Fed up, bad mpg from hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Fed up, bad mpg from hybrid

Hello everyone i am new to the forum. After some research i still havent found any answers. I drive a 2005 accord hybrid with 65,xxx miles. So my IMA and engine light turned on. I was only getting 22mpg overall. Take it to the dealership and good thing it was still under warranty. They replaced the IMA battery but i was still only getting 22mpg overall 280 to 300 miles per tank. Took it to a different dealership to confirm the battery was replaced and it was. They scanned it and checked it and found nothing. All software up, to date. Only thing he found was that the car had some cheap spark plugs to replace them with ngk dealer specs. So i did and sure now its at 25 mpg only getting 330 miles per tank. The display is pretty accurate as per my calculations. What else can i check. There is no check engine light on. Car was rescanned, new oil change, new car battery, new ima battery, new ngk plugs and new tires. I dont even know where to start. does the mpg on your dash even go passed 30. mine doesnt even go passed 25 and my commute is mainly 80 percent highway and 20 city. Highway driving is 65 to 70 mph and city 45. High way readings dont pass 25 mpg on dash and average of 24.4 in city or worse 23. I mean almost everything is pretty new even cabin air filter. Only thing left to do is replace my transmission fluid and my timing belt at 70k. I drive the car as most of you having the co light on all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Fed up, bad mpg from hybrid

No one can help

Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I assume you bought this car used since you mentioned it had the wrong plugs. What kind of tires did they put on it? Probably not the LRR Michelins that came with it new. That can knock 10% off your mpg. What is the tire pressure? You want at least 35 psi or higher. Are any of the brake calipers not fully releasing. Feel if any of the wheels feels hotter than the others after driving it. Remove all dead bodies from the trunk, extra weight can affect mileage.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

There are too many factors that can affect mpg - hybrid or not. You already took care of many of the mechanical things. As daddywags said, check the tires. LRR tires are good for mpg. I run mine at 3 psi over manufacturer recommendation and get good fuel efficiency. Driving style makes a very big diffference.

I can easily get 38 mpg on the highway in my 2006 Accord hybrid. 24 mpg in the city is easily achievable. So the car can deliver good fuel effciency.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:39 PM

2006 Hybrid As you can see, I am getting 31.7, this is city driving and I jackrabbit and hit the pedal...alot...same with my brakes..I brake..alot. You deff should be getting more than 24 in the city. Something is deff wrong either with your driving or with your car.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BABYACCORD
Hello everyone i am new to the forum. After some research i still havent found any answers. I drive a 2005 accord hybrid with 65,xxx miles. So my IMA and engine light turned on. I was only getting 22mpg overall. Take it to the dealership and good thing it was still under warranty. They replaced the IMA battery but i was still only getting 22mpg overall 280 to 300 miles per tank. Took it to a different dealership to confirm the battery was replaced and it was. They scanned it and checked it and found nothing. All software up, to date. Only thing he found was that the car had some cheap spark plugs to replace them with ngk dealer specs. So i did and sure now its at 25 mpg only getting 330 miles per tank. The display is pretty accurate as per my calculations. What else can i check. There is no check engine light on. Car was rescanned, new oil change, new car battery, new ima battery, new ngk plugs and new tires. I dont even know where to start. does the mpg on your dash even go passed 30. mine doesnt even go passed 25 and my commute is mainly 80 percent highway and 20 city. Highway driving is 65 to 70 mph and city 45. High way readings dont pass 25 mpg on dash and average of 24.4 in city or worse 23. I mean almost everything is pretty new even cabin air filter. Only thing left to do is replace my transmission fluid and my timing belt at 70k. I drive the car as most of you having the co light on all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Are you driving it in D3? This will give you more horse power/higher RPM but kill gas miles.. Run in D!!!! Dont ask me how i know... GF was driving in D3 thinking it was overdrive... NOT!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes I am almost certain you are driving in D3 rather than "D". That mileage you are getting sounds about right if you were to drive D3.

If that's not the case, then I will say you will need to give me a breakdown how the car behaves. Does the Assist comes on when in 5-6 bars? With 5-6 bars, HAH will always want to assist no matter what till you depleted it to 4 bars. 6 bars it will assist every gear after 2nd...5 bars it takes a bit more lighter foot.

Does the battery deplete normally?

Any info you can give me I can help.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

I have an 06, its all on how you drive. You cant expect the car to get awesome gas mileage if you have not learned the trick of the trade yet. Take your time and study the car and how much gas you are giving the motor and make sure you brake early to charge the battery. try your best to start off using little gas as possible and utilize the electric motor assist as much as you can. Make sure the ECO light stays on during all driving conditions. I keep 40psi in my tires at all times, tires and tire pressure play a huge part. Most hybrids use a low rolling resistence tire so make sure you have those. I just took this photo two days ago cruising to pittsburgh doing 60mph and i averaged 40mpg the photo is blurry but its the best i could do lol

Old 05-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Vincent is right...definitely the MPG in the picture is achievable at highway speed.

I would have given very similar advice for you BABYACCORD.

Few recaps:

- Make sure HAH is always cruising with ECO green icon on. You need to give a very light foot to keep it there.

- Make sure when you stop...also give only enough pressure to have a full stop at your intended stopping point. Key is to look far ahead and start apply light brake ahead of time. The pressure should be applied just enough for a full GREEN charge bar to appear...nothing more and nothing less. This lets the motor does the slowing down for you.