Buying Accord Hybrid tomorrow, any advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Buying Accord Hybrid tomorrow, any advice

Hi
Any advice when we go to the dealer to pick up Accord Hybrid? Don't want to pay the $2000 for the GPS system, so does anyone know if the Honda GPS system can be installed in the DASH BOARD after market? Any input ...if you have done this on your car???

Old 04-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying Accord Hybrid tomorrow, any advice

Evening, Mark. No, it can't be added. The NAVI unit/screen is an integral part of the system controlling the audio, a/c, and trip computer, along with other options.

With that said, it IS worth it. I've NEVER heard someone say they wished they'd saved the money and bought one without; BUT, you can find NUMEROUS posts on this site stating their regret for not getting one.

You can buy dash mounted units, but the Honda OEM unit is incredible, PLUS the trip computer is invaluable in FE feedback.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Contributor ($)

Mangel,
I know you are asking about the Navigation system, and I cannot answer that question.

But more importantly, from what I'm hearing, and what Tink is reconfirming, is that without the Navi there is no instantaneous mpg display.

You may not realize it now, and current hybrid owners will tell you, that without some kind of instantaneous display of mpg, it will be very hard to reach the full mpg potential of your car.

Without the Navi all you'll end up with is a trip cumulative average of your mpg. While the cumulative average mpg is helpful, it still does not help you with fine tuning your mpg technique.

Now you could add an aftermarket gauge for the instantaneous mpg for under $150. See this thread ScanGauge on Honda Accord Hybrid

Again, I realize this doesn't answer the Navigation add-on question, but thought I should point out this important fact.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Site Founder

Some voice in the back of my head remembers reading somewhere that some car replaces the default instantaneous display with the Nav display if there is a Nav so the information isn't redundant. Is that the Accord or am I just halucinating?

Old 04-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Rarely post anything

(so that's what happens on a 50th post...you become an 'active enthusiast'... )

Don't think that's the Accord, Jason...although I couldn't tell you which car that does apply to (and if I could, I'm in the wrong line of work... )

I can confirm what erickbecky says -

*Without the Navi upgrade, you will have no instantaneous FE capability built into the car*

That being said...

Can you *get* a tool that will show instantaneous ? Yes. Get a ScanGauge - about $150, and you'll have access to about 20 data items *besides* instantaneous.

"Can I get an aftermarket Navi system ?"

Sure. Either handheld (like Garmin, et al), or, have someone put a custom head unit in one of the 2 open DIN sized slots underneath the standard HVAC / audio stack. All depends on price you want to pay.

"Can I get both of those for less than the $2000.00 upgrade cost of the OEM unit ?" Sure.

"Will it look nicer ?" That's subjective. Most people probably prefer a totally integrated look, but there's something to be said for giving that up in favor of better performance at (potentially) lower cost.

"Will I recoup the investment if I get it ?"

Judging by the cost of the option, and using the traditional residual value on Accords, I'd say about 60% in the first 3 years, less after that.

"Will I be able to haggle on price on a car with it ?"

No. The HAHs that are selling fast are the ones *with* Navi. Just about full MSRP on those, if you find one. The ones *without* can get an 'ok' all the way to 'great' discount, depending on what area of the country you buy from, and if you're willing to take a car off the dealer's lot (the longer it's been sitting, the better the deal you'll be able to negotiate).

Hope that helps. And I'll confirm what Tink said - I've never seen anyone who got it say they wished they hadn't - but the inverse is certainly true. Nothing to obsess over, though. The important thing is that you're going hybrid, with all the resultant benefits to both you and us. And whatever car gets you there is a good thing, and not to be discounted.

All the best,

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 04-06-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
"Will I be able to haggle on price on a car with it ?"

No. The HAHs that are selling fast are the ones *with* Navi. Just about full MSRP on those, if you find one.
While I realize this has been the norm, I've found I've ALWAYS been able to get a discount on ANYTHING. I spend a LOT of time looking, though. I'm in West Texas. I found a dealer in Louisiana who would sell a HAH at invoice. I asked why. He said he was trying to bump his allotment by selling more now. I asked about a NAVI and he said he would this month for the same reason. Next month? Maybe no.

Tried to get my dealer in Dallas to match. They were incredulous. Finally said they would do one at $500 over invoice. Talked to my local *small*dealer in Abilene (who had all HAH's - NAVI or not - marked at $2k over MSRP). After hours of "talking", they agreed to $400 over invoice - reasoning was I would be out some money flying to Louisiana and driving back.

My wife's '05 Odyssey EX-L was also a hot seller. I don't remember what invoice was, buy Abilene wouldn's budge off MSRP. My Dallas dealer gave me $2,900 off MSRP.

I did have to wait 3 weeks for them to find a Dessert Mist - I like the interior MUCH better on that color.

If you're patient and a good negotiator, it pays off. Oh, and the local dealer was still peeved over a "ha ha letter" the Dallas dealer apparently sent them for selling one of their customers (when I bought the Odyssey).

Not everyone likes to haggle or spend the research time. Your results may vary. Good luck!

p.s. When I stopped in to the Dallas dealer to test drive the HAH, my salesperson who sold me the Odyssey said, "At least this time, I'll be able to make some money." I told him that if he could make money and still be the cheapest I could find, I'd be happy for him. He responded that he was confident that would be the case. I'm sure he did - just not from me.