Weak FEH Roof Strenth

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Weak FEH Roof Strenth

See:http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr032409.html. The FEH does not do well on roof strength.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Weak FEH Roof Strenth

I guess Ford was a little busy making the FEH the most fuel efficient SUV for 5 years running.

I'm sure they will address this just like they have all the other crash test that they now get 5-star ratings for. Remeber that the Escape was also the first in its class with the Safety Canopy rollover curtain air bag system. But that's not factored into roof strength even though it would directly affect rollover survivability.

Last edited by MyPart; 04-01-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good thing you drive a prius then

Seriously though, I find it odd that they say 08-09 models but do not say which year of vehicle they are testing. I feel very comfortable driving my 2009 FEH which received 5 Stars on Rollover. I especially feel good about it since I have never rolled a vehicle in my life and don't intend on doing it any time in the foreseeable future either. But then again I am a conservative driver.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I am interested in the FEH, the Prius is a little small for my needs, but am concerned about safety as well gas mileage. I too have never rolled a car, but my girl friend has through no fault of her own when someone side swipped her.

Safety though is a dynamic process. You can't just look at one thing, to be sure.

In what year did the safety canopy start and how does it work? Would it offset the weaker roof? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I cannot tell you what year the Safety Canopy started since I only drive an 09 FEH but I believe it is the highest rated small SUV for safety on the road. I was VERY pleased that it achieved 5 stars on all levels PLUS achieves superior gas mileage. And typically, if you are driving a hybrid and driving the way one is supposed to drive you will not find yourself in a rollover situation (although anything can happen to anyone at anytime).

You have a lot of threads here where you talk about your interest in the FEH. At some point you are going to have to experience it for yourself and make the decision that you feel is best for you. ONLY YOU can determine if this is the right vehicle for you. For the most part the only people I find having negative things to say about the FEH are those that do not own or drive an FEH. Anyone that drives one, at least from my experiences, loves the vehicle. This is, far and away, the BEST vehicle I have ever owned. I have no regrets on this purchase whatsover.

Based on reports, the 2010 appears to be an even greater vehicle as Ford continues to pound out enhancements to their hybrid technology. If you are looking at hybrids and not necessarily set on an SUV then I would also look to the 2010 Fusion Hybrid which appears to be a great vehicle based upon preliminary reviews and reports. Both will provide you with more room than a Prius. My mother drives an 09 Camry Hybrid and after taking a trip with me she likes my 09 FEH better than her car

Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by diver110
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, I am interested in the FEH, the Prius is a little small for my needs, but am concerned about safety as well gas mileage. I too have never rolled a car, but my girl friend has through no fault of her own when someone side swipped her.

Safety though is a dynamic process. You can't just look at one thing, to be sure.

In what year did the safety canopy start and how does it work? Would it offset the weaker roof? Thanks.
I have both the '05 and '09 FEH and the canopy was a option on my '05 and standard on '09. They both also have the side airbags which may be part of the canopy. More than likely the roof was not tested on earlier models but I think the canopy will help with a weak roof all models. I ordered the extra side and canopy airbags in my '05 FEH because safety is also important to me. The FEH is a safe vehicle IMO.

GaryG

Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
Good thing you drive a prius then

Seriously though, I find it odd that they say 08-09 models but do not say which year of vehicle they are testing. I feel very comfortable driving my 2009 FEH which received 5 Stars on Rollover. I especially feel good about it since I have never rolled a vehicle in my life and don't intend on doing it any time in the foreseeable future either. But then again I am a conservative driver.
My father had never had a roll over, until someone t-boned him at 50 MPH. Fortunately it was a Prius not a pickup, but their 2006 Tribute rolled over. The canopy bags deployed, and my father and his wife are OK after a week in the hospital.

The point is you never know when you may encounter a rollover - even with RSC the Escape is high off the ground and can be rolled in an accident.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Here's an article regarding the safety features on the 2005 Escape - link

Here's an article regarding the safety features new for the 2010 Escape - link

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
My father had never had a roll over, until someone t-boned him at 50 MPH. Fortunately it was a Prius not a pickup, but their 2006 Tribute rolled over. The canopy bags deployed, and my father and his wife are OK after a week in the hospital.

The point is you never know when you may encounter a rollover - even with RSC the Escape is high off the ground and can be rolled in an accident.
Excellent points and I am VERY glad your father and his wife were okay eventually. My actual point was toward how safe the 2009 FEH is and that it received 5 stars on rollover but your point is duly noted. You NEVER know when something can happen to you regardless of how safe you are. I am just glad I drive one of, if not the safest suv's on the road.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I was t-boned at 40+ mph by someone running a red light in a 07 FEH and rolled a couple of times and walked away after landing wheels up. So my experience with the FEH roof strength was good! The FEH I was in had no sunroof, which may have helped a little bit. Interestingly the side airbags deployed, but the front ones did not.

Quick Reply: Weak FEH Roof Strenth

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands