Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 PM
HEV's are your friend
Default Re: Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

since this is a "drivetrain" issue is it covered under the 100k mile drivetrain warranty?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EOppie
since this is a "drivetrain" issue is it covered under the 100k mile drivetrain warranty?
100K drive train warranty?

Are you thinking of the hybrid warranty (100K / 10 years in CARB states)? I don't think it covers the eCVT.

Last edited by stevedebi; 09-09-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
100K drive train warranty?

Are you thinking of the hybrid warranty (100K / 10 years in CARB states)? I don't think it covers the eCVT.
This is not a drivetrain issue, it is a problem with the rear A/C unit air blend door driver. The items covered by the hybrid warranty are limited to the HV battery (but not the rear A/C for the HV battery,) the eCVT, and the DC-DC converter.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my 2007 MMH. Service soon came on and the wrench lit. Be sure to tell them it is the wrench and not the check engine.

I took it in and before I even let the service tech touch it, I explained that if they shut it off, the code will clear. They took it back, tested it and in less than 30 minutes found that the rear A/C blend door was causing the error. Fortunately, it is still under warrantee for me.

Here are some other symptoms I observed with this failure:

-Wrench Light
-Service Soon message
-Max HV battery temp continued to rise even though fan was running. (95 degrees F according to my SG). I use Max temp rather than the battery temp because that seems to be what the A/C pump uses as a trigger. Besides that, the battery temp is an average and doesn't seem to update as quickly.
-A/C usually kicked in around 89 degrees F and cooled the HV battery until it was about 82 degrees F. I also monitored the A/C pump via SG and it did not kick in either.

My ford dealer ordered the part and they said it will take roughly 2 hours to repair.

Not sure if this helps anyone or not. Just thought I would throw this out there because this forum helped me by keeping me from shutting my engine off when I arrived at the dealer.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Since the wrench icon had been illuminating (with "Service Soon" message displayed) on a daily basis, I dropped my FEH off at the local dealer. They called me this morning to say it was a faulty battery door motor. When I asked the service advisor the cost, she said she believed it was covered under warranty, but she would call me back. When she called back, she said it is NOT covered under warranty, and the cost will be $242.59 (parts and labor). I was hoping there was a TSB on it, so at least they would pick up the tab for the part, and I would only have to pay for labor.

Is there a TSB? This seems to be a common problem and was hoping there was one.

Did any of you with this problem see any MPG increase or decrease after getting it fixed?

Last edited by Escape_from_Hanover; 10-20-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
Since the wrench icon had been illuminating (with "Service Soon" message displayed) on a daily basis, I dropped my FEH off at the local dealer. They called me this morning to say it was a faulty battery door motor. When I asked the service advisor the cost, she said she believed it was covered under warranty, but she would call me back. When she called back, she said it is NOT covered under warranty, and the cost will be $242.59 (parts and labor). I was hoping there was a TSB on it, so at least they would pick up the tab for the part, and I would only have to pay for labor.

Is there a TSB? This seems to be a common problem and was hoping there was one.

Did any of you with this problem see any MPG increase or decrease after getting it fixed?
The Hybrid components are covered by either an 8 year 120K or a 10 year 150K warranty. Since the door is for the hybrid traction battery, I'm surprised that it isn't covered under the hybrid warranty. The door opens to help cool the traction battery.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
The Hybrid components are covered by either an 8 year 120K or a 10 year 150K warranty. Since the door is for the hybrid traction battery, I'm surprised that it isn't covered under the hybrid warranty. The door opens to help cool the traction battery.
I totally agree, Steve. One would think it would be covered under the hybrid component warranty. Regular gasoline-powered Ford Escapes do not have that part, because they are not hybrids. That part is necessary for the traction battery on FEHs. I will check my owner's manual when I get home, and I won't fork out that kind of money with more of a fight.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I totally agree, Steve. One would think it would be covered under the hybrid component warranty. Regular gasoline-powered Ford Escapes do not have that part, because they are not hybrids. That part is necessary for the traction battery on FEHs. I will check my owner's manual when I get home, and I won't fork out that kind of money with more of a fight.
Yes, there is a TSB for this issue:

07-25-12 DEC 07 Hybrid Systems - Wrench Lamp ON/DTC B1239 Set

Good luck trying to get Ford to fix it for free, though.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM

I bought a previously owned 2005 FEH 4WD with 59,997-miles. I had no issues the first few weeks, but, within the past week, the wrench icon and "service soon" message have appeared. The wrench icon has stayed until the vehicle was turned off and restarted. From what I've read, the dealer (or any other service center) has no luck diagnosing the problem unless the wrench icon is displayed. Is that correct? I have read a recommendation of taking the vehicle to Auto Zone while the wrench icon is displayed, so they can hook it up to a ScanGauge for free. Is that the best recommendation? Luckily, I have an Auto Zone a few miles away, but both times the problem occurred was when my wife or I could not take it to Auto Zone. Maybe it will happen during the day this week when we are near Auto Zone to get it checked out. It seems there are many different reasons this could be happening. Thanks!
No... I doubt very much that will work. My scanguage didn't show anything with the light lit up. Its not in the standard diagnostic codes as far as I can tell.

Take it to the DEALER, don't turn it off... don't let them turn it off and have them read the code with the engine running and the wrench light lit. If it goes out.. the code will be gone. If its the A/C bypass door in the rear that is. Other codes will hang around.

If they read it with the standard reader and don't see a code... hey the lights still lit. The service tech got a different reader to read mine. Not the standard one.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Yes, there is a TSB for this issue:

07-25-12 DEC 07 Hybrid Systems - Wrench Lamp ON/DTC B1239 Set

Good luck trying to get Ford to fix it for free, though.
Thanks for the TSB information, Carl! Do you have any specifics of the TSB? I did a search on "Hybrid Systems - Wrench Lamp ON/DTC B1239 Set" on Google, and only one result was found -- see http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/20/052069er.html. I was hoping to get the specifics of the TSB for free somewhere on-line, and make sure it applies to my 2006 FEH AWD.

Quick Reply: Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands