Default Re: Weird ICE/EV behavior today

Here is another view from the workshop manual:
Name:  fordoption41h_zps4212295d.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  71.6 KB

Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I ordered the HV battery heater power supply and power cable today. They should be in next week. I'll report back how everything goes once I get them installed.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by us035976
Well, I ordered the HV battery heater power supply and power cable today. They should be in next week. I'll report back how everything goes once I get them installed.
I got the HV battery heater power supply and power cable and installed it over the weekend. I know I don't have the 120V power cord routed via factory route, but it's in and zip-tied in securely. Today was the first day I was able to verify if it actually worked right and it DID. Thank goodness... And just in time, next Monday the high for the day is expected to be below zero F. That engine block heater and battery warmer will get a good workout then.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by us035976
My FEH was really acting weird today. Temps were between 0-10F and several things were happening that I couldn't explain:
- After being fully warmed up (CHT>210F) the ICE would not stay running even with the defroster ON/"in the red zone'.
- HV battery seemed to have lost a lot of charge overnight. SoC was down around 30% this morning after being around 43% when shut off last evening.
- Took a long time to charge up HV battery, probably more than 30 minutes of driving. Even when braking the charging current would only go up to maybe 20 amps and then only for a few seconds. I suspect this was because the battery was so cold?
- Even when finally charged up fully (>50% SoC) and fully warmed up the ICE was kicking in even when just sitting for a minute at a stoplight.

Until this last few days of cold weather the ICE/EV was acting pretty much as expected. I'm just confused as to why sometimes it doesn't stay EV when it seems it should and then today it wouldn't go ICE when the heater controls were set to defroster.
Ford has a US patent that would imply as OAT declines toward freezing and below regenerative braking is used less and less, as a safety measure in order to lower the propensity for loss of directional control. Frictional braking applies to BOTH the FRONT and REAR simultaneously. Just think of it as 4WD but in braking mode. A/C cannot be functional below 32F so most systems disable it. No A/C function, no need to run the engine except to keep the coolant HOT.

Last edited by wwest; 01-16-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ford has a US patent that would imply as OAT declines toward freezing and below regenerative braking is used less and less, as a safety measure in order to lower the propensity for loss of directional control. Frictional braking applies to BOTH the FRONT and REAR simultaneously. Just think of it as 4WD but in braking mode. A/C cannot be functional below 32F so most systems disable it. No A/C function, no need to run the engine except to keep the coolant HOT.

Like snow falling during the winter months, Mr. West continues to post on this issue that he has stated incorrectly-as in the past five years. Mr. West remains unable to identify such OAT sensor needed for such a implementation. GPSman1 has posted data-for at least fours years- that disproves Mr. West's theories. It is best to ignore Mr. West and his postings.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM

It's the very same OAT sensor that causes the A/C to be disabled with OAT nearly, at, or below freezing.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
It's the very same OAT sensor that causes the A/C to be disabled with OAT nearly, at, or below freezing.

NOPE! You have not learned your lessons. What part of "not true" do you not understand? No wonder Lexus never hired you to teach their staff.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 PM

I guess you go back on my ignore list

Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
I guess you go back on my ignore list
And you are back on mine. What a waste of electrons to read this drivel, and on multiple sites. Apparently some people have nothing else to do but clutter up forums with information of dubious reliability.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Once again BillyK provides us with excellent information to improve the FEH experience. Luckily I don't live in a zero degree climate (PNW) but we do get some cold snaps around here. Can someone post the cost (best deal?) for the block heater option? It might not be worth it for me but I'd like to do a Return On Investment analysis. My mileage drops pretty significantly as the temperature drops below 45 degrees.

Quick Reply: Weird ICE/EV behavior today

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands