Weird ICE/EV behavior today

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Weird ICE/EV behavior today

My FEH was really acting weird today. Temps were between 0-10F and several things were happening that I couldn't explain:
- After being fully warmed up (CHT>210F) the ICE would not stay running even with the defroster ON/"in the red zone'.
- HV battery seemed to have lost a lot of charge overnight. SoC was down around 30% this morning after being around 43% when shut off last evening.
- Took a long time to charge up HV battery, probably more than 30 minutes of driving. Even when braking the charging current would only go up to maybe 20 amps and then only for a few seconds. I suspect this was because the battery was so cold?
- Even when finally charged up fully (>50% SoC) and fully warmed up the ICE was kicking in even when just sitting for a minute at a stoplight.

Until this last few days of cold weather the ICE/EV was acting pretty much as expected. I'm just confused as to why sometimes it doesn't stay EV when it seems it should and then today it wouldn't go ICE when the heater controls were set to defroster.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Weird ICE/EV behavior today

You answered your question, the hybrid battery is too cold. Monitor this via the TAV reading in your scanguage.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
You answered your question, the hybrid battery is too cold. Monitor this via the TAV reading in your scanguage.
I've asked this before and not gotten an answer.

Any idea at what hybrid battery temp should I expect normal operation?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 PM

The hybrid battery pack will function normally at the 75F range. It will go into EV at a much lower temperature than that. If you park the vehicle outdoors in Minnesota during the winter, well, it is going to take a lot of driving to warm the hybrid battery pack up to normal range. If you have a garage, then is there an electrical outlet? If so, then do you have the FORD engine block heater installed--option 41H? If so you have a direct connection to the hybrid battery pack heater which makes life so much easier during the cold winter months.
Name:  fordinternalbatteryheater.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  138.5 KB

Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are all the replies in this thread going to apply to ANY model year FEH?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRat37
Are all the replies in this thread going to apply to ANY model year FEH?

NO. Ford discontinued the connection to the hybrid battery pack heater early in the 2008 model year.

Name:  FEH2008hybridbatteryheaterwireharne.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  2008FEHhybridconnection.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  54.0 KB

Last edited by Billyk; 12-30-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Go more in depth on this ford battery pack heater..I have a 05 and an 06 hybrid with no factory black heater installed..how does this work with the hybrid battery connection..I'd like to maybe find one

Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cje2310
Go more in depth on this ford battery pack heater..I have a 05 and an 06 hybrid with no factory black heater installed..how does this work with the hybrid battery connection..I'd like to maybe find one
Purchase option 41H (engine block heater) and have it installed. Presto! You now have a hybrid battery heater. There is a "Y" connection under the front windshield washer fluid bottle that connects the wire going to the hybrid battery heater, the wire going to the engine block and the wire going out of your front grille for the household electrical plug.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Purchase option 41H (engine block heater) and have it installed. Presto! You now have a hybrid battery heater. There is a "Y" connection under the front windshield washer fluid bottle that connects the wire going to the hybrid battery heater, the wire going to the engine block and the wire going out of your front grille for the household electrical plug.
Ok, I checked using your pictures from above and it appears I have the HV heater as there were wires going into the appropriate plug.

Next I looked near the windshield washer fluid bottle and found the following plug.

Name:  FEHheaterplug_zpseb54f23a.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  140.1 KB

Is this where I would plug in the wiring harness you showed here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...94/index2.html ?
Or do I also need the 10B689 - In-Car Battery Charger ? Also are the part numbers shown on that photo the right part numbers for an '05 FEH?

Last edited by us035976; 12-31-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM

This is option 41H:
Name:  FEhengineblockheatercomponents.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  122.3 KB

The Y connector is mounted to the side firewall in the engine compartment--under the window washer fluid bottle. I can't tell from the photo if your item in the photo comes off the firewall but the white threaded piece appears to have been bolted into the firewall or something similiar. I don't have enough information.

I'm see if I can obtain a photo or something from the workshop manual.

Last edited by Billyk; 12-31-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird ICE/EV behavior today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands