2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Mileage at 40mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:19 AM
SL1
Enthusiast
Default 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Mileage at 40mpg

We own two hybrids, our new 2105 Accord Hybrid Touring model, and a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

We've not been able to get greater than 40mpg on the Honda, which is almost what we get on the Fusion.

The Honda has about 5,000 miles on it.

Are others getting the 50mpg or greater that we read about before we bought the Honda?

Also, when the battery indicator gets near the top, I press the EV button. The dash indicates that it's on, but it only stays on for about 50 yards, and then shuts off.

Other than these issues, we love the car. Perhaps we're doing something wrong?

Before we bought the Honda, I did a lot of research on it. The 50mpg figure seemed to be legitimate, so we went for the extra "hybrid money." I read about many drivers getting over the 50mpg. Now, all I find are drivers getting only 40mpg. So...

What number do you trust when buying a car? At least I won't wonder, anymore, why we're getting 40mpg.

Last edited by SL1; 04-05-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: After reading more on this forum...
Old 04-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Mileage at 40mpg

You can watch my MPG stats here: http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/acco...ghst457/351728

Driving style will be a huge factor here. The smoother your acceleration and braking will be, the better. Not sure why EV mode even exists on this car; all it does is drain just the battery leaving the car more reliant on the ICE.

My most recent fill-up was 15.1 gallons, after having driven 704 miles. The fill-up before it was 15.4 gallons after 663 miles. The only real difference between the two tanks was the extra 40 miles I got out of not using the A/C much at all (maybe less than 50 miles of driving with A/C). Just experimenting. San Antonio is too hot for that nonsense.

I have the Touring model, which gives me a few extra options on the dash screen. Not 100% the other trims have this, but on my there's an energy meter that shows the car's energy expenditure/waste by way of wavering from zero (neutral). Accelerating too quickly turns the green aura blue; braking too hard does the same in the other direction.

I also have the ECON button turned on at all times.

By no means should you be getting less than 40 miles per gallon!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

If you have a slightly heavy foot, up hills (even small), then EV can come off quickly, but within minutes it's back on again as the battery is charged back up.
I get 45 easy. A/C or not.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:41 PM
SL1
Enthusiast

I honestly think there is something wrong. We have two hybrids and I know how the slightest pressure can change the mileage. Nevertheless, I still struggle to get 40 with the a/c on. As far as the EV button, I never am able to pin the battery charge all the way up, and have come to realize that any extended driving with EV on is not likely.

All that said, I love the car.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry, seems like a problem then.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Goto dealer and test drive a new one (dont let on you own one already). See what happens.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

The battery is not SUPPOSED to reach full charge. The only time I've ever seen mine do that is after extended heavy regenerative braking down long hills. Also, extended driving in EV mode is not to be expected. Neither my hybrid accord, the hybrid camry I used to own, nor any prius I've ever heard of do those things. At 50 mph or less, I can get about 1 1/2 miles of EV use if the ground is level and I push the EV button to keep it in EV mode as long as it's willing to. Recharge under those conditions is about a mile, then another 1.5 miles in EV if I push the button again. I've seen nearly 80 mpg under those unrealistically good conditions. This was in warm weather, a/c off, front tires pumped up to the max on the tire sidewall (NOT what's on the door jamb of the car). I average close to 50 in town with considerable a/c use. Again, this is with the fronts pumped up. I keep the gear shift in B mode and I try to maximize my use of regenerative braking vs friction braking, mainly by letting off the accelerator early and avoiding hard braking when possible.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:03 PM
rjg
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SL1
We own two hybrids, our new 2105 Accord Hybrid Touring model, and a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

We've not been able to get greater than 40mpg on the Honda, which is almost what we get on the Fusion.

The Honda has about 5,000 miles on it.

Are others getting the 50mpg or greater that we read about before we bought the Honda?

Also, when the battery indicator gets near the top, I press the EV button. The dash indicates that it's on, but it only stays on for about 50 yards, and then shuts off.

Other than these issues, we love the car. Perhaps we're doing something wrong?

Before we bought the Honda, I did a lot of research on it. The 50mpg figure seemed to be legitimate, so we went for the extra "hybrid money." I read about many drivers getting over the 50mpg. Now, all I find are drivers getting only 40mpg. So...

What number do you trust when buying a car? At least I won't wonder, anymore, why we're getting 40mpg.
I have a 2014 Accord Hybrid and I share you problem. The most I ever got (once) was 40.1 mgg. We live in an area in Southern California that is hilly so that is probably the cause of our low milage. 38 mpg is the norm for our Accord; however, even on the open road driving at 70 I still get just under 40? I am amazed at the milage quotes on this forum. I guess if you live in Texas or Oklahoma which is flat you are out of luck on the mileage.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM
rjg
Enthusiast

I think the EV button is in the wrong place. It should be on the steering wheel vs the console.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

I live in Albuquerque and its hilly here and at high altitude. I am getting 50 mpg now. I am easy on the car but do not drive at a snails pace. Am I lucky?

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid Mileage at 40mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands