Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Wrench Service Soon and Red Triangle of Death fixes are DEBUNKED (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/wrench-service-soon-red-triangle-death-fixes-debunked-31816/)

The Rook 01-09-2019 09:53 AM

Wrench Service Soon and Red Triangle of Death fixes are DEBUNKED

Hi all,

I know there are a ton of threads on the Red Triangle of Death and the Wrench Service Soon conundrum within the FEH world. I have a 2006 FEH.

I'll start by saying about a year and a half ago, I had experienced the triangle and pull over safely now. I researched it as much as possible and replaced the MECS Pump. That worked for about one year and change.

I then had the triangle of death start up again after that break in which I ordered the same MECS Pump and replaced it the same exact way. One week later, I got the triangle of death with a feeling of defeat.

Aside from that, I've noticed the small Wrench Service Soon problem in which I ignored for over a year because it would make the Beep (that haunts my dreams now) and come up for about 3 seconds, repeat, then be done.

I finally decided to change the blend door actuator since most threads came to that conclusion. I did that last week and today I got the wrench light again.

The reason I am writing Debunked for this is because I am out of answers from what I can find. I was hoping someone had done the same thing as me, followed the boards and fixed what they thought was supposed to work.

I've taken it plenty of time for codes, with nothing being read. I'm sure I could invest in the specialized code reader, but until then I was hoping someone would have some more suggestions beyond these suggestions that are first thrown our way.

I'm starting to think it's just the FEH mid 2000s problems. I'm at the point where I could still get some value for it being that I only have 102k miles and have done a lot of repairs/upgrades. However, I like the car and want to keep it it's just the last thing I want on my mind with the family is the triangle of death in the wilderness or far from home.

All thoughts are appreciated!

econoline 01-09-2019 12:33 PM

Re: Wrench Service Soon and Red Triangle of Death fixes are DEBUNKED

I replaced blend door actuator and MECS pump on my 2007, once each, as they failed. The code for the door actuator can be read on a Scangauge, and there are specific tests for the MECS pump failure but again you need a Scangauge. I wouldn't recommend just replacing parts unless you see the specific codes for that failure. A Scangauge is essential for troubleshooting this vehicle. Also, the blend door code can be triggered by just a slightly dirty HV battery air filter, so do check for that and just remove the filter as a test.

S Keith 01-09-2019 05:45 PM

Re: Wrench Service Soon and Red Triangle of Death fixes are DEBUNKED

Originally Posted by The Rook (Post 267127)
Hi all,

I know there are a ton of threads on the Red Triangle of Death and the Wrench Service Soon conundrum within the FEH world. I have a 2006 FEH.

I'll start by saying about a year and a half ago, I had experienced the triangle and pull over safely now. I researched it as much as possible and replaced the MECS Pump. That worked for about one year and change.

I then had the triangle of death start up again after that break in which I ordered the same MECS Pump and replaced it the same exact way. One week later, I got the triangle of death with a feeling of defeat.

Aside from that, I've noticed the small Wrench Service Soon problem in which I ignored for over a year because it would make the Beep (that haunts my dreams now) and come up for about 3 seconds, repeat, then be done.

I finally decided to change the blend door actuator since most threads came to that conclusion. I did that last week and today I got the wrench light again.

The reason I am writing Debunked for this is because I am out of answers from what I can find. I was hoping someone had done the same thing as me, followed the boards and fixed what they thought was supposed to work.

I've taken it plenty of time for codes, with nothing being read. I'm sure I could invest in the specialized code reader, but until then I was hoping someone would have some more suggestions beyond these suggestions that are first thrown our way.

I'm starting to think it's just the FEH mid 2000s problems. I'm at the point where I could still get some value for it being that I only have 102k miles and have done a lot of repairs/upgrades. However, I like the car and want to keep it it's just the last thing I want on my mind with the family is the triangle of death in the wilderness or far from home.

All thoughts are appreciated!

You've debunked nothing. The symptoms/indications you describe can have a dozen different causes. Sounds like you got lucky on the MECS, but you just shotgun blasted it the second time.

OR you're not telling us the whole story.

The wrench and CEL come on for ONE reason - there is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) present.

I've taken it plenty of time for codes
Where? Dealership? If so, I don't believe you. Autozone? Yes, I believe you. Autozone is the WORST place to take a car for diagnostics. Their equipment is complete and total garbage and/or their people are incompetent. I've personally encountered dozens of people who reported that Autozone said, "no codes." Codes were present each and every time. O'Reilly uses Bosch (you know.. the guys that invented the CAN bus used in automotive electronics) brand code readers and almost always get it right.

Wrench codes are outside the normal OBDII standards and are effectively proprietary to Ford.

Two things will empower you to fix your problem (pick one):
1) COMPETENT dealership (may have to visit a few to find any with FEH or MMH expertise)
2) Forscan

Trying random fixes on forums is not an effective way to facilitate repairs.

EDIT: Compared to Forscan, Scangauge is worthless as a diagnostic tool, and vastly overpriced and clunky to use. I have a Scangauge. I have yet to find a good use for it.