Cruise Control: Good even in city driving?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Cruise Control: Good even in city driving?

I was testing a coworkers commute in the HAH and I decided to be fair and use Cruise Control mostly as to give a proper idea as to likely mileage he would receive. I found that the Cruise control was an excellent driver. I noticed that it did everything possible to stay in "eco" mode. It seemed like I would have to have a pretty awesome feel in foot to equal it. Test yeilded 35.6 mpg on about a 40 mile commute.

After getting the sense that the CC worked hard to attain FE (I maybe wrong but that was the sense I got), I started using CC in my city commute which moves at around 35 to 40 mph. I feel this may be a tool that gives your foot some rest and has the computer pinpoint the proper depth of throttle for remaining in eco mode.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by ilan22; 10-07-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Cruise Control: Good even in city driving?

What speed was the 35.6 mpg 40 mile commute?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

70mph in very hilly freeway (210 to pasadena) with ac.

Last edited by ilan22; 10-07-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:38 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Cruise Control: Good even in city driving?

Originally Posted by ilan22
70mph in very hilly freeway (210 to pasadena) with ac.
Hi ilan22; I have personally found that believe it or not it can give your wallet a break also for these little speed traps that produce such great revenue. Set cruise at 35 or 40 MPH and you don't have to worry about getting that paper work from your friendly police person. It-Works:

Terry

Old 10-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My experience is the opposite- all cruise controls work to maintain SPEED, not engine load. As such it doesn't care about eco or not- it does what it needs to do to maintain XX mph. By coincidence it may be maintaining ECO better than your foot can.

Having said that, initially CC probably will get you better mpg than your foot, until you train your foot to achieve a light touch. Once you get a feel for maintaining LOAD as opposed to just SPEED, your mpg shoots through the roof.

Case in point: 33 mile rolling hill commute, >80% highway. 65mph nominal.
With CC: 38.x mpg.
Untrained foot (when I 1st bought it): 36mpg.
Now, with trained foot: 41mpg on a bad day. Yeah, my speed drops to 60 on hills, but the engine load is more constant.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:34 AM
04 prius 350,000km

^ good argument that goes to show CC is more useful in highway driving than city

Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hi: I drive a civic hybrid 2008, it has 2,000 or so miles now. I tried to do all the instructions regarding using light foot.....now I have found w/ using my cruise control I get the best milage. I put it on, as soon as I am at 25 miles per hour, if that is the speed limit.

Otherwise I just follow speed limits. what happens is that in my high altitude city of Santa Fe, NM, I get 46.8 to 47.0 mpg in town, in simple street town traffic. This is far better than when I was "hypermiling" using all those instructions, trying to keep the "fe" at the top.

This milage is far better than anyone thus far with whom I have spoken....

I also have heard from our Honda dealer that people don't get anywhere near this milage in town here at this altitude. They tell me that high altitude decreases your mpg .... I do not know this however, as I get really good milage using CRUISE CONTROL. In fact I think that this cruise control is not the usual type, I think it does somehow control optimum calibrations of all factors to give you the highest milage, otherwise I do not understand why my milage is so so good in town.
thanks for listening. steve