when to use L range in FEH

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: when to use L range in FEH

Originally Posted by CDbear
I like to add, that like PRIUS "B" 'downshift', a slight tap on brake gives even stronger
regenerative braking. Not sure if FEH is similar but I have seen at least FEH display
gives BIGGER arrow showing more energy into hybrid battery. Since Ford uses 80% of Prius patents; I wonder how variable the regeneration mode can be exercised to eliminate almost all brake pad wear!! CDbear
"..slight tap on the brake.."

In this case Toyota is making use of a Ford patent.

Ford has a US patent wherein less and less regenerative braking is used as the OAT declines closer and finally to and below freezing. Inadvertent HARD regenerative braking, FRONT ONLY BRAKING, on a possibly slippery
roadbed surface can turn DEADLY in a New York minute.

By just lightly applying braking you are not only bringing the rear frictional brakes on line but you are also in essence "telling" the system you are prepared to quickly address the outcome, dangers of front biased regenerative HARD braking.

Should regenerative braking still result in front wheelskid then (front biased) regenerative braking will be instantly disabled thereby allowing ABS to operate ONLY against frictional braking.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
An old thought:

"Since Ford uses 80% of Prius patents;"---

Ford's hybrid hardware and software was developed independently and is not shared by Toyota.
You beat me to it! People keep confusing cross-patent agreements with actually using the exact design.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 AM

I have been using "L" in both of my FEH for the last six years. There was a great thread called "The Low Gear Advantage" that Gary started that went to a billion posts or so before it was locked.

But, despite using L all the time, the Ford dealer just told me the other day that my front brakes are down to 1mm and need to be replaced immediately. I told him I would take care of it. Going to jack it up today to see how they really look. I don't trust dealers word on stuff like this.
I did trust them to change both lower control arms under warranty though.

Originally Posted by rdprice64
I had mine checked at a few months ago at 60,000 miles and the guy asked me when I had them replaced. I smiled and said that I just don't use the friction brakes very often, due in large part to using L and timing traffic lights better than most people. He thought that at that rate they will last to at least 200,000 miles. We'll see, but I am hopeful!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I have been using "L" in both of my FEH for the last six years. There was a great thread called "The Low Gear Advantage" that Gary started that went to a billion posts or so before it was locked.

But, despite using L all the time, the Ford dealer just told me the other day that my front brakes are down to 1mm and need to be replaced immediately. I told him I would take care of it. Going to jack it up today to see how they really look. I don't trust dealers word on stuff like this.
I did trust them to change both lower control arms under warranty though.
Hi Ray

The original "Low Gear Advantage" thread may have been blocked here, but I started a Version 2 in a safe place that still can be viewed. I'll always give you the credit for the first person who discovered the benefits of "L" gear years ago and posted here about it. Here is Version 2:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807

GaryG

Old 08-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Just a follow up on the brakes. I took the front wheels off both of my FEH today and sure enough, I need front brakes on both of them.

The '05 has 66k miles and the inside pads are down to 1mm as the dealer said. The outside pad is about 3mm. Equal on both sides.

The '06 has right at 60k on it and the fronts are about the same, maybe a tiny bit more meat on them.

I haven't calipered the rotors yet but I am assuming they are at minimum off the assembly line and just plan on replacing all four.

Tomorrow I will take some rear wheels off and see how they look. I am seriously starting to doubt the "rear brakes wear twice as fast as the fronts".

But, back on topic - those of you using "L" a lot should still check the front pads now and then.