What's involved w/getting Sirius subscription?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default What's involved w/getting Sirius subscription?

With my AAA membership, I get 50% off Sirius radio. I was considering the lifetime membership.
What's involved? Equipment for the MMH? Installation?

Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What's involved w/getting Sirius subscription?

Depends what model year and what radio you currently have installed. Does your radio have a SAT button on it? If so, you'll need the Sirius "brain" receiver for Ford and an antenna. If you don't have a SAT button, then you will likely have to get one of the aftermarket type receivers that mounts to the windshield.

Personally, I think you are better off replacing the factory radio rather than having the additional tuner on the dash like I have.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:10 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Also I believe the AAA membership discount only applies to the radios, not the subscriptions.

Currently they are offering their lifetime subscription for $399 down from $499 throuh the end of January. (they appear to do this a lot)

The only issue is this does not apply to those of us that where the radio was pre-installed.

Fo those of us they want to charge the full $499. They will discount that down by the 6 months free which comes to $422.99. I was a little PO'd when they told me that last week, even with Ford being one of their partners.

The lady I spoke to also thought this was BS, but it is the Sirius way!

So I am keeping my $$$ until I decide if I want to bite & pay more then anyone else or get them to charge me the same as if I got my radio from them or some other store.

The lifetime does let you transfer it up to 4 times at $75 a pop, so if your radio dies, gets stolen, ... you can still transfer the subscription to the replacement.

Also as a FYI you can get up to 4 radios on 1 account. The first one is at full price subscription (be that any term including the $399 lifetime) and the additional 3 are at $6.99 per month per radio.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ICBMariner
Also I believe the AAA membership discount only applies to the radios, not the subscriptions.

Currently they are offering their lifetime subscription for $399 down from $499 throuh the end of January. (they appear to do this a lot)

The only issue is this does not apply to those of us that where the radio was pre-installed.

Fo those of us they want to charge the full $499. They will discount that down by the 6 months free which comes to $422.99. I was a little PO'd when they told me that last week, even with Ford being one of their partners.

So I am keeping my $$$ until I decide if I want to bite & pay more then anyone else or get them to charge me the same as if I got my radio from them or some other store.

The lifetime does let you transfer it up to 4 times at $75 a pop, so if your radio dies, gets stolen, ... you can still transfer the subscription to the replacement.

Also as a FYI you can get up to 4 radios on 1 account. The first one is at full price subscription (be that any term including the $399 lifetime) and the additional 3 are at $6.99 per month per radio.
Since the subscription is not included in the AAA discount, it doesn't seem worth the bother. Sirius sounds like they are as bad as car salesmen to deal with. (Oops, did I say that?)

Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Why do you need a lifetime susscription? I pay around 13 bucks a month, I forget what the reciever cost but it was less than 100 at best. Why exactly are they making you pay 500? Sounds like someone is trying to take you for a ride in your own car.

Prior to that unit we had a sirius "box" plugged into a kenwood deck in a 2000 New Beetle. With both units it was 20 a month I think. I think I paid 250 for the box and install, that was in 2002. I think the box was only 100 or so though. I do know prices for those things has dropped significantly since then.

Is there something stopping you from calling Sirius directly have having them activating the unit? Thats how it works for the rest of us.

ABT electronics is where I purchased my stuff from. They seem to have quite a bit of options there.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 AM
08 MMH 4WD

The lifetime subscription replaces your $12.99 a month. If you divide $399 by 12.99, this works out to the same as paying for 30.7 months of service.

If you plan on keeping your radio beyond 30 months, this this may be a good deal for you. If you don't want your radio or Sirius radio that long, then going month to month or the other shorter plans would make more sence.

Right now (ending today) you can get a free Sirius radio with a paid subscription. (visit their web site for details).

So the subscription talk I mentioned here has nothing to do with the hardware other then Sirius may charge you more on the lifetime subscription if your Sirius receiver came preinstalled from the vehicle manufacturer.

Last edited by ICBMariner; 01-02-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Depends what model year and what radio you currently have installed. Does your radio have a SAT button on it? If so, you'll need the Sirius "brain" receiver for Ford and an antenna. If you don't have a SAT button, then you will likely have to get one of the aftermarket type receivers that mounts to the windshield.

Personally, I think you are better off replacing the factory radio rather than having the additional tuner on the dash like I have.
My Son got me the Visteon HD Jump AM/FM receiver car kit and the extra Home Kit for Xmas. I mainly wanted the home kit and the Jump receiver for my 7.1 home theater system. Visteon was the only system that I could find that I could hook to a home receiver. The HD quality sound I'm getting for free is like CD quality in my home. Really wasn't thinking about hooking the car kit up in my FEH, but now I am.

I have the nav sys in my FEH, but you know it does not have a plug for the speaker system. There is a FM Modulator system hook up, but I'm concerned about the quality, any thoughts? The Car Kit does have a windshield mount, so I most likely will use it. The Jump base has a ANT IN plug and a wire that the factory antenna plugs into, and an ANT OUT that plugs back into the Nav Sys antenna connection. The power connection plugs into the base and has a positive and negative wire I need to find a source that is only live with the key on.

The Jump receiver is small and can be moved from the home base to the car base in seconds. Any recommendations on how to hook the base up in my FEH? BTW, the car kit came with a remote control which I find strange. The remote should have came with the home kit and that's where I use it. Both bases have a AUG plug for MP3 players etc, but I think you must use the FM modulator to set the volume with the Nav Sys.

GaryG

Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ICBMariner

I was told a similar thing, but mine was like $417, can't remember now. But I posted in the Sirius Bakstage forum and someone replied with this
The free service might have affected it to not populate at the $399 price. Because every radio is eligible for the discounted rate. It's just that with the free service (from ford mostly) there's premade plans at rates like the lifetime for 417.66 and the 399 price wasn't added to the list. I'd call back and ask about whether or not you can get the 17.66 back, because you're entitled to it
I never did call to argue over $17 tho...