Air Filter in 05 Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Air Filter in 05 Accord Hybrid

I just bought a used 05 Accord with 80000 miles on it. I got some questions like where exactly is the air filter on this car. I know this is a dumb question but I went and had the oil changed today and I really don't think they even checked it. I thinks its inline with the intake but the screws which attach it are so tight I don't think its ever been opened. So I tried to look it up in my owners manual and they don't even talk about a AIR filter at all, why?

Old 07-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Air Filter in 05 Accord Hybrid

Hmm, I'll have to flip through my owner's manual. I could have sworn the air filter replacement is in there!

Originally Posted by https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f27/35-242-miles-my-hah-may-1-2007-a-13395/
The engine air filter is pretty easy. Open the hood. Locate large black box on the driver side of the engine compartment. Use phillps screwdriver and loosen four screws holding the cover onto the airbox. The screws will unscrew from the lower airbox portion, but won't come apart from the top of the airbox cover. Which, is good, so you won't loose those screws. Then, do a little wiggle and a little maneuvering and pull the airbox cover off. You don't have to pull it out fully. Just enough to be able to reach inside and pull out the air filter. Take note of how it came out. That way, you can put the replacement filter back in the right way. There's a definite side that faces up and a definite side that goes in first. Once the new filter is in place, the reinstallation is the opposite of disassembly.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

You know something, I already tried the other day but thise screws were so tight as if it had never been open after the manufacturer put out. I have had the oil changed twice already and they always put down its good. Now I know they are lying.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Maybe, or maybe it's those mechanics that are over torquing those screws. I'd say get out there with a screw driver and get that airbox open to see for yourself. It might be good, as I don't think an oil change facility would pass up an opportunity to upsell an air filter change. There's usually a very high markup for such a job.

However, if it is in fact the original air filter... at least when you replace it you should notice a nice increase in fuel economy! After 80K miles, it's probably pretty dirty.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had this thing in 2 times for an oil change and both times they said it didn't need changing. So I located the filter, had to find my 1/4" drive rachet because I didn't have a 5/16 socket, I was really amazed that those idiots at the oil change shop didn't find this because the filter was filthy. They probably couldn't figure out where and how to remove it.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Yeah, if it's that dirty, you're probably losing a few MPG.

I think the air filter is only about $15 at an automotive parts store. I usually order my stuff ahead of time and in bulk from www.handaaccessories.com. I like using the OEM parts and they have great prices. Honda OEM parts are of great quality, so you can't go wrong.