Who JUST received their MMH/FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Who JUST received their MMH/FEH?

Originally Posted by mtberman
Ford Escape/Escape Hybrid/Mercury Mariner/Mariner Hybrid

10-12/28-30/10-12/14-16
Yea, I just noticed the jump to 28-30 weeks for the FEH too (but not for the MMH).

That should mean that the entire 2008 model year has been sold out.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 AM
N/A

I wonder if Ford no longer requires dealer proof of a customer contract before they'll accept an order. This might explain the big backlog. I know they don't like to tie their dealer's hands. Plus, there have been reports of unsold vehicles in dealer stock in certain areas.

Regardless, I think it is correct that the 2008s are now spoken for and a person might expect a 2009 if ordering today. Following are the latest estimated production scheduling dates from Ford Fleet. :

2008 Final Order Due Date 11/30/07 (for all other trucks this date is 2/08 to 7/08)
2009 Initial Order Acceptance: 4/17/08
2009 Scheduling Begins: 5/15/08
2009 Production Start Up: 6/23/08

Last edited by mtberman; 01-20-2008 at 06:19 AM. Reason: add clarification
Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Interesting. Initial order date for the 2009 is less than 3 months away but there's been no official mention of what (if any) new features the 2009 will have. We know that the recent 2008s builds have the wheel mounted audio controls and the new interior lighting options (and maybe a random bit of chrome on the lift gate hinges?).

So what will we see in the 2009? Sync? Cap-less fuel filler? Or will 2009 be a pretty tame production year with 2010 being the big year with (dare we dream) a new engine (Ecoboost), LI-on, or (wish big) PHEV? All speculation on my part but I'd love to trade up in 2010-2011.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

2010 is the big year that Chrysler, and I think GM also, unviels Diesel/Hybrid competition......

Both will still have the tax credit....Ford should be out by then.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MyPart
So what will we see in the 2009? Sync? Cap-less fuel filler? Or will 2009 be a pretty tame production year with 2010 being the big year with (dare we dream) a new engine (Ecoboost), LI-on, or (wish big) PHEV? All speculation on my part but I'd love to trade up in 2010-2011.
I think you are right, we should know something by the end of March. I mean, those dealers putting in orders starting in April will have to know what they are spec'ing.

The rumor mill is full of news that the Escape's current batch of engines will be out of production, forcing the '09 to different engine offerings. However, none of those rumors mention the hybrids with its "unique" Atkinson engine. Would Ford invest in a new, but low volume, Atkinson engine for the hybrids???? And could they still be hiding it (no test mules running the streets of Detroit), at this stage?

I would be worried about Sync. Right now, Sync seems under allocation for the models that do offer it, and that delays their regular orders. The last thing the hybrids need, is an option that delays them beyond the (ridiculous) delays they are already seeing.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 PM

[quote=MyPart;158978]Interesting. Initial order date for the 2009 is less than 3 months away but there's been no official mention of what (if any) new features the 2009 will have.

So what will we see in the 2009? quote]

Rumor has it Ford will introduce dynamic stability control for the 2009 Hybrid vehicles. The Fusion Hybrid will be introdued.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 AM

So what will we see in the 2009? Sync? Cap-less fuel filler?
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=27548

New 2.5L ICE with Variable Cam Timing, AdvanceTrac with RSC, Sync with "911 Assist", capless fuel filler, Sirius with real-time travel/weather/gas prices, and more.

Now that's what I call Bold Moves. I think this makes the likelihood of Ford producing a PHEV version in 2010 or 2011 higher.

(Special thanks to GM and their two-mode hybrid drivetrain for keeping the pressure on).

Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=27548

New 2.5L ICE with Variable Cam Timing, AdvanceTrac with RSC, Sync with "911 Assist", capless fuel filler, Sirius with real-time travel/weather/gas prices, and more.

Now that's what I call Bold Moves. I think this makes the likelihood of Ford producing a PHEV version in 2010 or 2011 higher.

(Special thanks to GM and their two-mode hybrid drivetrain for keeping the pressure on).
Except they upped the engine size and the horsepower.... Was that to assuage all the people that need their cars to have MORE POWER than their last one? What did it cost them in MPG? What could we have gotten in MPG with all these changes and no increase in power?

It scares me a bit. Alot of the newer hybids that followed the Prius and FEH have tipped their scales to give them more power at the cost of MPG... the Accord for example. Was that done here?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Hey Tim,

Short Answer: Yes, more power to the people was probably a goal.

Long Answer:
Ford needs to have a good solid I4 engine cars and small trucks/SUV. I believe this engine is built to be just that. I also expect that they will use the feedback from this motor to lead into the EcoBoost turbo/DI motors to come. I think the new FE numbers will tell the story. If the FEH stays at the current 32MPG average (or gains 1MPG as the press release mentions) and gains ICE power then it's a positive move. I'll take a slightly larger engine (8%) that is more FE, has less emissions, and has more power, especially if it's going to allow Ford to pass that savings on to other models that are historically less fuel efficient and much dirtier.

Remember that the Ford hybrids have to compete with the other I4 non-hybrids on paper and with the critics. Someone not familiar with EV powered vehicles will look at the FEH's 133HP to the CR-V's 166HP or even the 172HP of the VUE Greenline and wonder why it's underpowered. They won't know the true power the FEH has once you factor in the EV (and FORD doesn't help with that issue since they don't publish a combined number on their site). The non-FEH 2.3 I4 was an underdog when compared to it's market competitors. The standard VUE has 169HP and cost $5200 less. Heck, the Hyundai Santa Fe comes in $5500 cheaper and has 185HP. The general public doesn't seem to look past those numbers when they see the vehicle size/utility is roughly the same.

I like to think that Ford looked at all the critics (like CR for instance) and went to work to address what were seen as weak points. Lack of traction control, rollover protection and performance have been high on the list and have now been addressed, quite possibly, without decreasing FE.

Let's don't forget that the FEH is STILL the most FE vehicle in it's class by 3.5MPG EPA and 6 MPG if you look at the Real Hybrid Mileage Database on this site. It is also by far the cleanest.

Maybe by bringing a little more power to the people, Ford also brought more FE and less emissions as well.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM
N/A

Agreed. The 2.3 was ancient and an embarrassment. My company car Ford Tempo had one in 1990 and it was bad back then. When the 2008 Escape came out it was initially met with lots of jeers due to their re-using the 2.3 and 3.0 V6 and even more jeers for bolting them to that retarded 4 speed automatic.

Frankly I'm disappointed they did not drop the darn 2.3 architecture altogether and come up with an entirely new design. But hey, I understand that money is short and it is an OK engine. If they can re-do it and squeeze out respectable HP for the class (most competitors have 160 - 180 HP) and get another MPG out of it, then good for them.

Quick Reply: Who JUST received their MMH/FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands