Floundering

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Floundering

As some of you know, I've been researching an Accord Hybrid for some time. Although I'd love to purchase an 06 w/navigation, I really can't afford to, nor do I want to spend $31,000 or more on a car.

I finally located an 05 Accord Hybrid w/o navigation. The dealer has agreed to sell it to me for $24,500, which is an awesome deal. However, this 05 doesn't have a navigation system, which is one of the things I really wanted.

Just for fun I began researching an 06 Accord EX-L. It gets 24 mpg city and 34 mpg highway, which is very close to the 30/37 specifications of the 05 Accord Hybrid and it does 0-60 in 8.13 seconds—only 1/2 second slower than an 05 Accord Hybrid. Quite frankly I was very surprised at the performance of the L4.

I can purchase an EX-L for about $500 less than the 05 Accord Hybrid and get leather, navigation, and a moonroof. I'm beginning to see why the Accord Hybrids aren't selling as well as some of the other hybrid cars. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. Should I get better performance, a little more mpg, and help save the earth with a HAH, or should I get all of the cool toys with the HA-EX?

Help me decide.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Floundering

Originally Posted by kcrossley
As some of you know, I've been researching an Accord Hybrid for some time. Although I'd love to purchase an 06 w/navigation, I really can't afford to, nor do I want to spend $31,000 or more on a car.

I finally located an 05 Accord Hybrid w/o navigation. The dealer has agreed to sell it to me for $24,500, which is an awesome deal. However, this 05 doesn't have a navigation system, which is one of the things I really wanted.

Just for fun I began researching an 06 Accord EX-L. It gets 24 mpg city and 34 mpg highway, which is very close to the 30/37 specifications of the 05 Accord Hybrid and it does 0-60 in 8.13 seconds—only 1/2 second slower than an 05 Accord Hybrid. Quite frankly I was very surprised at the performance of the L4.

I can purchase an EX-L for about $500 less than the 05 Accord Hybrid and get leather, navigation, and a moonroof. I'm beginning to see why the Accord Hybrids aren't selling as well as some of the other hybrid cars. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. Should I get better performance, a little more mpg, and help save the earth with a HAH, or should I get all of the cool toys with the HA-EX?

Help me decide.
Actually, 0-60 time for the Accord Hybrid is more like 2 seconds faster than the I-4 Accord - all that low end torque from the IMA system. Don't forget you also can get a $650 tax credit for buying the 05 HAH as well. That said, if you want a car with moonroof and nav then the I-4 Accord is still a great car. You really can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by VMA131Marine; 07-25-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the toys-per-buck is your test, go for the EX. Good FE/low emissions is good FE/low emissions, any which way you can get it.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bryan, I noticed you're getting 35.9 mpg with your Accord Hybrid. Is that average mpg or best ever. Also, what year is your HAH?

Old 07-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VMA131Marine
Actually, 0-60 time for the Accord Hybrid is more like 2 seconds faster than the I-4 Accord - all that low end torque from the IMA system. Don't forget you also can get a $650 tax credit for buying the 05 HAH as well. That said, if you want a car with moonroof and nav then the I-4 Accord is still a great car. You really can't go wrong either way.
Oops! You're right.

HAH 0-60 = 6.5 sec
HA-EX 0-60 = 8.13 sec

Wow! That's fast! Uhh oh! I'm starting to lean the other way.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kcrossley
Oops! You're right.

HAH 0-60 = 6.5 sec
HA-EX 0-60 = 8.13 sec

Wow! That's fast! Uhh oh! I'm starting to lean the other way.
Ample quickness from 0-60, but noticable quickness (coupled with mid range torque) at speed too, which comes in handy. Coming down the interstate on ramp at 50 mph and get "boxed in"? No problem, punch the accelerator pedal until the blue assist (IMA) bar pegs to the right and boom, you jet to 80 mph (and beyond if needed) in no time.

Speaking of HAH FE, trip from piedmont NC to NC mountains this past weekend. 198 miles each way. Return trip (198 mi), with lots of downhill, was 41.5 mpg, R/T was 32.5 mpg, including running around a small mountain town (meals, shopping, sightseeing, etc) for 2 days.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands