Cell phone charger almost always blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cell phone charger almost always blowing fuses

What's up with the 12v outlets?! Three out of the four times I attempted to charge my cell phone I blew the fuse (both outlets). These are 20 amp fuses.
The service manager at my local dealership tells me that "it's normal" for some phones. I say that's ridiculous. The phone only draws ~700mA.
Has anyone had this same problem and found a resolution?
Thank you in advance.

By the way, I love my Accord hybrid. I've had it for six and a half months. I bought it new.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cell phone charger almost always blowing fuses

The phone may only draw approx 700mA, but your charger seems to be pulling a hell of a lot more. Did you use your charger in another vehicle prior to the HAH successfully? Have you run any other accessories off the 12V outlets? If you can, see if you can run the charger in another car for a while and see if the problem follows.

I regularly run radar detectors, accelerometers, cellphone chargers, GPS units, and even a portable cooler off my 12V outlets and have yet to blow any fuses.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast

My cell phone charger, which I'd used successfully in other cars (including my '92 Accord), also blew a fuse in my '05 HAH when I plugged it into the center console (inside the armrest). I decided not to put it there any more, and didn't have any trouble when I put it in the outlet next to the non-ashtray.

Perhaps this is a "characteristic of the vehicle."

Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That sucks. I wonder what else is on that circuit? Did you notice anything else that wasn't working when your fuse blew?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you. Besides my '05 Accord Hybrid, I have an '06 Accord EX-V6. I have used the same charger without trouble in it as well as in my Jeep. I have not run any other accessories from the Hybrid's outlets.
Thanks again.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

When my center console outlet fuse blew, that outlet was the only thing I noticed that wasn't working.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

After getting a new phone, I also found that the charger would blow the fuses on my 2005 Accord Hybrid. (this charger would work fine in my Camry Hybrid, and the old phone's charger used to work fine in Accord Hybrid). The Honda sevice manager blamed the charger, and got another phone charger to work --in the front power outlet. But when I plugged this in the center outlet, fuses must have blown, and it now works nowhere. Is this a problem with the car? the charger? does anyone have any solutions if I want to use the center outlet. Or is GeorgePBurdell's the best solution? THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S POSTS!!