Who changes their own oil? Some questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Who changes their own oil? Some questions for you.

Per my dealers suggestion, its about time to change my oil. Should I take it to them, or do it myself? (I'm used to doing it myself).

Anyone recommend a good high quality full synthetic and type oil filter? What oil would Ford use if they changed it? I was going to call them tomorrow since today is Sunday to ask how much, and what kind of oil they used. I'd much rather do it myself. Are there any special tools needed other than the basics? Is the oil drain plug a standard size?

I just got back again from Kure Beach, NC. Took my FEH out on the sands to find a good fishing spot and check out the damage & erosion to the island from Ohpelia. I averaged about 27 mpg going down there (with A/C going), and about 29 coming back with no AC, and highway speeding. The trip from Cary to Kure Beach for me is 148 miles While at the coast on the sands and slow traffic of Carolina Beach, I was up to 31.2 mpg until I got back on the highway to head home.

So far its been perfect, no problems. I had a paint issue that the dealer says they are going to fix for me. Seems a piece of trash was under the paint on the back bumper. It started to bubble, and then flaked off.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Who changes their own oil? Some questions for you.

Originally Posted by ChadsMach1
Per my dealers suggestion, its about time to change my oil. Should I take it to them, or do it myself? (I'm used to doing it myself).

Anyone recommend a good high quality full synthetic and type oil filter? What oil would Ford use if they changed it? I was going to call them tomorrow since today is Sunday to ask how much, and what kind of oil they used. I'd much rather do it myself. Are there any special tools needed other than the basics? Is the oil drain plug a standard size?

I just got back again from Kure Beach, NC. Took my FEH out on the sands to find a good fishing spot and check out the damage & erosion to the island from Ohpelia. I averaged about 27 mpg going down there (with A/C going), and about 29 coming back with no AC, and highway speeding. The trip from Cary to Kure Beach for me is 148 miles While at the coast on the sands and slow traffic of Carolina Beach, I was up to 31.2 mpg until I got back on the highway to head home.

So far its been perfect, no problems. I had a paint issue that the dealer says they are going to fix for me. Seems a piece of trash was under the paint on the back bumper. It started to bubble, and then flaked off.
I also do my own oil. I use Mobil1 5W-30 in my 2004 Prius, remembering to fill the new filter with oil before putting it on and being careful not to overfill the oil. On the PII and my Subaru you have to put a new washer on the drain plug each time to avoid drips. You may find that the oil drain plug is metric, if the engine is not from ford. Good luck with your new FEH (I would watch Ford carefully on their training in maintaining hybrid technology). Jeff

Old 10-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How many miles on your Escape? The book says 10k mile oill change interval but my dealer keeps trying to get me in every 3k. I do mine myself around 4000 miles.

There are a couple pretty good threads on oil changes from a couple months ago. Look back and you will find them.

The FEH uses a replaceable filter element that you can either get from Ford ($$$) or find someone that sells the Wix or Purolator elements. There are also two o-rings that need to be changed as well.

Use only oil that meets the Ford spec (forget off the top of my head). You can also find that at other retailers besides the stealership.

Look at the old threads and I think you will find all the answers you need.

Good Luck.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
How many miles on your Escape? The book says 10k mile oill change interval but my dealer keeps trying to get me in every 3k. I do mine myself around 4000 miles.

There are a couple pretty good threads on oil changes from a couple months ago. Look back and you will find them.

The FEH uses a replaceable filter element that you can either get from Ford ($$$) or find someone that sells the Wix or Purolator elements. There are also two o-rings that need to be changed as well.

Use only oil that meets the Ford spec (forget off the top of my head). You can also find that at other retailers besides the stealership.

Look at the old threads and I think you will find all the answers you need.

Good Luck.
I am almost at 5000 miles. I'll take another look at the older threads.

Chad

Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sorry I was being lazy last night. Here are a couple threads:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=2540
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=3689

Enjoy....

Ray

Old 10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Early Adopter

You'll see if if you look at the threads referenced above, but I'll restate in case you don't.

This engine lives a pretty easy life. A 10K oil change interval is not unreasonable.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast

I don't change my oil any longer. It just goes to the dealer up the road where they keep all the records on their computer. It is just too cheap to be bothered with and the process is too much of a hassle anyway. And there will be no question about the proper kind of oil to use. Ford uses a 5W-20 semi-synthetic oil in their vehicles and that is not always available. Besides, you'll still need to dispose of the oil.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

My last oil change at the Ford dealer almost cost me my engine.

They forgot the O rings. They only noticed it when there was a pool of oil under the car.

THEN, they had to GET to O rings (not it stock). I laid into the service manager asking how they could accept an appointment for a car and not have the parts in stock.

They had to rent a car for me to get me out. I am considering doing it myself this time.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zadscmc
My last oil change at the Ford dealer almost cost me my engine.

They forgot the O rings. They only noticed it when there was a pool of oil under the car.

THEN, they had to GET to O rings (not it stock). I laid into the service manager asking how they could accept an appointment for a car and not have the parts in stock.

They had to rent a car for me to get me out. I am considering doing it myself this time.
I'd get a new dealer. I've never had any problems with my local dealer. They have bent over backwards to satisfy me in every way. The service department has been superb.

I assume the O Ring was what sealed the oil filter to the engine. Is that correct? Temporarily they could have used the old one. I doubt it was damaged when they removed it. They could have flipped it over and put the unused side to the engine block. But perhaps you are talking about something different.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Early Adopter

The Escape Hybrid uses a different oil filter from what you're used to. The filter is a cartridge that fits inside a composite housing. That housing has a large o-ring around its outer surface just below the threads that secure it to the engine. There's also a small drain plug on the bottom of the housing that has another o-ring. Both should be replaced at every change as the o-ring stretches during installation and removal. Rumor is there is a new filter part number FL-2017B that will include the required o-rings in the box.

Originally Posted by Missouri Mule
I'd get a new dealer. I've never had any problems with my local dealer. They have bent over backwards to satisfy me in every way. The service department has been superb.

I assume the O Ring was what sealed the oil filter to the engine. Is that correct? Temporarily they could have used the old one. I doubt it was damaged when they removed it. They could have flipped it over and put the unused side to the engine block. But perhaps you are talking about something different.

Quick Reply: Who changes their own oil? Some questions for you.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands