Yakima Cargo Box - Trip report.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Yakima Cargo Box - Trip report.

Just a little Accessory/Trip report……

I bought a Yakima 16S Cargo box a few months back and I finally had a chance to use it (I bought it for trip last spring that got canceled). The 16s is slightly smaller than the roof of the FEH, but it mounts right to the factory rack (or to Yakima or Thule Bars). It opens from both sides and almost color matches the FEH silver (like mine). I set mine pretty far back on the FEH so that a raised back hatch just clears the back of the Yakima box. Ideally this keeps the front of the box in the disturbed air behind (and above) the windshield.

We put about 150-200 lbs of gear in the rack last weekend and hit the road. In addition I had about another 150 lbs of gear inside the FEH. Plus of course the family unit - 2 kids and the significant other. I figured we were pushing the comfortable weight limit of the vehicle.

I drove about 400 miles in this configuration and burned just over 1 tank of gas. The road was U.S. 101 North of Willits, Ca. to Crescent City and back (the Redwood highway). The highway is mainly freeway, but twisty and mountainous in places, with some 2 lane stretches. In other words - lots of places to see how the FEH handled the extra weight and to see how that extra weight affected the mileage and performance.

The FEH handled much better than I expected. I personally have found my FEH to be a bit mushy on the daily drive over similar roads and I expected the extra weight, especially on the roof, to make things that much more mushy. Actually with the exception of some more body lean in the corners and the occasional need to slow down a bit more than I would have liked, she handled very well. Much better than I expected.

The performance was also very good. The “normal” cruising speed on this road (at least for us north coast locals) is about 75-80 MPH and the FEH kept this up with no problems. On some of the steeper grades I did drop the speed down to 60-70 MPH just to keep the engine out of the noisy RPM range. I did notice the electric side of the drivetrain seemed extra busy and the battery gauge hit zero quite a few times, but no low power warnings were received and no power drops were noticed.

I did not drive for mileage (I rarely do with the family in the car) but I was still impressed. I saw 25 MPG going northbound (about 2000 feet drop in elevation between start and final, total elevation change much more). I got 29 MPG going “uphill” on the way back (at a bit slower speed). I have 13,000 Miles on the FEH (AWD) and average 27 MPG on my daily commute (over one of the steepest freeway grades in the US.). On a similar trip last year in my 2002 F-250 (with no cargo box, but 2 - 16 ft kayaks) I averaged 11 MPG.

Given the nearly unnoticeable fuel penalty and the nearly perfect color match I would recommend the Yakima 16s to any FEH owner. Yakima also makes a longer but narrower 18s and a longer and just as wide 21s. I think either one could fit the FEH, but might not be as aerodynamic.

Chris Brown

Willits, Ca.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Yakima Cargo Box - Trip report.

Very nice work on the review. Thanks, Chris.
What was the damage on the Carbo box and where did you get it?

Old 06-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Yakima Cargo Box - Trip report.

I got it from our local bike shop, but I got a great deal because I sold him a bunch of used Kayak rack stuff from my old pickup. I think I paid about $250, but the retail price is closer to $400. I went normal retail because they only ship them via truck and that costs an arm and a leg (they are oversized). Dave (at the bike shop) was able to save a lot of money because he ordered about 8 Yakima boxes at once and they covered the frieght. It made about a month delay before mine came in, but it was worth it for the cost savings.

Yakima also makes a black box that is slightly cheaper and has most of the same features.

Chris