Winter is here. What do I need to know about my '09 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Winter is here. What do I need to know about my '09 AWD?

I wasn't real impressed with my '05 Rav4 in the snow. It was 100% automatic and relied on tire slippage to kick in, only after an obnoxious beep from the dash. Maybe it would have been better if I had snow tires installed.

Does that switch at the bottom of the center console turn on AWD?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Winter is here. What do I need to know about my '09 AWD?

I have a FWD so I'm no help.... But I've heard this on here befor RTOM... did I get that right guys??

Old 11-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

The two buttons at the bottom of the center console stack should be traction control and the reverse sensor disable button.

::removed incorrect info copied from Edmunds.com::

Last edited by twolostminds; 11-24-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twolostminds
Per Edmunds.com.. "On AWD Escape Hybrid models, a third electric motor steps in to drive the rear wheels when extra acceleration or traction is needed."
I don't think that is the case--you're thinking of the HiHy with the electric motor on the rear. The FEH/MMH has a differential of some sort back there.

Overall, the car behaves like an FWD car on the snow until you need traction. I spent some time playing in a parking lot last winter when we first got the MMH and found it to be pretty difficult to kick the rear tires out with power. This is very different than my old Subaru which was pretty easy to get going sideways. However, even though it isn't as much fun in a parking lot, it's a lot safer on snowy roads when you DON'T want the rear to kick out .

I never had a chance to drive through deeper than 6" of fresh snow last year, but the MMH did that without batting an eye.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by twolostminds
The two buttons at the bottom of the center console stack should be traction control and the reverse sensor disable button. Per Edmunds.com.. "On AWD Escape Hybrid models, a third electric motor steps in to drive the rear wheels when extra acceleration or traction is needed."
THIS IS NOT TRUE of the Escape. The Toyota does that. The Escape uses a differential... all power is generated under your hood and sent to the wheels the differential decides where. In the Escape the back wheels are NOT electric only.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: New Jersey. Land of high auto insurance and pollution.

Removed the quote from Edmunds.com oy! darn internet! lol

Old 11-24-2008, 07:51 PM

Thanks guys. That's about what I figured with the switches. I just was confused by their choice of a car which looked like it was sliding.... not my first choice for a AWD logo.

I need to spend some time with the manual. We've been told we won't have much snow before Christmas and so far have only driven thru less than an inch. Guess I'll find out. Thanks again.

I get to go in (again) first thing tomorrow to try to resolve the yellow air bag light that occasionally comes on.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Had a couple inches of snow on the ground today and am impressed with how the AWD switches in and out without a peep... no alarms, no dash lights... just switches in and out as needed.

Just looked thru the manual and the AdvanceTrac button (lower middle console) turns AWD OFF. I assumed it would force AWD on when it was needed.

Found this video and would be very interested in how the Escape's AWD compared: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

Last edited by colchiro; 11-30-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM

I had an interesting experience last winter. I drove to a nordic ski area (Crystal Lake) I had not been to in almost 20 years. My GPS (Kenwood DNX7100) unit took me directly to the area but....I traveld almost 3 miles up (over 1200 feet) an unplowed two land mountain road with 8-10 inches of snow on it. I had no trouble at all--no side spinning--and this "adventure" ended on top of the hill where a---yep--snowmobile club and headquarters existed. I got a few strange looks but keep going to the ski area. As for tires, I use Goodyear Triple Tread All-Season tires in the winter months and these carry the snowflake and mountain symbol.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD. I live in Cleveland so I know a bit about snow. It is the best car I have ever driven in the snow. One time I tried to get it stuck in my driveway. I pulled right up to the house without a problem. All this and up to 30mpg, I love this car. I have driven it during blizzards and through unplowed parking lots. Nothing stops this car. You won't even feel the back wheels kick in. 99 percent of the engine/motor power is available to the rear wheels. I went through some pretty deep mud once and it went right through. I just can't say enough about it. I plan on buying another MMH when this one is done.

Quick Reply: Winter is here. What do I need to know about my '09 AWD?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands