Anyone changed or checked the plugs in a HAH yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone changed or checked the plugs in a HAH yet?

I recall reading info on this somewhere but cant find a trace of it now.

It looks like a complex procedure, especially when the car is running great.

My HAH doesnt even have that many miles on it yet, but curious how to get to the back ones and if someone here has already done it and if there was any improvement if the plugs were changed. Oh, and of course which plugs did you use?

I use the Bosch +2's in my Prius and they worked great. I used em also in my PT cruiser and they were awful, took em out a week later they were so bad.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info.

Tony

Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone changed or checked the plugs in a HAH yet?

When I reach required spark plug replacement mileage(108kmi) in about 8 more years I expect it will cost around 1500- 2000 dollars at the dealers.Let's see timing belt,plugs, water pump Maybe I'll trade it off by then..

Old 03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

I have a actual Honda Accord Hybrid Service Manual for 2005-2006. Under the maintenance schedule they recommend replacing the spark plugs along with the timing belt at 105,000 miles. They refer me to page 4-25, however all this page shows is how to inspect the plugs. It does not give any direction as to how to replace them. I've look through some other pages, and as far as ignition coil module replacement, they essentially have you removing the plastic engine cover and then just pulling out the ICM's. I have not looked at my car personally, but perhaps they are fairly easy to get too.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree, I'm going to wait until the recommended replacement interval of 105,000 miles or 7 years for the plugs. I'll also be doing the timing belt and inspecting the water pump at that time.

Something else I also noticed, the coolant and transmission fluid's first change interval is 120,000 miles or 8 years! Holy crap!

Another thing that's coming up for me is the brake fluid replacement. 3 years independent of mileage. My 3 year mark is coming up in August. Even though I know how to change brake fluid, like many other things, I'm getting to the point where the time it takes to do it isn't worth the $40-50 it costs to pay a shop to do it.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is it really necessary to change the brake fluid? What happens if you don't? I had a 1986 Acura Legend for 18 1/2 years and never changed the brake fluid and never had any problems. In fact I've never changed the brake fluid in any car I've owned over the last 40 years. I've only heard this mentioned recently, is this something new or have I been putting myself at risk all these years?

Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Enthusiast

You know what is annoying, if you go to the dealer and by one gallon of anti-freeze, it says in bold letters good for only 60,000 miles. Yet your owners manual says 120K. What gives? I didn't know this prior to changing it, which is a very simple job by the way. My goal was to be a little over zelous and do the preventative maintenance sooner in the hopes to avoid any future problems, since I'm racking up miles like crazy.

As far as the spark plugs, are you really going to have to change all 6? I doubt it. I'll bet you'll find that the front plugs look far better than the rear plugs since, to my understanding, it's the back three that are running in eco mode. (which figures since they are the hardest to get too)

On the break fluid I'll agree with daddywags that I've never changed break fluid or have noticed any problems that stem from it. However, everyone I've talked to has stated that break fluid absorbs moisture, which probably will eventually affect the performance of the ABS system. Since those components are extremely expensive compared to $50-110 for a break fluid flush every 3 years is a small price to pay.

On a side note, I have also changed the trans fluid already (with castrol brand). It was fairly simple too. (just a fluid change not a flush) I'm planning to change the fluid again this spring sometime with Amsoil full synthetic. I know I won't get a 100% change of the oil, but it will be close. Personally I don't have any faith that a trans flush is safe. With clean fluid and a clean magnet a trans will work itself clean over time.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I haven't had any problems with my '93 GMC which I didn't change the brake fluid for something like eight years before I got on the every two year replacement schedule as in my GMC service manual. However, I had a '90 Jetta I bought used that had a sticky front caliper. When I went into an AutoZone to buy a new caliper, I described the problem I was having and the guy behind the counter said it could be a combination of factors. One being that the brake fluid was never changed. The rubber hoses deteriorate over time and tiny bits of the rubber break off and travel up and down the tubes. It's possible that all the crap in the brake fluid lines started clogging up towards the pistons end of the brake lines in the calipers so when I pressed on the brakes, they'd chomp down on the rotors. But when I let off the brake pedal, the pistons took awhile to release the rotors because the crud in the lines kept the pressure built up in the calipers. The guy behind the counter said there were other reasons why to change the brake fluid, one being what was already mentioned: moisture.

The rear bank of plugs may not be as worn out as the front bank, but I'd change them out at 105K miles also. I wouldn't want to push them out to 210K, the next interval. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do them myself or just let the mechanic do it while he's in there doing the timing belt.

Originally Posted by www.ahm-ownerlink.com
Normal
The "normal" schedule is fine for most drivers, even if they occasionally drive in severe conditions.

Severe
Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:
Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in freezing weather)
Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F)
Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving
Trailer towing, car-top carrier, or mountain driving
Muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads
Even though I live in AZ, I don't believe I fall into the severe category, fully. Most of my trips are over five miles. Sure, it's over 90 degrees F in the summer, but not year round. With autostop, I don't do extensive idling even in stop-and-go driving. No trailers, car-tops, and hardly ever mountain driving. No mud, moderate dust, and rarely de-iced roads. So I wouldn't follow the severe schedule, but I do somewhat go between the normal and severe schedule. Such as, instead of changing oil out at a normal 7,500 or severe 3,750, I do it at every 5K.

Transmission fluid:
For normal conditions, the service manual says to replace the ATF at 120,000 miles or 6 years, then every 90,000 miles or 5 years. For severe, it says replace at 60,000 miles or 3 years, then every 30,000 miles or 2 years. I may go 90K then every 60K.

Coolant:
For the engine coolant, the service manual says to replace engine coolant at 120,000 miles or 10 years, then every 60,000 miles or 5 years, regardless of normal or severe schedule. I'll probably do my first flush and fill around the 105K spark plug and timing belt change, especially if I have to replace my water pump. Mostly, because the vehicle will already be in the shop for the timing belt replacement. Might as well do the coolant at that time, too. Then, I'll do it every 60K.

Of course, this is just what I'm thinking I'll be doing. You guys should do what you're comfortable with. Just keep in mind, doing your service intervals too soon (than what the service manuals describe) doesn't give you a vastly greater benefit in longevity. I think the benefit of doing the next maintenance interval sooner is on an exponential scale. Meaning, the benefits of doing the next interval sooner is small at first, but the closer you get to the actual interval, the greater the increase in protection.

If the x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents benefit, and if -4 on the x-axis represents the new fluid, and +4 is the replacement interval, we only get a benefit value of 1 right in the middle, if we do the change interval in half the recommended time. However, the closer we move to the acutal change interval, the greater the benefit. So instead of cutting your interval times in half, maybe it would be more cost effective and better break even point to do it would be around the 75% life mark instead? Afterall, isn't one of the reasons why we buy hybrids is to reduce our consumption of petroleum based products? Fuel, oil, lubricants, etc...

Of course, there are my views. Your mileage may vary...

Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK time travelers, it's 10 year later and now we have 109k and getting misfire codes.

Any tips on getting to the rear bank of plugs? Just in time to do plugs, coils, belt and a new battery for about $4k-it's Y4k!