Congress approves carpool lane for Hybrids!! But not the HAH!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Congress approves carpool lane for Hybrids!! But not the HAH!!

So I assume everyone has heard, Congress has given the okay for hybrid use of the carpool lane. Here is an article from L.A. Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...102,full.story

Unfortunately, the cars must get at least 45mpg, which rules out the HAH! I'm so disappinted, but not surprised since DMV never listed the HAH as a potential car that would be able to take advantage of this bill when passed.

Just doesn't seem fair. But I suppose I didn't buy my HAH just on the hopes that I would one day be able to ride the carpool lane by myself. I bought it for the comfort, roominess, luxury, amenities, power, fuel economy, beauty...I could go on and on. I don't even have a carpool lane available on my daily commute anyways, so I guess I'll be ok.

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Banned
Default Re: Congress approves carpool lane for Hybrids!! But not the HAH!!

Think about it - are you going to be able to hyper-mile in the HOV lane?

Lots of wrecks happen in Dallas in the unbarracaded HOV lanes by people cutting into them on a whim then hear a thud from someone that was going 20mph faster they didn't see.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

Yea I know what you mean. I've seen people do that, flying on the regular lanes and then when some congestion comes up, they change over to carpool without even looking. Can be very dangerous, and a huge fine if nothing else.

Again, I'm somewhat disappointed but I love my HAH and wouldn't trade it for anything. I don't think I'd get much advantage of the carpool lanes anyways. When I do travel on the weekends on highways with those lanes, I usually have passengers anyways.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

think next year they are adding the HAH to the carpool list, i heard they add 2 cars each year to it. My friend bought one and said this was true. Anyone else confirm this?

Old 09-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Should the 05 ULEV-II rated AH (29/37) be able to use the Carpool lanes when the LEV based Toyota Echo (33-35/39-42), ULEV-II rated Toyota Corolla (30-32/38-41), ULEV rated Honda Civic (29-31/37-38), and PZEV rated Honda Accord (24/34) cannot?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Last edited by xcel; 09-20-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:39 PM

If they add the accord then they might as well add the Escape to at least please the domestic multinationals. But I really don't think it's gonna happen, nor should it. What's the current criteria? 45 MPG? I think that's more than just. Maybe in the future it will change to 60 so that manufacturers will have more incentive to make high MPG vehicles and the lanes won't be so full of ok-ish MPG cars.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:35 PM

I'm tired of hearing people whine about not getting all the perks others are getting. Owning a hybrid does not entitle one to anything, other than personal satisfaction. If those who make the rules want to toss a benny or two to those who are doing a particularly good job of stewardship, fine.

I did not buy my HAH for a 1-time tax break or free parking, though I do jump into HOV when in Virginia since I can. If I am allowed to get a benefit, cool. Conversely, I won't ***** about it if I can't.

We're sitting in leather-wrapped luxury, enjoying our built-in XM. How much more do you want? Our car may be all that and the bag of chips to us, but not to others- our MPG isn't all that hot, after all.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Gonavy, your humility is admirable to say the least. Looking at your tanks and being very aware of how helpful and participative you are here at GH, you of all people (let alone HAHers) have the right to raise cane with this issue. That you do not is a testament to your sense of civic duty, and that - to say the least - is apparent to everyone here whether you drive in a particular lane or not. Kudos, sir.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:59 PM

Hi GoNavy:

___I have to agree with everything HelterSkelter just wrote. You sir are of the finest caliber in my book.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-21-2005, 08:03 PM

I agree, and as my daughter would say: Gonavy gets a gold star !

Quick Reply: Congress approves carpool lane for Hybrids!! But not the HAH!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands