56k, New Tires Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 56k, New Tires Anyone?

I also bought a set of the Michelins the OEM suggested and paid around $800. They are a good tire though and my 05 HAH has over 120k on it. Most of my mileage is highway and I bought it used. The only thing I hate about them is they require a lot of air which makes the ride feel hard. Was told they will last a long time. For that price they better.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

I have Yokohama Advan S2's on the rear of my Honda Accord Hybrid.
Wouldn't buy them again. Overhyped! Suffered much on dry cornering,
which I miss the most, being an aggressive driver (dry is 95% of the time)
not too bad in wet, but lasted only 30,000 on the front.
Wheels? I went with OEM stock 16" Honda Accord (non-hybrid) sport alloy wheels which are online - I got mine through an import auto dealer. A tire shop had to grind down the outer edge of the front brake calipers to make them fit, but it was actually a fairly minor modification. (The front brakes are
Acura brakes and are wide, grinding down the shell didn't hurt anything....

Old 11-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
I just put a set of the V rated Altimax Hp on our '05 HAH. I suggest running them at 35psi. I like the handling but I don't have enough miles on them yet to know what gas mileage I can expect to get with them. One thing that impressed me is that General is now owned by Continental, and I read somewhere on the internet that Continental is committed to resurrecting the General brand in the US as a premium brand. And the tires were made by our friends to the south in Brazil BTW .
I went with the H rated Altimax HP and I've had them on the car since June. One tire developed a small bubble on the sidewall (akin to a doorbell button). I was anticipating a nightmare getting either General or the retail shop I purchased the tire from (Town Fair Tire in CT) to replace the tire but to my surprise it was relatively painless. I showed Town Fair the bubble, they called General, and Town Fair received immediate permission to replace the tire. I only ended up paying sales tax.

As for the tires (other than the bubble - but things happen) I'm satisfied. The price was reasonable compared to some other tires, the performance is more than acceptable (I don't have any experience with them in the snow but I anticipate they'll be fine). The sidewalls do seem kind of soft and running extra psi seems to be necessary (I go with 35 psi as well). They are a bit noisier than the Michelins that were originally on the HAH - but for the price I have no gripes.

Last edited by CT Yankee; 11-08-2009 at 05:27 AM.