Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   what happens when you throw transmission into PARK at 35 mph? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/what-happens-when-you-throw-transmission-into-park-35-miles-per-hour-19322/)

Brooke 08-01-2008 06:27 AM

what happens when you throw transmission into PARK at 35 mph?

answer: Nothing

Went to shift from LOW into DRIVE on the expressway without paying attention and overshot; ended up in PARK. What happened? Although I thought the transmission would fall out, actually only thing that happened was that I could not shift back into DRIVE while I was moving forward (although I could drive normally). Pulled over into breakdown lane, stopped, shifted, and took off again.

Smart computer! Thank you to the Ford engineers!

MyPart 08-01-2008 07:03 AM

Re: what happens when you throw transmission into PARK at 35 mph?

Did you try shifting out of park while you were pressing the brake? I know that you have to do this when parked and shifting from P->D so this condition may need to be true in this case as well.

You probably don't care to try again and find out, do you? :)

On the same note, I think shifting into R while moving forward has a similar effect. The computer now checks for several conditions before allowing reverse activation. Thanks for confirming that it does the same for park.

ddderek 08-01-2008 02:09 PM

I'll take your word for it... Do not try this at home... errr, or on the road!

Billyk 08-01-2008 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MyPart (Post 183075)
On the same note, I think shifting into R while moving forward has a similar effect. The computer now checks for several conditions before allowing reverse activation. Thanks for confirming that it does the same for park.

There have been reports of drivers accidently shifting into R while driving on the highway with no real changes/damage. I have to admit, I actually did this :embarass: in January 2008. I drove forward about 5 seconds (speed under 25 mph) while the shift lever was in "R". I was able to shift back to "D" without stopping the vehicle.

AA2070 08-04-2008 01:59 PM

Good to know that the FEH is smarter than this. I accidentally did this in a 2008 Buick rental at about 85 MPH in Wisconsin about a year ago... horrible noise, and the car shut off. When I restarted it, reverse didn't work anymore and the car would only go about 25mph forward. :embarass: