2005 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery pronounced dead . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Nigel St. Hubbins
Default 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid IMA battery pronounced dead . . .

Howdy folks, and Happy New Year!

This is my first visit to GREENHybrid. I have read through numerous posts concerning the replacement of the IMA battery, but was certain that getting additional information couldn't hurt!

My facts are relatively simple. My 2005 HCH has 99K on the odometer and the IMA and Check Engine lights both went on simultaneously for the first time (to the best of my memory) other day. I have had my HCH dealer-serviced throughout (though over the past 4 years, not the dealer from whom I purchased. There are two facts about my situation that are possibly worth noting:

1. Immediately before the IMA/CE lights going on, the HCH's starter battery was pretty much dead, as a result of the trunk lid having been left ajar. It wouldn't start for a couple of days, and then when the weather warmed up a bit it started without need of a charge or cables. But it was drained to the point where the radio presets needed reprogramming, etc.

2. I reviewed my service records. At about 67K (2010) I reported both sluggishness going up hills and decreased gas mileage (from about 38.5 mpg combined (with about 50% stop and go driving on very local jaunts to 35.5). The dealer found no cause. Those events did not seem to occur suddenly, and have not gotten perceptibly worse.

My dealer said the replacement battery would be about $3,200 (unclear whether that included installation), but that he would "talk to Honda" and see if he could get me some help. (Overall, I have been happy with the service I have received.) I did not signal any commitment to getting a new battery installed by the dealer. I neglected to ask him the "what if" question, i.e., I just keep running the car with the lights on (though I get that even if this were feasible, it is still dangerous given that it essentially negates the check engine light).

Does anyone have any thoughts that might ease my plight or should otherwise consider based on the scenario I have described?

Also, has anyone done business with the aftermarket hybrid battery business, Bumblebee Batteries? I would consider a non-factory replacement if it would save me significant money and/or would provide a better product. I would definitely not be thinking about performing the replacement myself, and am uncertain about the logistics, given that they are in Portland, OR and I'm in Silver Spring, Maryland. (I was not very impressed that the links to their FAQs on the Bumblebee website — which appeared to address the logistical issue — did not function when I tried them this morning, despite trying a couple of different browsers.)

Any advice that you have would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Peter Murtha; 01-01-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo