cheaper than HID's

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default cheaper than HID's

i just installed a set of sylvania silverstar halogen bulbs in my headlights. i also changed out the turn signal light from the amber color to the bright white color to match the headlight, its looks so much better! the turn signal bulbs are made by Xenon. both of the new lights i put in are the bright white color it almost has a blueish tint to it, and are brighter than the OEM bulbs.

i think they look great and i got all the bulbs for under $40.00 and installed them myself. i'll try to post a few pics in a day or so.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: cheaper than HID's

silverstars are great but they burn out quickly (within a year, mostly). depends on how much you use the headlights. they certainly are brighter and whiter though.

after a bumper bash where one of my silverstars shattered, i switched both lights to stock again. i'll think about buying another silverstar the next time i have 20 bucks in my pocket and pass by kragen's...

Old 12-06-2005, 05:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

yeup... about a year. there is a reason why they burn "white".

Old 12-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image839.html

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image840.html

these are the pics of the new turn signal bulbs

bye bye orange!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 AM
World's First Hybrid

Just had to replace my silverstars after 13 months of service. Pretty much what I expected from a std halogen bulb/lifespan. Lights are on a lot here in new england.

Replaced them with the new silverstar ultra's. They claim to be better and to last 30% longer than the std silverstars. We shall see.....

The new ultra's seem to put more light down the road than the old ones do.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: cheaper than HID's

I may just have to check out the Newer Silverstars.

Comment from above Post:
Replaced them with the new silverstar ultra's. They claim to be better and to last 30% longer than the std silverstars. We shall see.....

Terry (tiger)

BTW, I have the I guess now Older Silverstars.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So they'll last approximately 16 months instead of 12? Sheesh... At least they're making progress. On their website, they do suggest changing headlights every 12 months whether they need them or not, in the name of "safety." I guess that's their disclaimer so nobody can fault them for the lights burning out after 12 months.

I did check out the website and googled a few other sites that had some comparisons on them. They seem like they do have better illumination, but only marginally. One particular website had the same type car both pulled up to a garage door at night. One car had standard halogens and the other car had the ultras installed. The ultras were whiter, but did not look brighter. I think if they were to cast the beams down a road, it would look like the ultras were brighter. But again, only marginally.

On another site, they described how companies can manufacture bulbs that put off that white appearance. They have to add a blue filter to the light. And that's why some headlights tend to look blue. It wasn't the original intention of the manufacturer. But a few people saw the blue haze and decided it looked cool. So of course, marketing took over. And now we have several options out there to get headlights with a true blue look to them. But anyways, I digress. In order to get a halogen to look whiter, they have to apply a blue filter to them to filter out the yellow. So when they do this, they essentially filter out some of the available lumens. So a blue filtered bulb actually produces less light output when compared to a similar bulb. I think Sylvania uses a different type metal in their bulbs. And that's how they can get brighter lumens out of their lights while still filtering out the yellow.

The ultras do look like they're a good product. And I got really close to pulling the trigger on ordering a set. But I'm still not convinced on paying for this mostly cosmetic upgrade. Perhaps when one of my OEM bulbs burn out, I'll buy a pair of the ultras to check them out. Because by then, I'll have to spend money either way. So the initial hit for paying more for the ultras is reduced.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: cheaper than HID's

For what it is worth I have the Silverstars in Both my Mercedes and HCH II and I can tell you that in the Rain and at Night you can see the White Lines marking the separation of the Lanes a lot better. Not a little better, a lot Better.

I have had the Silverstars in all my vehicles for the past I guess 3-4 Yrs. and they are worth the money.

Hint: Go to any Super Wallmart to purchase them. They sell them in Sets.