2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Help on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Help on Purchase

Hi all, I'm new to the forums, but became quite interested in the Accord Hybrid due to it's mix of power and fuel economy.

I'm just curious what the community thinks about the vehicle and this situation.

I've ran a VIN check on the car and it reports no major accidents.
The Honda site indicates the vehicle has not been recalled (I believe there was one done for the transmission for a view vehicles).

The car has 171,000 KM (106,000mi).

Is there something I need to be aware of in regards to repairs or potential issues: transmission, battery etc

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Help on Purchase

I recommend you read through the forums here and you'll learn quite a bit about the Accord hybrid.

If you can get a great price on a well taken care of car, you're golden. Major problems with the Accord hybrid aren't common. The members on this forum are only a small sample of owners out there, but even so, you'll see that overall most owners here are very pleased with their cars.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the pointers.
I've taken a look through the forums, and to be quite honest, I still have a few questions.

1. How long does the battery typically last?
I did notice a few had to take it in for in-warranty replacement.

2. Are maintenance and repairs much greater than a regular Accord?
I'm understand that a new battery is quite expensive, but how about other repairs?

I'm weighing my options, but I may lean towards a 4-cyl Accord instead due to maintenance costs.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast

Bought a used 05 Accord Hybrid w/ Nav last year about this time. It had 80k miles on it and was ridiculously well maintained. In the past year I have put 20k miles on it and have had nary a problem. The IMA battery is still strong, the car gets about 31 mpg regularly (unless my wife's lead foot drives it). It just passed Pennsylvania state inspection and emissions test with flying colors. I'm very happy with mine. I have seen no extra maintenance from the IMA system at all..

The only thing to watch out for that happens regularly as far as I can see is the low end hum from the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC). ANC is a system that uses the stereo speakers to actively counteract cabin noise. The ANC has been known to wonk out a bit so that if you are traveling on a rougher than average road at certain speeds (usually about 55mph or 40 mph) the speakers will emit a pretty loud low end hum. This happens whether or not the stereo is on. The fix is to replace the ANC, which can run in the $1000 range. You can replace it yourself but it's fairly involved.

Other than that I am a BIG Accord Hybrid fan. If you get a chance to buy one with the NAV system, I'd do it. It's a very cool system.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...peakers-24726/

Old 08-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid Help on Purchase

I am glad to contribute my 2 cents here.

I have a 2006 Accord Hybrid with all options (including Navigation). Fortunately I still have my remaining extended warranty left which will be due next April 2013.

However I can say that I really haven't did much to the car and it just kept running and running without any issues whatsoever.

It spent the 1st 3 years of its life with a pretty balanced city/highway driving. Since 2009, driving habits changed in this car.

So far, I have 158k on the clock and on average for the past year, the fuel economy is average 9.4L/100kms involving mostly city driven speed up to 80kms on average with traffic here and there. The only time this car really hit the highway are long-journeys to a vacation getaway. Otherwise I will say 70 city /30 highway since 2009.

The major work this car has performed are the following times:

1) In 2009 towards end of the year, car was involved in a continuation of X'mas IMA lights. Initially it starts with a combination of these lights: IMA, Engine, "D" blinking, VCM.

NO WORRIES, as I will explain later it is just a simple problem and NOT even the car's problem at the end. Just trying to tell you a story of my journey towards a resolution to this X'mas tree effect.

This is what happened:

As mentioned above, one find evening after having dinner with friends...as I drove out of the parking lot, out of nowhere the X'mas lights came on. Prior 1 month ago, the original Panasonic OEM 12V battery goes weak and need replacement. So I replaced it with what I thought the best battery I can give to my beloved Accord Hybrid...OPTIMA Yellow-Top 12V Deep Cycle battery. So I discount the fact it is this new battery's problem and overlooked it completely.

This X'mas light effect caused the Accord to revert to its backup system plan (electric starter activated, 12V battery solely powers the car till the main ECU detect the Hybrid system si partially or fully functional again).

The next day, the ECO mode starts to work again...meaning VCM works again....and hybrid battery will also charge BUT "D" is still blinking, engine light still on and IMA light also.

Went to the Honda dealership this car from originally from, they checked and they feel it might be the Hybrid ECU controller which is located near the Ni-MH hybrid battery compartment. So they special ordered the controller and replaced it. Yeah...got a new ECU controller!!

So I thought that was it...and a bit concerned this will happen to me again in the future.

Before I can finish the sentence above, in 2 weeks time, it happened again with the same lights coming on. Brought it into Honda again and when they check my 12V voltage...voila...it is that the Optima Yellow-Top battery is defective. I cannot believe it. Anyways, I was forced to buy another OEM battery from Honda so my car can run properly. Mind you, my Accord Hybrid was in "lumping" mode when finally arriving to the dealership with all power and instruments going choo choo...flickering and all.

