Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Wrench Icon and "Service Soon" Message

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Any resolution on yours?

Add our 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD with a little over 26k miles. The wrench lamp and SERVICE SOON lit up last night on a (nice, pleasant, cool, windows down -- no A/C) drive home.

I have a ScanGauge II but it wasn't plugged in at the time the lamp and message center note illuminated, though reading this thread apparently that wouldn't have mattered. :-/

What I saw last night, and of course like everyone else here, what had auto-cleared itself when I shut her down for the night and got in to drive it today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildtexas/3436767396/
Well, like I said in a previous post I was able to read the code as long as the BTC xgauge showed 1. Then you can extract the other info with the DTC xgauge I listed. If you could do this and report back that might help others to see how the process goes.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
What I saw last night, and of course like everyone else here, what had auto-cleared itself when I shut her down for the night and got in to drive it today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildtexas/3436767396/
Originally Posted by DesertDog
Well, like I said in a previous post I was able to read the code as long as the BTC xgauge showed 1. Then you can extract the other info with the DTC xgauge I listed. If you could do this and report back that might help others to see how the process goes.
On my ScanGauge II, I get a BTC xgauge value of 1 (photo here just because it's easy documentation -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildtexas/3438410745/ ) I now understand this means that there's one stored or pending DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) from the BCM (Battery Control Module?)

What is the arduous task you make reference to in post #51 regarding retrieving the stored or pending DTCs from the BCM using the Scangauge II?

Even then, I realize the result of your hard work was a DTC of B1239 which signifies a blend door driver circuit failure.

I'm guessing I can't just walk up to my friendly Ford service tech advisor, tell/show them this thread (but no active WRENCH LAMP and SERVICE NOW message in the vehicle) and make progress to resolve/replace this failed part(s)?

It's going to get very hot here (South Texas) very soon (summer), so I guess my best hope is the situation will recur and I will somehow find myself able to head straight to Ford, without an appointment, and convince them to put my vehicle ahead of everyone else's just to scan it without turning it off so we can log this fault?

Whee, sounds like FUN!

Last edited by GeekGal; 04-13-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Enthusiast

I just had mine repaired for the exact same thing. I told the service adviser about the TSB, he looked at me kind of funny but did note it. Called later that day and said I was right. The part has to be shipped in so this is at least a two day repair.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:29 PM

Took ours in at 7 AM. Had 30k mile service done at same time as work for the B1239 code in the TBCM (wrench lamp & Service Soon msg). Same day service with pickup after 5 PM & got a free rental car for the day, but $350 parts+labor just on the fix Ouchies. I'm jealous of the folks who were quoted (or paid) $250 for same. Our grand total was more obviously due to 30k mile service work.

Upshot same as previously mentioned in this & related threads by others -- Actuator for the battery fresh air door failed.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:13 AM

Just got my 08 FEH back from the dealership after getting the occasional wench light. Here's what the invoice says:

Concern: Customer states wrench light comes on intermittently, motor blend door TSB 072512 (I gave them this information going in)
Cause: Aux Airflow Door
Correction: EEC Test BCM B1239, Replaced the Aux Airflow Mode Door Actuator and Reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module
Parts: FMC 8L8Z 19E616 E - SPO (Special Parts Order) - Motor Assembly $12.88
Labor: 072512A - 1.1hrs - $87.24
Total Charge for Concern: $105.27

My cost: $0 (My FEH is still under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty)

Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
Just got my 08 FEH back from the dealership after getting the occasional wench light. Here's what the invoice says:

Concern: Customer states wrench light comes on intermittently, motor blend door TSB 072512 (I gave them this information going in)
Cause: Aux Airflow Door
Correction: EEC Test BCM B1239, Replaced the Aux Airflow Mode Door Actuator and Reprogram the Traction Battery Control Module
Parts: FMC 8L8Z 19E616 E - SPO (Special Parts Order) - Motor Assembly $12.88
Labor: 072512A - 1.1hrs - $87.24
Total Charge for Concern: $105.27

My cost: $0 (My FEH is still under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty)
That's a pretty good deal. The MSRP for that part is $23.42 and they only charged $79/hr labor for the suggested number of hours.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
That's a pretty good deal. The MSRP for that part is $23.42 and they only charged $79/hr labor for the suggested number of hours.

That's the reason I posted it. I saw others reporting >$200 for this repair and my bill told a much different story. If anyone would like a copy of my bill for leverage if/when they have this done (out of warranty) PM me.