Bad coil code

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Bad coil code

Hi all, LTNS. 101k and counting on my 07 and so far, not too bad. My tech said I had 9 codes, one being 4 bad coils and also spark plugs.

Anyone had to do their coils yet? any tips? Thanks!

Old 05-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bad coil code

OK, has anyone used the cheapo aftermarket coils from ebay or elsewhere? They're a fraction of OEM or Beck Arnley but money foolishly saved perhaps in hot FL?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I needed a coil for my 220K miles '06 HCH2. I bought a Hitachi OE style from Rockauto for $45. I needed only one. I was able to diagnose with coils from my other '06 HCH2 at the time.

If I ever bought the coils on eBay, I'd assume they were junk and would be pleased if I "got lucky"and they worked... ready to throw my money in the trash.

BTW... there are no codes that tell you plugs and coils. There are misfire codes that could be plugs or coils... or other things... but usually plugs.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply last year...!

My tech says he's still getting 'tune up' codes now at 105k. He thinks the IMA battery is going also but I see no change in performance but that may be just from a gradual, unnoticed diminution.

If it needs the ima, timing belt, coils-plugs, the a/c compressor which is making odd noises, maybe it's trade in time...

Old 07-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You really need a new "tech." He sounds like a bullsh1tter that knows nothing about the HCH2.

As I mentioned a year ago, there is no coil or plug code. Furthermore, "tune up" codes do not exist. Error codes exist. Error codes generally identify permanent or intermittent conditions that require repair.

ASK HIM FOR A PRINTOUT OF THESE "TUNE-UP CODES". YOU WILL LIKELY FIND THAT HE CAN'T DELIVER THEM.

Maintenance should be done in accordance with the Honda Maintenance schedule, i.e., your AB123 display.

I'm 99% certain the HCH2 has a timing chain - not a timing belt.

Coils are not changed as a tune-up item. They are changed when they fail. Plugs are usually neglected, but they are changed. I don't remember the interval... 100K?

Your "tech" just wants to keep you coming pack so he can keep pumping you for money because he thinks you're an easy target. He "thinks the battery is going also" because he can install a $1400 battery and charge you 2X that and still be $500 less than the dealership. He'll make you think you're not getting bent over. What a guy.

Here is how you tell if an IMA battery is bad:
1) P1600 code (general IMA fault - probably battery)
2) P0A7F code (battery deterioration - replace)
3) Manually checking the voltage taps and seeing > 0.2V variation in resting voltages.
4) Using Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) or an equivalently robust professional grade diagnostic tool that shows the battery is reporting significantly reduced capacity.

There are other ways, but they are far more time intensive than any "tech" would be willing to invest when they could be doing other work that takes 30 minutes while they can bill $100/hr.