So all this, it was due to the stupid 12V battery which was supposed to be the best battery in the world and a powerful one! Got a replacement but NOT using it due to the OEM already in place. So the NEW battery has been sitting in my basement.

2) Around the same time with the above problem mentioned , a firmware upgrade was performed during the time. With this I have noticed an improvement in fuel economy. For the first time, I can see approx. 7.8L/100km city average on some tanks of fuel.

That's it...that's the most major things done to the the Accord Hybrid which is really nothing other than the 12V battery and a firmware upgrade.

Otherwise, the reliability has been and still are ROCK SOLID!

Lesson and advise here: when you buy your Accord Hybrid, make sure the 12V battery is STRONG besides the Hybrid battery too.

As for the other owners have mentioned above, the ANC system is worth to look at since Accord Hybrid is the only model that has it. From numerous owner, there is indeed a problem with this...so chances are it will eventually happen to me too. But then this is more of an annoyance of noises rather than a problem. The vehicle will still be good to drive and mechanically sound. All the "extras" are bound to have issues the more there are in bells and whistles. This ANC system only activates when VCM is active (3-cylinder ECO mode) due to noises. The repairs for this is between $500-$1000 if this happens.

This leads to another potential problem that will eventually happen to all owners of Accord Hybrid...and that is the presence of the VCM. When Variable Cylinder Management engages regularly, it activates the ANC...but on top of that it also activates the Active Engine Mounts (AEM). This is due to when this vehicle is running a 1-3-5 cylinders (other 3 deactivates), a significant vibration will occur due to physics and AEM counter-reverse the effect by absorbing the vibration. Due to wear and tear of this complicated engine mounts (3 of them), they eventually may fail which will lead to a costly repair of around $2000.00 when it happens.

Other known issues worth to consider are:

1) Eventually you will face the Hybrid Battery problem. Question is the matter of WHEN this will occur. Accordingly to numerous owners, that time in a 2005 model will be around 145,000 miles (240,000 kms). For the 2006-07 models, it is unknown if the same statistics will occur.

2) Numerous owners mentioned 125,000 miles (205,000 kms) will be the time when the Accord Hybrid's compact 5-speed automatic transmission may fail needing replacement or repairs. Cost will be around $3000 for replacement.

My view to all these is simple...take it as it comes...it MAY or MAY NOT happen to you so....

Now about your purchase and your chances...I just see in AutoTrader in Toronto that there are over 5 examples available NOW ranging from $4999 - $9500. I am assuming you are in Canada since you mentioned KMs rather than Miles, right?

OK...the examples offered are all 2005's. Personally, I find an advantage of buying a 2005...it is that it is most definitely your BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK in getting this lovely Accord Hybrid!! You get almost everything luxury out of the 3 short years of this Accord Hybrid productions.

However, if you can find a deal not so crazy overpriced in a 2006 or 2007, I will get these 2 subsequent years hands down if I were you.

There are reasons for it:

1) Being that 2006-2007 involved a facelift revision to freshen up this generation's Accord looks.

2) You get the more bright and cool LED brake/night light in the back end...something only more luxury sedans will have!

3) To some, this new revised look is more clean and favorable! This is really relative to your taste, however.

4) Due to this revision look, the way the truck opens widens the mouth of the trunk overall...a slight easier to put things inside!

5) Now you have a real SPARE TIRE...heavier Accord yes but it beats anything with only a can of tire sealant in the truck on a 2005, right?

6) You gained a set of Acura identical side mirrors with same tone body colored and signal amber lights too! This is really a cool feature to have. With this, everyone who knows Accord Hybrids will know you are driving the newer 2006-07 model!

7) Passenger Airbag deactivation is improved with indicator also on 2007s.

8) And lastly you gain a moon roof as standard feature!

What I mentioned above is well worth the extra money and consideration to move up to a 2006-07 model.

Though not the best fuel economical hybrid around BUT almost nothing beats the performance part of this Hybrid that saves this much fuel while going at it. Let's say it is a very sweet trade off. You get the fuel economy of a 4-banger while you know you have the V6 power when you need it and yet...even if you floor it the fuel economy is still significantly LESS than the conventional Accord V6...and may I mention that extra 100ft of torque you get out of the 15HP motor really helps a lot when you needed it!! This Accord TAKES OFF with authority every time guarantee you that the tires will skid over any pavement till you hit 2nd gear (using its same OEM low-resistance tires, mind you).

Lastly so that you know, on my current tank NOW...I have driven 160kms so far and I am achieving 7.8L/100kms driving 100% in city! That's impressive, right?

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions. We are all here to help for sure!

Happy shopping and keep in touch!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Good review Teddy. Spot on.