Check Fuel Cap Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Check Fuel Cap Message

On my way home tonight from work, I got a Check Fuel Cap message on the dash. I stopped the car, opened and re-seated the fuel cap. Message is still there, when I got home did the same thing, both times, turning off the engine, reseating the cap, and restarting. The message is still there.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Check Fuel Cap Message

That happened to me once on a day when it was pouring with rain. Stopping the car then opening and reseating the gas cap did not get rid of the message. However, the message went away later in the day after the rain had stopped.

Wierd!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Message went away this morning on the way to work. It is weird.

Bill

Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same issue... My Check Fuel Cap message was coming on for no reason. I had not just filled up or anything. The message went away after about a day or so... This happened three for four times before I discovered a larger issue. I found out that this was a symptom of my larger value issue. Error codes were being flagged as fuel cap when they were not...

Read the Engine Miss thread. If it happens again, I'd take it in and have them run the codes. You might start experiencing the misfires and get the read check engine light next...

Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Major Uranium Miner

This happened three times with my HAH in the first few months after delivery. Twice I got the vehicle into the dealer before the message went away. The dealer replaced the fuel cap and sensor in May06. The problem cleared temporarily and then returned for a few days I think some time in June06.

No recurrance since then.

I don't think that this was related to a misfire or other problem. Being an engineer, I am very attuned to misses, stumbles etc. Never once has anything like this happened with my HAH. In fact, the engine is so well balanced and smooth it is almost scary. A miss would be obvious.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

Ross,

It certainly seems as if my car is running a parallel path to yours. My oil change is about 2 months away, I will have it checked then.

BTW, I have not had any check engine light, or codes.

Bill

Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

Did you read my recent "Engine Misfire" thread? Sounds like we had the same problem. I also had the gas cap light, but it went out after a couple of days like the book says.

Chuck