Advice on buying a used 2005 Accord Hybrid

Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default Advice on buying a used 2005 Accord Hybrid

I'm new to the forums here (at least in terms of posting) and have a question I thought someone here might be able to help with.

I'm looking for a used Accord, and during a dealership visit yesterday encountered a 2005 V6 Hybrid with 72k miles on it marked down to $14,800. The car has been sitting on the lot for a few months, and so they have dropped the price a bit. It has only had one owner who has kept (at least the interior) in excellent condition, but I've got a question about the battery.

Looking online, I'm seeing a lot of info about Accord battery running in the range of 70-80k before needing replacement, and that they'll run upwards of $2k to replace. Obviously, this is something my fiancee and I are taking into account.

However, I noticed a line on the Carfax report which stated that the previous owner had replaced the battery at 54k miles, which originally led me to believe that it wouldn't be a problem for a while. But this does still raise a few questions (which I hope you guys will be able to help with answering):

First, is it not a bit strange that the battery would have had to be replaced at 54k miles? Again, the original owner seems to have treated the car very well--I do wonder if perhaps he just wasn't well-aware of how to keep the battery running longer.

Second, does the Accord hybrid use a standard battery in addition to the drive battery? I left the Carfax report at home so I can't read it at the moment, but I'm wondering if perhaps it was the regular battery that was replaced, thus putting the car in the perfect zone for needing a new battery (which would explain why it has sat on the lot for two months).

Third, assuming that I am nuts about the two batteries thing, does anyone have any advice for warranties, hybrid-related or otherwise? I know that the options vary greatly state-by-state, but is anyone familiar with the possibilities in Virginia? Much thanks.

Last edited by jackson6644; 04-26-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Advice on buying a used 2005 Accord Hybrid

HAH does have two batteries - the hybrid batteries (the expensive ones) and a regular old 12V lead-acid battery. Previous owner may have replaced the regular 12V battery which is entirely likely at 54K miles.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

Blast!

<shakes fist at sky>

Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Do a very careful test drive. The car should accelerate almost with no effort in high gear even at low rpm using IMA assist (if 3 or more bars of battery charge gauge are shown on the screen). The acceleration should be smooth and no vibration. If there is some jerking or vibration do not take this car. It has a problem with drivetrane.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 05 HAH on which I had to replace the 12V battery at about 60K miles. I now have 95K on it, with no problems, but am waiting for my day or reckoning with the IMA battery.

So far, it's been a terrific car.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

When you say dealer do you mean Honda dealer? If so is it a certified used car and covered by the added warranty? If it is not a Honda dealer I recommend you take the vin # and go to a Honda dealer and have a friendly chat with the service rep. They can pull the "factory" work history on the vehicle. If the IMA battery was replaced at 54K or less it would likely have been under a warranty claim. Not all dealers enter stuff like oil changes but if they got paid for it by HondaUSA it will be in there.

The regular 12V battery under the hood could need replacing anytime between <1 year and 5 years and all be in the realm of normal.

There are some good deals on used vehicles out there.

Cheers

Old 04-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've got over 86K on mine. No problems with the 144V IMA battery. But I did have to replace the 12V battery under the factory 3/36 warranty. I don't remember at what mileage I did so, though.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've got over 150k on my 05 and I get about 32 give or take mpg. I bought mine used about 2 yrs ago. I mainly drive put highway mileage on it and thats what its mainly for becuase driving in town kills my mileage bigtime. If you're buying for the city DON'T because you're wasting you're money. I really don't have many problems with it but a couple like the heated seats feel as if they're on when they aren't. It has a VERY weird drive to it probably because of the hybrid part. The transmission is not smooth and they should've put a 6 speed model in this car. This car cost just over $30k brand new and why I don't know because there is nothing in it but the hybrid battery, nothing.

I bought it beause of the gas prices and I drive so much on the highway. But Honda skimmped on the extras because there none in this car. It has an aluminum hood which in my opinion was wrong, just made it easier to dent from rocks. The only extra they put in this car was the XM radio and navigation system. Sorry the navigation system was the only extra option. If I could I'd go back to the day I purchased the car and change my mind.............................

Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

honestly, I wouldn't buy one. I've read horror stories about the electronic motor mounts going out (2-3 grand fix), tranny issues (another 2-3 grand), the noise cancelling stereo acting up, and the usual battery packs wearing and failing (2-5 grand). I would not own a hybrid without a warranty. period. There is little that you can fix yourself, and nothing is cheap to replace.

If you want good mileage and like the accord, get yourself 4 cyl manual model and be happy with years of low maintenance worry free service from it. If you take care of it, you should enjoy 30+ on the highway from it. Heck, my V6 6 speed Accord coupe would get up to 30 on the highway in mild weather (city was another story, but I could consistently get 24 if I kept my foot out of it and used 5th and 6th gear, but that wasn't much fun now, was it? )

Old 10-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Or buy my 07. No foibles at all, my overall mpg mainly in town is about 23-25.

And mine's warranteed for 7 years, so 2014 or 100k. Pearl white, tan nav, remote start from dealer when new, 48k miles. I need to sell only to buy a snob-mobile, Jaguar, to gain parity in my tony snobby town in my industry. A Prius gets nods from snobs but not an accord HAH.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on buying a used 2005 Accord Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands