56k, New Tires Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 56k, New Tires Anyone?

Bumpity bump.....

Time for my wife's 2005 HAH to get new tires and because of budget constraints (and who doesn't have those these days?) I'm thinking about the General Altimax HP tire because they seem to be a good value with good reviews on TireRack. I haven't been crazy about the original Michelins it came with - I found their wet and snow capabilities to be lacking.... and I don't mind trading a few mpg's for hopefully added grip in inclement weather. At $75 more per tire than the Altimax, they're not an option.

OK, here's my question - the Altimax HP comes in both H and V speed ratings but the treadlife warranty on the H rated ones have an extra 15,000 miles. They guy I talk to at TireRack didn't think going to a H rated tire was even going to be noticeable, so he suggested I go with that one if the extra treadlife is important to me. I know the HAH came with V rated tires, so am I committed to remain with V rated tires?

Any thoughts here on the speed rating issue, the General Altitmax HPs, or suggestions/experiences about other tire selections? I always like input from others before making a decision. Thanks, guys.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Always drive below the speed rating of your tires and it'll never be an issue.

But seriously, V rated tires are for speeds up to 149 MPH and H rated are for speeds up to 130 MPH. Since you'll probably regularly only see 70-75 MPH, maybe even 90 MPH if you dare... going with an H rated tire you'll still be within your tire's safety margins.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Always drive below the speed rating of your tires and it'll never be an issue.

But seriously, V rated tires are for speeds up to 149 MPH and H rated are for speeds up to 130 MPH. Since you'll probably regularly only see 70-75 MPH, maybe even 90 MPH if you dare... going with an H rated tire you'll still be within your tire's safety margins.
Thanks, bar10dah, for the reply. Much appreciated.

I kind of figured the H speed rated tire would easily fall within the safety margin given my less than spirited driving style. What I was wondering was if the handling characteristics of the HAH would change by going to a H rated tire from the original V rated tire? But like the Tire Rack guy told me - I probably will not notice a difference.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: 56k, New Tires Anyone?

Here is the deal: I work at Sears Auto in CT since I got laid off from my full time job in January. I also have an 07 HAH.

1. If you got 56K miles off a set of MXV4's with a "V" speed rating, you should congratulate yourself as they are a soft, low rolling resistance tire warranted for only 25K miles (50K in the H-speed rated version.)

2. The GY Assurance Tripletread you bought is a great tire, however, its a hard tire and somewhat noisier than the MXV's. Not sure what impact it will have on mileage but I would expect you would sacrifice some. Additionally, I did not notice what part of the country you live in, but, its a rain (5th or 6th generation of the old AquaTreds) and especially a snow tire (directional and top rated by Consumer Reports on snow). I have a set on my wife's PT and they work great here in New England.

3. I have 14K miles on my 07 HAH and I will replace the MXV's with Primacy's or the Michellin Exalto AS when the time comes (another tire I own on my old '92 Accord.) Soft riding and great handling on the Exalto and usually at a better price than the Primacy's (occasionally they go on sale at Sears as a Buy 3 Get One Free along with a rebate to cover install costs - so check the adds.)

4. Someone mentioned the Prius. Most Prius's that come in to the store for tires seem to have Dunlop SP40's on them OEM. Lately though, some newer models are coming in with GY Integrity (Junk). No one has ever said a nice thing about the Dunlops. Matter of fact, the tread design reminds me of bicycle tires. That said, I usually put them in a set of Exalto's or Michellin Weatherwise (80K tires). No one has ever come back and complained about mileage.

5. H Rated Tires: Unless you are a spirited driver and a fanatic about handling, you will not notice a difference between an H and a V rated tire. Usually the H rated version can cost significantly less and also normally carries a higher speed rating.

6. Someone mentioned the HydroEdge. I am not sure if they make them in a size for the HAH. Also, I don't see how they can be any good in the snow. Thats what customers have reported back to me, and, what Consumer Reports states as well.

7. I have always been a Goodyear guy, however I really like these MXV's and the Exalto's on my older car. Additionally, my take is the 80K mile claim of Goodyear on the TripleTreads is bogus. I see it every day when customers come in to replace them, and, on my wife's PT I don't think I will get more than 55K-60K (note, I am finicky about alignments, rotations and pressures.)

8. Keep inflating your tires to 40+ psi. I love it when I can sell more tires for my commission checks. Just a little humor here guys / gals. IMO the additional mpg (especially at the lower 2.50 a gallon now) is not worth the harder ride and premature wear.

Tom

Old 08-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

second time trying to post here ..... hope this isnt duplicate.

I have an 05 with 83K miles on it.

STILL ON THE ORIGINAL TIRES folks. Was just at the dealer for maintenance and they didnt tell me to replace them but the ARE ready now.

Still on the original front brakes. Rear last 80K+.

The only problems: that pesky active noise cancellation unit and now my instrument cluster is a bit loose. Otherwise, dig this car A LOT.

haul a$$
save gas

thats what I'm sayin

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

My advice is to go to Ebates.com (4% off), then at that site, select "Tire Rack.com" (least expensive tires out there and save on tax), then get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires (the Plus is important) 225/55/R16's...you will pay a lot less for these PREMIUM
tires, but you will do better on dry and wet, and they will last longer,
so the overall cost will be about the same, but for much better performance. Inflate to 38.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CT Yankee
Bumpity bump.....

Time for my wife's 2005 HAH to get new tires and because of budget constraints (and who doesn't have those these days?) I'm thinking about the General Altimax HP tire because they seem to be a good value with good reviews on TireRack. I haven't been crazy about the original Michelins it came with - I found their wet and snow capabilities to be lacking.... and I don't mind trading a few mpg's for hopefully added grip in inclement weather. At $75 more per tire than the Altimax, they're not an option.

OK, here's my question - the Altimax HP comes in both H and V speed ratings but the treadlife warranty on the H rated ones have an extra 15,000 miles. They guy I talk to at TireRack didn't think going to a H rated tire was even going to be noticeable, so he suggested I go with that one if the extra treadlife is important to me. I know the HAH came with V rated tires, so am I committed to remain with V rated tires?

Any thoughts here on the speed rating issue, the General Altitmax HPs, or suggestions/experiences about other tire selections? I always like input from others before making a decision. Thanks, guys.
I just put a set of the V rated Altimax Hp on our '05 HAH. I suggest running them at 35psi. I like the handling but I don't have enough miles on them yet to know what gas mileage I can expect to get with them. One thing that impressed me is that General is now owned by Continental, and I read somewhere on the internet that Continental is committed to resurrecting the General brand in the US as a premium brand. And the tires were made by our friends to the south in Brazil BTW .

Old 09-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Anyone changed the WHEELS on their HAH to something sportier? Anyone know the wight of the HAH oem rim? There are some nice lightweight aftermarkets out there...maybe considering going 17"s with a 45-50 series tire.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast

My best recommendation: Go to eBates.com....register....(then you'll get 4% off)....then from there go to Tire Rack.com..(cheapest prices anywhere)..then get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (the Plus is important). They don't come in original factory size.
..have to go to a slightly wider profile R16.. tire....can call Tire Rack for assistance.....These tires are more expensive by 1 1/2, but will last twice as long....excellent in dry and wet. You won't regret it..Outperforms everything else!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

235x55x16 is our OEm size almost exactly...

And anyone read anything about the new yokohama Orange oil tires? Advan something?

Quick Reply: 56k, New Tires Anyone?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands