What shoud I get??????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default What shoud I get??????????

So I am fresh out of college and looking for my first car purchase and am officially stumped at what to choose... I have a lower budget, but have narrowed down my choices to the following options (all from used car dealerships here in Los Angeles area, California. Also a little background of my needs, I will be commuting approximately 30-40 miles to work daily and most likely putting quite a but more miles on my car for my actual job. Iwanted a bigger car because of my active lifestyle (bikes in the car, etc)....

2007/08 Ford Escape Hybrid, approx 100k miles: love the MPG, style and technology. Am afraid of the high mileage (is 100k too much?) and the expensive repairs and risks with the vehicle... any thoughts? reliable?

2007/2008 Honda CRV, approx 100k miles: have read about the dependability, see tons out there, seems like a safe pick. not as good of MPG..

2007/2008 Subaru Forester, approx 100k miles: love the rugged and unique look, dislike the mpg, am unsure of the reliability?

Overall I was just wondering if anyone could weigh in and give their two sense on this dilemma... are my concerts legitimate?? anything I am unaware of??

I really am leaning toward the FEH, but need some assurance to take the leap

Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What shoud I get??????????

Originally Posted by rvernon89
So I am fresh out of college and looking for my first car purchase and am officially stumped at what to choose... I have a lower budget, but have narrowed down my choices to the following options (all from used car dealerships here in Los Angeles area, California. Also a little background of my needs, I will be commuting approximately 30-40 miles to work daily and most likely putting quite a but more miles on my car for my actual job. Iwanted a bigger car because of my active lifestyle (bikes in the car, etc)....

2007/08 Ford Escape Hybrid, approx 100k miles: love the MPG, style and technology. Am afraid of the high mileage (is 100k too much?) and the expensive repairs and risks with the vehicle... any thoughts? reliable?

2007/2008 Honda CRV, approx 100k miles: have read about the dependability, see tons out there, seems like a safe pick. not as good of MPG..

2007/2008 Subaru Forester, approx 100k miles: love the rugged and unique look, dislike the mpg, am unsure of the reliability?

Overall I was just wondering if anyone could weigh in and give their two sense on this dilemma... are my concerts legitimate?? anything I am unaware of??

I really am leaning toward the FEH, but need some assurance to take the leap
If your commute or work driving includes traffic, the FEH is the way to go. It will get great mileage in traffic. If it is all highway, the other two vehicles might be OK (depends on what you like after driving them).

There were some FEH that reached 300K miles in taxi duty. However, there is a big difference between a 2007 and a 2008 in body styles; the mechanical components are basically the same. An early model 2009 would be better. Having said all that, there are some components on the FEH that are exclusive to it, like the MCES pump and the brake system. If those go it is costly.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

With a 100K miles on the FEH, you need to closely look at the repair/maintenance history.
  • Has the MECS pump been replaced?
  • Are the big hybrid battery fans working correctly?
  • Is the rear cargo driver's side blend door working correctly or has it been repaired?
  • Is the air conditioning system working correctly and does it blow cool air into the hybrid battery?
  • Can you get about 1 mile driving on electrical power?
  • Are low rolling resistance tires on the vehicle?
  • ABS tone rings and speed sensors need to check for cracks
  • If the original engine 12V battery is still there, get a new one installed
As for bicycle fitting in the rear cargo area, a road bicycle will require the front wheel to be removed. It will not fit in a vertical position. I do not know if a mountain bike will fit in a vertical position because I don't have one. A hitch bicycle carrier is even a better idea.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
As for bicycle fitting in the rear cargo area, a road bicycle will require the front wheel to be removed. It will not fit in a vertical position. I do not know if a mountain bike will fit in a vertical position because I don't have one. A hitch bicycle carrier is even a better idea.
My 58cm road bike will fit vertically inside with the front wheel removed, but the seat has to be lowered or removed also. Same with the mtn bike, and seat has to be lowered.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 58cm Cannondale Slice triathlon bicycle does not fit vertically and I refuse to lower the seatpost after spend time and money dialing in a "fit".

Old 08-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
With a 100K miles on the FEH, you need to closely look at:[*]Are the big hybrid battery fans working correctly?[*]Is the rear cargo driver's side blend door working correctly or has it been repaired?[*]Is the air conditioning system working correctly and does it blow cool air into the hybrid battery?[/LIST].
How does one check these things? The cabin AC works fine

Old 08-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My touring and hybrid bikes fit fine inside, with nothing removed and the rear seats folded down. This is without even turning the front wheel sideways. If I need to have the rear seats up, I use a hatch/bumper rack.