wrench light/service soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: wrench light/service soon

Just an update, Carmax called and said ford got it to replicate the problem and they say its the electronic throttle body and will have the part tommorrow and replace it, I sure hope this fixes it. what do you guys think, sound like a good fix to the problem??

Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hi c0ugar69,
Did they tell you what was wrong with the throttle body? Was it a problem with the sensor on the throttle body? I guess we'll have to wait and see if the problem goes away with the new part. Thanks for updating this thread. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

i hope it fixes it, only about a week left on the warranty from carmax. as soon as i sell my truck i think i am gona get a extended warranty. know of any good ones???

Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had mine (06 FEH AWD) in for a 'service soon' light. The first day they did the oil change, but didn't run the codes because the oil change guy decided that 'they all do that' when they need an oil change...

Got in the car to leave the dealership and the wrench light was still on.
Too late in the day to run the codes that day. Bring in back in the morning...

Next day they found that the hv battery A/C blender door actuator motor was bad. Replaced same under warranty and I'm good to go. Gas mileage has jumped back to earlier highs. Woo Hoo!

Anyhow, the service tech said that the number one wrench light cause was the drive by wire throttle connection, either at the throttle body or at the pedal.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

thats good to know, hope that takes care of it then.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

As for extended warranties, Ford offers one fairly reasonably. I've been burned by private extended warranties in the past (shortly after my problem, my state's AG sued them for doing business illegally here; of course, I got nothing from the settlement!), so on my last car (an Olds) I bought the GM warranty. It more than paid for itself when my tranny had to be rebuilt at 67,000 miles (the warranty ran out at 67,500!). Go to Ford's website or talk to a dealer.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

i have too many miles for the ford extended warranty, only up to 36000 i believe, And i have 42000. ohhhwell, my credit union has one that i may get.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was told by my dealer I could get a Ford warranty after the 36000 miles. Maybe you should talk with your dealer to see if they can do anything for you? With whatever one you get, make sure the company is registered in your state. This is a form of insurance, and the company must be registered as an insurance provider in the state to be a legal warranty. If the company is not registered, you have no legal recourse if something happens because officially the company doesn't exist in your state, and the state could sue them but not you.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 'service engine' light has come on only once. I had just taken it for an oil change the day before at the local Ford dealer -- but I don't think this had anything to do with it.

There was some local road construction in my area and the car happened to drive for quite a few miles on all electric power -- all the way into my garage. The electric battery was probably *just* at the point where the engine would have been forced on to do a charge cycle when I parked it.

When I started the car the following morning and put it into reverse to back out of the drive, the engine started to rev up before having any chance to warm up and the electric motor's charge/boost indicator showed that it was giving the battery a pretty heavy charge. The light came on and the car shut down.

I sat quietly in my driveway for a few minutes contemplating what had happened and pieced together that the battery was probably nearly dead -- plus I would have to move the car anyway. My dirveway pinches together in a way that there's no way I could get my other car out of the garage unless I moved this one. I figured the engine couldn't possibly be over-heating and the oil was ok so I decided to try to restart it and see what would happen.

I started the car and tried to back out again, this time the 'service engine soon' light did NOT come on but the engine did rev (although not as much as the previous time). I figured I'd drive it around the block a couple of times to see if it had any problems -- figuring I couldn't be more than a block from the house and could always have it towed back to the dealer if it really had a problem.

It was absolutely fine. It wanted to charge the electric battery a lot for the first few miles of driving and I think the fact that it was forced to do this before the engine could warm up probably tripped an emissions sensor and flagged the 'service' light to come on.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

well so far so good, the service light hasnt come back on, took it to the coast with the family which is a good 5.5 hour round trip, ran great, averaged 33mpg. Went with the carmax extended plan for 4 years 48000 miles, has a 50 dollar deductible. it has all the same stuff as the credit union plan but was cheaper. they seamed to treat me good during the last break down so i went with them.

Quick Reply: wrench light/service soon

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands