Wierd squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Wierd squeaking noise

Hey All,

Over the last few weeks, i've noticed a very loud and pronounced squeaking noise coming from under my FEH. It reminds me of when an AC clutch engages and disengages. You can notice it from inside the vehicle, and it is even more pronounced when you have the windows rolled down.

It makes this noise when the cabin AC is on or off, possibly the MECS cooling? MECS pump was replaced a little over a month ago and i've noticed it more since then.

The squeak doesnt last long, just a short burst, goes away, happens again a few seconds to minutes later depending on how much i'm driving. It happens running both EV and on the ICE.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Default Re: Wierd squeaking noise

Originally Posted by wbonville
Hey All,

Over the last few weeks, i've noticed a very loud and pronounced squeaking noise coming from under my FEH. It reminds me of when an AC clutch engages and disengages. You can notice it from inside the vehicle, and it is even more pronounced when you have the windows rolled down.

It makes this noise when the cabin AC is on or off, possibly the MECS cooling? MECS pump was replaced a little over a month ago and i've noticed it more since then.

The squeak doesnt last long, just a short burst, goes away, happens again a few seconds to minutes later depending on how much i'm driving. It happens running both EV and on the ICE.
Could be your parking brake cable needs adjusting.

GaryG

Old 08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It reminds me of when an AC clutch engages and disengages. ....It makes this noise when the cabin AC is on or off, .....The squeak doesnt last long, just a short burst, goes away, happens again a few seconds to minutes later
Sounds exactly like what both of mine do. Since they both do it and have been doing it for as long as I can remember, I assume it is a normal mystery sound that these cars make.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Hey All,

My 2008 has been doing this almost from the first day. I seem to recall that there was a fix involving the rear suspension, but since it doesn't seem to affect anything, I don't worry about it. Generally the radio is on anyway.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 AM

Probably not the MECS pump.

Remember that the system can turn on the AC for traction battery cooling regardless of the selected switch position for people cooling.

Could also be a U-joint. There's two of them in the propeller shaft to the rear axle (4WD). If the noise seems to coincide with jounces of the driveline then I'd consider the u-joints.

Keep in mind that the propeller shaft turns all the time regardless of the command to the rear axle for power.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 AM
Enthusiast

I have the same issue in my 2009 FEH FWD. It's out of warranty, but assuming it's related to cooling the battery, would this be covered under the hybrid warranty?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Phatcat
I have the same issue in my 2009 FEH FWD. It's out of warranty, but assuming it's related to cooling the battery, would this be covered under the hybrid warranty?
Probably not. Break out your warranty book. Ford defines which parts are covered under the unique hybrid components warranty.