Brake FADE

Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake FADE

More information found on NHTSA site; we are not alone. (Apologies for the spam on this folks. But I hope this helps save someone from an overly exciting 'ride' or worse.)

Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
Year : 2006
Component :
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK

Date Investigation Opened : May 13, 2009
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION HAS RECEIVED 52 COMPLAINTS ALLEGING LOW OR SOFT BRAKE PEDALS IN MODEL YEAR (MY) 2006 THROUGH 2008 HONDA ODYSSEY MINIVANS. SEVERAL COMPLAINTS ALLEGE THAT THE CONDITION RESULTED IN EXTENDED STOPPING DISTANCES, INCLUDING 4 ALLEGED CRASHES AND 2 ALLEGATIONS OF VEHICLES RUNNING PAST STOP SIGNS/SIGNALS. ON JANUARY 14, 2009, HONDA ISSUED SERVICE BULLETIN 07-045 CONCERNING LOW/SOFT BRAKE PEDALS IN CERTAIN MY 2003 THROUGH 2007 HONDA ACCORD AND MY 2007 THROUGH 2008 HONDA ODYSSEY VEHICLES. A REVISED BULLETIN WAS ISSUED MARCH 5, 2009, ADDING MY 2007 THROUGH 2008 HONDA ELEMENT VEHICLES. THE BULLETIN DESCRIBES THE CONDITION SYMPTOM AS FOLLOWS, "WHEN YOU APPLY THE BRAKES, THE BRAKE PEDAL TRAVELS LOWER AND FEELS SOFTER THAN NORMAL." THE BULLETIN IDENTIFIES THE PROBABLE CAUSE AS, "THE ABS/TCS OR VSA MODULATOR-CONTROL UNIT HAS LEAKED AIR INTO THE BRAKE SYSTEM." THE BULLETIN REPAIR PROCEDURE INVOLVES REPLACING THE ABS/TCS OR VSA MODULATOR CONTOL UNIT. SOME OF THE ODI COMPLAINTS INDICATE THAT THE BULLETIN PROCEDURE WAS PERFORMED TO ADDRESS THE CONCERN. BECAUSE ODI'S COMPLAINT INPUT IS SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER FOR THE ODYSSEY VEHICLES, THEY ARE THE SUBJECT VEHICLES OF THIS INVESTIGATION. HOWEVER, ODI WILL ALSO REQUEST INFORMATION FROM HONDA REGARDING THE OTHER VEHICLES IDENTIFIED IN THE BULLETIN. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY AND POTENTIAL SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Honda brake recall , was: Re: Brake FADE

FYI, Honda brake recall on 410k odyssey / elements. AFAIK, VSA (the attributed root-cause) is also used in HAH, which is not in the recall:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/business/17honda.html

Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake FADE

I did get the VSA modulator replace on my 2006 HAH in 2008. Replacement was suggested in a TSB based upon the symptoms I saw. I did not have a soft pedal or required more effort to brake, but one day Engine Check, VSA active and VSA on lights all lit up while braking in a turn. All lights went out after cycling power on the engine. Dealer found same symptoms in a TSB and replaced VSA modulator. So there seem to be other symptoms of VSA module problem than just soft pedal.