Another oil question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Another oil question

Hello all,
I just got a coupon from my dealer for 25.00 oil changes, but in the fine print, it said "except for hybrids, 12.00 more". So I called service, and they said the recommended oil is "a special synthetic blend, 0-20 weight". I was pretty sure the manual says 5-20, and told him that, but he held firm. Anybody else heard of this?

By the way, I'm a new member, but have been following the discussions since we got our car, 3 months and 8000 miles ago. Already did the first oil change, at 5000.

crbernie

Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Another oil question

The oil for the Civic Hybrid (HCH) is 0w20. Maybe they are confuseled?

BTW, welcome to the site.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You should talk to the mgr. Sounds like their promo folks didn't update the text when the HAH came out.

I can understand no coupon for a car that requires 0W20- Insight and civic. It's hard to get 0W20, and they use less-common filters. But ALL regular Hondas (and Fords) since 2002 require 5W20- the HAH included. It's right on the fill cap. Point it out to him, then open the hood of a normal Accord and ask him to find the difference. Same oil, same amount, same filter.

If he says no, walk away. His loss.

Note- its possible to change the oil on the Accord without even getting under it. The drain plug and filter are within easy reach from in front of the right front tire. 1st car I've ever seen where I don't even need to crawl under! Honda engineers are GODS.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, so I got my 2nd oil change at about 7900 miles on Saturday. I made the appointment online at a price of $27.95. But when they went to put my info in, the service guy says the hybrids require 0W oil and says it's more expensive - about $42 with tax. So I'm in a rush and vaguely remembering something about that here on the forum, but what could I do, I wanted it done so I paid for it. I haven't had a chance to look at my owners manual and am wondering if the car really needs to 0W or if I got jipped. From what you're saying GoNavy, I got jipped. I have to look at my invoice for my first free oil change to see what they put in there, and see if it was also 0W. I guess I need to do some reading and hopefully I'll be better prepared for the next time I go to the dealer.

By the way, anybody see a need to go to Honda dealer for oil changes and maintenance because it is a Hybrid? I am just wondering if it is worth the cost and if it's worth the extra cost to go to the dealer when I could go to a local shop and get it serviced. But I definitely don't want to void my warranty in any way either.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:38 PM

The engine itself in our car is EXACTLY THE SAME as the engine in the EX Accord, which uses 5W-20. I'd ask the manager at the place you went to if they even opened the hood, or if his workers are blind. The fill cap says 5W-20 in yellow print, right there. Can't miss it. Not 0W-20. So, if anything, they screwed up! Play that card and try to get some free stuff, or at least a partial refund.

Don't even tell them its hybrid next time- they may not even notice!

The whole Joe's lube vs dealer oil changes for warrantee validity was solved in court a long time ago. Just keep you receipts.

In reality, 0W-20 ain't gonna hurt this engine. Many of us are using it; it may or may not give the HAH better mileage.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

gonavy, I glanced under the car in front of the right front tire and didn't see the drain plug and filter. Is it covered by a black plastic tray or panel? If so, any tips on removing the tray for access? A little tech lesson on '05 Accord oil change would be greatly appreciated here by the DIY crowd. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:38 AM

It's not in front of the tire, but that's where you get at it from.

The 1st time, I recommend crawling under so you can get a feel for where everything is- hang the nose over a curb or jack it up safely. And do this every now and then to check the CV boots, look for scrapes, etc.

(Ideally, the dealer put it on the lift and let you see the underside for inspection when you bought it. All you gotta do is ask. You wouldn't buy a house without checking out the basement, would you?)

The oilpan drainplug looks just like any other, and is angled down and back. Hard to see from in front, but feel the back edge of the pan and its there, next to the U-turn in the exhaust pipe (careful if the engine's still warm), about 1 foot in and back. The oilpan is sort of oblong in shape. The plug is metric, but I forgot the size (12mm?).

The filter is further forward, directly above the A-strut/suspension member from the tire to the chasis. It is higher up and vertically mounted. I recall the OEM filter was blue? Another nice touch/coincidence is that the area under the filter is relatively clear, so oil doesn't drain onto too many horizontal surfaces when you take the filter off. Not as easy as Fords, but far easier than GMs.

As expected, the OEM filter is very tightly installed- I needed to put some grippy tape inside my wrench to get it off. And make sure you buy a bag o' washers for the drainplug- Honda doesn't use a gasket that you can expect to reuse for years- this washer won't make it through more than 1 tightening.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast

I'm just coming up on my first (7500 mile) oil change. I asked the dealer what they would put in - he said a 0W20 synthetic/non-synthetic blend.

When I got home I checked the manual, which says 5W20.

Here in NC it doesn't often get too cold so probably the 0 vs 5 won't make much difference, but I'm wondering if I should INSIST on a 5W20.

I might also ask them to change the filter even though the manual says to leave that till the second (15,000 mile) service

Thoughts anyone ?

Old 11-01-2005, 03:26 AM

shouldn't matter, but I would point out his error (very nicely), just so he knows for the future.

0 is thinner, could give you fractionally better mpg when the engine is not warmed up. The "20" part means it's the same as 5w20 once everything is at operating temp.

filters are cheap- never hurts to replace them; you can never have too new of a filter or oil that's too clean.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:14 AM

Hi All:

___Mobil1 0W-20 is a slightly more fuel efficient oil then even the excellent Mobil1 5W-20 and both can be used in your AH.

Kinematic Viscosity

Mobil1 SAE 0W-20 (ASTM D-445)
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 43.0
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.4

Mobil1 SAE 5W-20 (ASTM D-445)
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 48.3
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.8

___The lower the Kinematic viscosity, the easier the flow, the higher the FE.

___And about those filters … A hot topic no matter what kind of automobile forum you belong too The Walmart purchased SuperTech ST7317 (fits the Accord I4, the V6, and the V6 hybrid) can be had for < $2.20. It is a Champion Labs designed and manufactured filter (best ADBV’s - Anti-Drain Back Valves - in the business) and is a semi-synthetic media w/ superior filtering without an increase in DP (pressure drop across the filter) over its intended life. Champion Labs makes the Bosch, STP, Mobil1, and Supertech’s with the Mobil1 having a 100% synthetic media although a higher DP from initial install to end of life vs. the other three.

___In regards to changes, never allow your local dealership to use there own oil and filter, bring your own! The change itself works out to ~ $10.10 as of my last change with 2005 shop rates. I supply a SuperTech and 4 quarts of Mobil1 for the I4 (I have no idea what the V6 AH holds?). $32.00 in total for a 100% best in the business oil and filter swap out and it is recorded. If your local dealership does not offer an oil change for a great price using your own oil and filter (some do not), find another one that does! The nearest Toyota and Acura dealerships do not so I do not visit them. I take the Acura, Toyota, and Honda to my nearest Honda dealership (only 9 blocks away ) for all my oil change needs. The Ranger is high enough off the ground so I can get underneath her with no problems so I do her own except in Mid-winter of course … From what GoNavy has posted previously, the AH is an extremely easy change so consider it yourself if the local stealerships are overcharging like what has been posted in this thread.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Quick Reply: Another oil question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands