What country is the engine and eCVT and xxx made?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default What country is the engine and eCVT and the rest made in?

On some new 2009 Escape Hybrids I saw in the dealer's lot, the sticker said:
Country of Orgion: engine: Mexico transmission: Japan
but that is the only clue I can find anywhere about where the parts are made on this SUV.

My High Voltage battery says "Made in Japan" but I was wondering about the rest of the car parts:
Electric Motor
Electric Generator
eCVT
engine, transfer case, and on and on.
Looks like it's a secret? Does anyone know?

Last edited by GeoMike; 07-18-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: to change the title a bit
Old 07-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What country is the engine and eCVT and xxx made?

The "transmission" is the e/CVT and within that is both motor-generators, MG1 & MG2.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Right. The transmission is covered by the extended warranty, thus, everything contained inside it, IE both electric motors are covered. But I think it is all one integrated module, so you get a whole new transmission if just one motor goes bad. I've never heard of this needed to be replaced though. It's very reliable.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The 2.3L engine found in the 05 thru 08 Escape Hybrids have their orgin in a Mazda MZR engine design (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine#Duratec). This 23NS version was built in Dearborne, Michigan.

The 2.5L Duratecengine is an updated and improved version of the 2.3L Duratec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_engine) and is built in Chihuahua, Mexico.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: What country is the engine and eCVT and xxx made?

I believe the 2005-2008 (and probably beyond) eCVTs are built by Aisin AW of Japan. Try this site:
http://www.aisin.com/product/automot...etrain/ot.html
See if the one labeled HD-10 looks familiar.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast

BillyK and GlennB, THANKS for your info on the engine being built in Mexico and eCVT in Japan.

I also went to Wikipedia, of all places, and saw some interesting info about the eCVT being built by Aisin AW of Japan, like you said, and the history of it ... at this web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Escape_Hybrid

Interesting. Ford Corp. sure keeps this info out of sight, though.
Guess they want people to think it's all made in the USA. Oh well ...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Do keep in mind that the PROFITS from the manufacturer to the dealer stay in the US when you buy the American vehicle.

I think this is where meny people who buy foreign cars that are built in the US get confused. They say their foreign cars are built here by Americans, which is true of BOTH manufacturers in many cases.

The BIG difference is when the foreign vehicle is all assembled (in the US) and sold to the dealership, the PROFITS from that sale go back to the COUNTRY that owns the vehicle line.

Example:

Some Toyota Camrys are assembled in the US by US workers. When the vehicle rolls off the assembly line and is sold to the Dealership, the profits from that sale go to Japan. (Toyota Motor Company in Japan.)

Ford Escapes are assembled in the US by US workers. Ford buys some parts from Japan and the profits do go there for those parts but when the vehicle is assembled and sold to a dealer, the profits from that sale stay in the US.
Which do you think is more profitable a Transmission or the whole truck (keep in mind there is also a profit made on the transmission itself when the truck is sold.)

The other OVERLOOKED issue is import tax and the foreign manufacters attempt to circumvent it.

When an assembled vehicle is imported into the US, it is subject to a fairly extensive import tax, paid to our government.

BUT vehicle parts are not subject to such a significant tax, so if Toyota for example ships parts over and has their vehicles assembled here, they DON'T have to pay the import tax on a vehicle.

You are correct that Ford tries to hide (and has lied about) the fact that the Escape Hybrid is NOT 100% American in parts.

08feh

Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, 08FEH.
Yeah, it's good to buy Ford / GM / Chrystler and other USA products, I agree. I always try to buy non-China goods, myself if possible.

Although I would point out that not ALL the profits from a foreign car goes back to Japan. For example, their auto assemply plant here in the U.S. would get some of those profits back to them to maintain and upgrade their plant. The dealership here in the U.S. would also realize some of those profits of course when they sell the car. And also, the plant and dealership pays property tax, business tax, etc. to Federal, State, County, City, and so on.

Would be interesting to know just how much total profit actually is made on a car when all expenses are taken into account. There is the company itself, the parts suppliers, the shippers, the dealerships. From Edmunds.com, it looks like a dealership makes a fair profit of around 9%. Everyone needs to make a living.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Imported from Detroit

I forget which Make/Model it is but it's not American that has the highest content of American made parts.