2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Fresh owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Fresh owner

Hey guys, 3 weeks ago I bought a 2005 HAH with 150K on it. The batt was replaced by Honda in 2013, I have all the papers.

Well, for some reason I can't get more than 23 MPG. The NAV trip computer shows a different MPG, something like 25 MPG , not sure which one is the correct one.

Can you guys give me some tips about how to drive to get better mpgs ?

Also I would like to know where I can find a good charger / discharger for my battery because I kinda want to extend the life before it's too late and gets messed up.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Fresh owner

Hello Hanosky,

Normally the charge and discharge cycles programmed with our car is already pretty optimal to make sure our battery will stay healthy as long possible. My battery gave in after 10 years and end up having to replace with a new one (Bumble Bee). 10 years usually is a good number considering how much it have been used. At this time you only need to consider if you should replace the battery or let it be!

If you replace the battery (like me):

Then it will be a no-brainer that you will indeed keep the car! If the quality of the replacement battery is good, it should last you another 10 years again! If this is the choice, there is nothing to worry about, just keep driving and do the routine maintenance of the HAH.

If you let it be:

The HAH will still drive for a while longer without too much a problem, just degrading fuel economy as the battery get discharged faster, ECO mode eventually will be no more as the battery gets weaker. The V6 engine will be firing all 6 no problem and drives normally UNTIL finally if the hybrid battery give in without able to provide decent juice to even do the daily chores of keeping the car going (which means it gives before the required power to power the ECB at the rear seat to charge your conventional 12V under the hood), then the car will be officially certified dead unless the hybrid battery is replaced.

As for tips on best fuel mileage possible on the 05-07 HAH, I have given these in the past:

- Make sure HAH is always cruising with ECO green icon on. You need to give a very light foot to keep it there.

- Make sure when you stop...also give only enough pressure to have a full stop at your intended stopping point. Key is to look far ahead and start apply light brake ahead of time. The pressure should be applied just enough for a full GREEN charge bar to appear...nothing more and nothing less. This lets the motor does the slowing down for you.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hanosky
Hey guys, 3 weeks ago I bought a 2005 HAH with 150K on it. The batt was replaced by Honda in 2013, I have all the papers.

Well, for some reason I can't get more than 23 MPG. The NAV trip computer shows a different MPG, something like 25 MPG , not sure which one is the correct one.

Can you guys give me some tips about how to drive to get better mpgs ?

Also I would like to know where I can find a good charger / discharger for my battery because I kinda want to extend the life before it's too late and gets messed up.

Thanks.
What is your SoC gauge doing?

Do you ever see it go from full to empty very quickly and sometimes go from empty to full very quickly?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Fresh owner

Yeah please give us more details.

The SoC gauge should go up and down steadily...not too fast up and downwards.

I find the best way to test it is to waste a little bit of gas if you want results quickly as one method:

1) Start the car and leave it to park

2) Most effective if you have between 2-3 bars...rev the car to about 4000RPM for about 10-15 seconds...you should see the SoC gauge goes up by 1-2 bars. If it goes more, then you probably have a weak IMA battery.

The normal method if you don't want to waste our precious liquid gold:

1) Drive normallly while cruising...SofC should be around 2-3 bars before trying...steadily accerlerate about 7-10MPH more (15-20kms in my case if no cops around) and then ease off the accelerator and you shall see the GREEN CHARGE bar coming on MOST of the time...about half way. Once the speeed have reach back to around your speed limit...repeat this process few times. Each time you should either get NO BAR gain or 1 bar. If you do this few times and get about 1-2 bars then your IMA battery is healthy. If you get full charge 6 bars by then, then the IMA battery is relatively on the weak
side.

2) You can attempt this at a healthy 4 bars (most of the time you have 4 bars driving normally on ECO mode). Few times like that should get you to around 5-6 bars. If after 3 times you cycle this method and only at the end you get 6 bars, then IMA battery is good. If you get 6 bars with 1 try, IMA battery is reaching end of life.

3) Needless to say, if IMA and battery light is ON, then IMA battery is almost certain toast

I have been there and done that.

One more tip, if you find one day the car won't start up and you find lights are dimming/weak and/or your radio have reset after few 3-5 sec bursts of cranking the ignition few times, then most likely your 12V battery is toast and definitely not your IMA battery. This HAH IMA system we have are designed to NOT start the car if system detects a weak 12V battery that doesn't give 12.6V while cranking. As soon as it sees it, is uses the IMA battery to start the car instantly.

Needless to say, backup starting we got a electric starter to CRANK our 6 banger up AS LONG AS you have a healthy 12V battery under the hood.

Hope it all helps! Drive on our HAH!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Also tell us how you are driving the HAH...

City driving how you drive?

Highway driving how you drive?

You do most CITY or HWY driving or MIXED?