wrench light/Service Soon

Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default wrench light/Service Soon

Just had the dreaded wrench light come on this afternoon. Vehicle has almost 20k miles so I at first thought it was a service reminder, which it obviously isn't. Nothing abnormal was observed about vehicle operation or running, and it did reset on engine restart.

So I guess it's off to the dealer next week. An older thread on this indicated that a "hv battery A/C blender door actuator motor" failure was the most likely cause, so I'll pass that along to the tech.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Default Re: wrench light/Service Soon

Before you go to the dealer, try to read a code. Some autoparts stores will hook up their equipment and read the code for free. Your scanguage also can read codes.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
Before you go to the dealer, try to read a code. Some autoparts stores will hook up their equipment and read the code for free. Your scanguage also can read codes.
Thanks, I'll try the SG tomorrow.

Been away for a weekend trip in the '90 VW Westfalia (Vanagon). Nothing like driving that vehicle to make me appreciate my FEH in every way!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM

No stored codes and problem has not reoccurred. Maybe it was just a glitch, I hope.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
No stored codes and problem has not reoccurred. Maybe it was just a glitch, I hope.
That was the symptom on my 2008 when the battery door motor was bad. There is a TSB on this isse and it should cost nothing to repair.

I had the wrench light come on and then go out, or reset on power off. No codes in the SG2.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The following xgauge will give # of stored & pending DTCs from the HV battery computer, which most code readers (including SG) can't detect:

TXD: 0745220200
RXF: 046205020600
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: bTC

Unfortunately, this just shows if there are codes, not what they are. When I had the blend door problem, this stayed at 1 for about 2 weeks after the wrench light went off.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks guys, great info! I'll setup that xgauge tonight.

The wrench light came on again today, and I was one mile from the dealer so I went there. Their code reader was in use so they couldn't help me with that.

Service manager checked for recalls, none found. He asked me to change the change the HV battery filter (19250 miles on it), and make a service appointment if I get the wrench light again. I tried to buy the filter at the dealer, but it was close to $40 out the door, so I got a Wix filter at CarQuest for $20.

I report back when it's fixed. Thanks again guys.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks guys, great info! I'll setup that xgauge tonight.

The wrench light came on again today, and I was one mile from the dealer so I went there. Their code reader was in use so they couldn't help me with that.

Service manager checked for recalls, none found. He asked me to change the change the HV battery filter (19250 miles on it), and make a service appointment if I get the wrench light again. I tried to buy the filter at the dealer, but it was close to $40 out the door, so I got a Wix filter at CarQuest for $20.

I report back when it's fixed. Thanks again guys.
Don, it's not the filter but it needs changing at leased every 20,000 miles. My battery blend door has caused many wrench lights for 20,000 miles and keeps resetting. Until I have a permanent light or even a sign of operational problems, I'm not spending money to have it repaired.

Today, I got over 45mpg on E-shi* in my '05 with Carl "reverse fake shift" driving EV to the max. The light came on again but cleared at a restart. I'm sure the problem is more a once in a while problem with the Battery Control Module because I've never seen a drop in MPG for it.

GaryG

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Don, it's not the filter but it needs changing at leased every 20,000 miles. My battery blend door has caused many wrench lights for 20,000 miles and keeps resetting. Until I have a permanent light or even a sign of operational problems, I'm not spending money to have it repaired.

Today, I got over 45mpg on E-shi* in my '05 with Carl "reverse fake shift" driving EV to the max. The light came on again but cleared at a restart. I'm sure the problem is more a once in a while problem with the Battery Control Module because I've never seen a drop in MPG for it.

GaryG
Thanks Gary. I just programmed the bTC xgauge that Carl suggested and it shows "1" DTC from the HV battery computer. I'm going to have it fixed since I'm still under warranty. Wish I could get your kind of mileage though.