1526 (Brake Pedal Travel Sensor) will be present in the ABS module, C1524 (Brake Pedal Travel Sensor Calibration Incomplete) may also be present.

ACTION:
Install a revised master cylinder. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 206-06.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
5M6Z-2140-B Master Cylinder

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
050805A 2005 Escape Hybrid Replace Master Cylinder (Do Not Use With 12650D, 2140A, 12651D70, 2000A) 1.6 Hrs.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

On a boy scout forum, someone posted about their Ford truck spontaneously combusting and the "fault" lay with the cruise control switch. I think this was an older truck, not an 05...that's probably the recall mentioned by the OP. Better to find something wrong with the cruise and bring it in to get it fixed than to have your car catch fire in the middle of the night which is what happened to the poor scouter. Luckily, his truck was not in a garage so the only damage was to his vehicle.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Exclamation Fireball Cruise switch(ws-Re: Warranty Repairs)

Originally Posted by Shiloh
On a boy scout forum, someone posted about their Ford truck spontaneously combusting and the "fault" lay with the cruise control switch. I think this was an older truck, not an 05...that's probably the recall mentioned by the OP. Better to find something wrong with the cruise and bring it in to get it fixed than to have your car catch fire in the middle of the night which is what happened to the poor scouter. Luckily, his truck was not in a garage so the only damage was to his vehicle.
According to CNN.com(and I assume Ford)....Ford stopped using the self combusting fireball cruise "switch" entirely in the early 2003 and went to an entirely new design for 2004. So, we should all (hopefully) be all right with regards to a flaming Escape hybrid. (I hope! )

Here's the link to the CNN report:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/29/iow...ire/index.html

Hope this helps!

Nate Green

Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

My FEH radio was replaced under warranty, even though I didn't think it needed to be replaced. The dealer said he was following Ford's protocol for fixing a noise problem. The new radio didn't help, but the warranty process was effortless and painless for me.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:43 PM
New FEH Owner

If you're complaining about a few hours for a repair, you should trade shoes with me. I bought my FEH 07/04/05 and had it towed to the dealer on 07/09/05, where it remains as Ford putzes around getting the right parts for it.

I'd *love* to have had just a few hours to wait for a repair.
Tammy

Old 07-27-2005, 06:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by henrys_girl
I bought my FEH 07/04/05 and had it towed to the dealer on 07/09/05, where it remains
First of all I hope the dealer has you driving something really nice (like a loaner Hybrid?) and covers your first payment for you. In fact, when a car dies 5 days after you bought it, they should replace it for you. Nevermind changing parts.

What is wrong with it anyway?

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:23 AM
New FEH Owner

My dealer has no loaner hybrids. If they had, I'd be driving that instead of the Mom-Mobile Taurus they have me in. As to them making the first payment for me, my Hybrid is paid for, so that's not an issue for me.

On the 9th, I was leaving my monthly Stitch & B!tch group and driven about 3 blocks when a message came across that said to service the brake system. Then the brake light came on, the battery light came on and the system caution light came on. Everything began shutting down and I coasted into a parking lot and called the dealer first, then roadside rescue. The dealer had originally told me they couldn't get me a loaner until the following Monday. That didn't fly with me, so I called back and talked to the manager on duty and got in touch with the weekend manager. They had a car waiting for me when I arrived, via bumpy tow truck ride, an hour later.

So by the time they were able to look at it on Monday, all the batteries were dead. On the 13th, they thought it was the big battery. On the 15th, they called me to tell me they had found the "root of all evil" and that it was the electrical drive train component. They got it replaced, only to have the voltage convertor go out on the 19th. They ordered the parts and only got half of them in last Friday. They are waiting for the cables to come in and won't know until later today if they are in or not.

I'm quickly losing patience with the whole situation. I've had to put two out of town trips off because of this and I am well on my way to becoming this particular dealer's worst nightmare if it's not ready by the end of the week. I'll keep you up on what's going on.

Tammy
Wichita,KS

Old 07-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by henrys_girl
My dealer has no loaner hybrids. If they had, I'd be driving that instead of the Mom-Mobile Taurus they have me in. As to them making the first payment for me, my Hybrid is paid for, so that's not an issue for me.

On the 9th, I was leaving my monthly Stitch & B!tch group and driven about 3 blocks when a message came across that said to service the brake system. Then the brake light came on, the battery light came on and the system caution light came on. Everything began shutting down

I'm quickly losing patience with the whole situation.
So, in other words, major failure of a brand new car, they have had it back longer than you had it and they can't even give you a comparable replacement. I'm impressed that you have had any patience to lose. You bought a brand new car that has already proven to be a lemon, regardless of the legal definition. I have two of these things that I absolutley love but let's face it, sometimes one is just bad and needs to be taken out of circulation. They should recognize this and either buy it back from you or give you one off the lot of your choosing and throw in some oil changes for your trouble.

How far up the Ford chain-of-command have you run this? Go higher. How can you ever trust the car again after it failed probably before it needed it's first tank of gas.

Good Luck. Keep us informed.

Ray

Old 07-27-2005, 09:56 AM
New FEH Owner

I was halfway through my first tank of gas and totally getting into the groove of driving a hybrid. I'm giving them two days (today and tomorrow) before I escalate this to corporate. As of last Wednesday, they were actively looking for me a replacement. The only other hybrid they had on the lot was a downgrade from mine and not acceptable. If I had wanted that one, I would have purchased that one, I reminded them.

I'm trying to be nice and not be a PITA female, but that's all about to end. When it happens, it's NOT going to be pretty and I'm sure that I will be Rusty Eck Ford's worst nightmare until I get some satisfaction on this. I've been trying really hard not to take it out on the poor service guy who is their only hybrid-trained repair guy, but if I hear one more excuse as to why a part isn't in or why they keep finding yet something else wrong with this one, I'm done with being nice and understanding.

Tammy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warranty Repairs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands