15,000 mile service

Old 01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default 15,000 mile service

Has or will anyone have the 15,000 mile service performed at the dealer.
When I looked at the list of things recommended by the dealer, it's basically just a visual inspection of things and an oil change, for $220.00!
I'm at 14,500, and going in for an oil change and the software update, and planning on saving the extra $200.00. Any comments?

Thanks in advance
Bernie

Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 15,000 mile service

It would be good to check the minimum requirement for warranty purposes. Can your local mechanic do the service as well?

Old 01-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They can't deny a warrantee repair later because a visual inspection was/was not done; only if there is no documentation that required actual maintenance was done (oil changes, other fluid/filter changes). Just get the update (if you got the letter) and oil changed.

Or, just get the update and change the oil yourself- the Accord is the easiest car I've ever seen for changing oil- you don't even have to get under it.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

I have the same question. My HAH is already at 18,000 so I passed the 15k mark a while back. I called a local oil change place and they say hey won't even work on a hybrid - imagine! So my dealer says they will charge $149.99--and I agree, it's essentially an oil change with visual inspection. Hardly worth paying $150! Perhaps I can just have them do the oil filter change and see what they charge to top off the fluids?

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:58 PM

You could always change your own oil. And while the oil is draining, look in your manual for what to inspect and do those inspections. It won't take long.

That's strange that a local oil change place won't work on hybrids. The oil change process is no different from a regular car.

I don't know if this is the case with all dealerships, but the ones I've been going to will top off your fluids during an oil change for no additional charge. Usually, the only thing to top off is the washer fluid. So even if they don't perform that service for free, you can buy a jug of washer fluid for $1. The other fluids should be fine. But for peace of mind, it's pretty easy to check them. Instructions can be found in the owner's manual. Or, just post a specific question here and someone will help you out.

One thing I'd watch out if you do go to the dealer to do an oil change is to get a price quote before they do the work. My dealership told me an oil change will cost $39.99 because it's a hybrid. When I asked why it would cost more, they said because they have to use more expensive oil. I asked them what type they use and they said Honda 0W-20. I had to remind them that the HAH uses 5W-20. They didn't believe me at first. I wonder how many HAH owners they've overcharged in the past? The standard oil change is $21.95.

Speaking of oil changes, I was buying oil from my local service station recently. I buy a lot of car care supplies at the service station on the military base here because they're usually cheaper and don't charge sales tax. I looked through their shelves at the Mobil 1 and didn't see any 5W-20. I asked the clerk about it and he said he could special order it for me. I placed an order for two cases. At the end of the week, I go back to pick up my order. A different guy is there and couldn't find my order. He took my name and number and told me he'd call me when the other guy comes in to see if the order was placed or if it was hiding somewhere in the back. He asked me what weight I ordered and I told him it was 5W-20. He turned to his co-worker and began saying that it's much too light, and that he'd never use anything that low in any cars he works on. The other guy completely agreeded with him. I wasn't really in a mood to talk, so I just kept my mouth shut, told them bye, and walked out. I didn't want to get into it with them that most new Fords and Hondas use/recommend 5W-20, and even some 0W-20! Perhaps, when I go back, I'll have that conversation with them just to see what they have to say. Then I'll remind them why I don't take my vehicles to their station for service...

Old 04-20-2006, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by savvyshopper111
I have the same question. My HAH is already at 18,000 so I passed the 15k mark a while back. I called a local oil change place and they say hey won't even work on a hybrid - imagine! So my dealer says they will charge $149.99--and I agree, it's essentially an oil change with visual inspection. Hardly worth paying $150! Perhaps I can just have them do the oil filter change and see what they charge to top off the fluids?

Any input would be appreciated.
Take it in to the local place and they probably won't even notice its hybrid. If they give you a hard time show them the "5W20" label. They won't do hybrids as a rule probably because they don't carry 0W20, which all the current hybrids except the HAH use. 5W20, which the HAH uses, is a standard oil that GM and Ford also use on all their vehicles now.

As for the dealer, you ALWAYS have the right to refuse to allow them to do maintenance. Its a la carte. You tell them what you want done, and nothing more. They can only charge you for what you contracutally allowed them to do.
The dealer wants to do the entire routine- just say no.

You gain points with the neighbors by doing it yourself. Especially if you have a beer popped open sitting next to the car. The beer amplifies the testosterone field strength. Even more if you rotate the tires too.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

I have close to 24,000 on my HAH. I have gotton several Oil changes from a couple of different National chains that do Oil changes. One Chain even had the correct oil listed in their "on line" look up for HAHs.

George M

Old 04-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

Just had my (wifes) HAH in for a 20,000 change, and got the same thing from the service writer, "it will be more expensive because the hybrid uses a different oil"!!! For the 3rd time, I had to tell them that that is only the Civic. The only good news is that my next one is free. They give a punch card, and for every 3 changes (@25.00), the 4th is free. In theory, they top off fluids during these oil changes. I'm going to wait until the 30,000 before I have them do anything else.

Bernie

Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah

One thing I'd watch out if you do go to the dealer to do an oil change is to get a price quote before they do the work. My dealership told me an oil change will cost $39.99 because it's a hybrid. When I asked why it would cost more, they said because they have to use more expensive oil. I asked them what type they use and they said Honda 0W-20. I had to remind them that the HAH uses 5W-20. They didn't believe me at first. I wonder how many HAH owners they've overcharged in the past? The standard oil change is $21.95.
Unfortunately I was overcharged when I went for my 2nd oil change (first one was free of course). They told me the old b.s. about the Hybrid needing 0W20. So I paid the $39.99. But when I went the next time they gave me the regular price. Standard oil changes at my dealer are $27.99, so I'm not sure where I can get the $21.95. Maybe when they have specials.

So when I go this weekend, I am just going to get the oil change and see if they can top off the fluids for free. If they don't want to top off the fluids I guess I will take a look at the manual and do it myself.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM

The only fluid that should need topping off is the washer fluid. But if you really want to check the rest of them, I'll be happy to walk you through it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15,000 mile service

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands